Easton axis 5 mm HIT

Hey guys. I've been doing the cold bow challenge and have been thinking about my arrows. I have been shooting easton axis 5 mm 340s for about 6 years now. My question is this - what is the technological advantage to the HIT system? It seems to me like the arrows would be better off (stronger) with more of a normal insert with a collar. I am currently shooting them with a 50 grain brass insert instead of the stock insert and am wondering if some type of external insert or half out type of system would be stronger on hard impacts. I have had a few arrows get damaged on the end between the end of the HIT and the actual end of the arrow. I guess I am considering moving to a different insert or half out and am looking for opinions - I'm not even sure that I can remove the brass currently installed either. I'd like to be able to index my broadheads and right now I have a few where the shop installed the brass too deep and they won't even accept my magnus stingers (field points screw in but the stingers have a shorter ferrule).

I just ordered the same setup your running and have the same concerns. I have no personal experience but from the research I’ve done I’m considering running some footers to help reinforce the shaft. Looking forward to what others input

carmanusa

FNG
I believe the goal was to have a perfectly tipped carbon to marry up to the broadhead for the best flight. Can the arrow lose strength I wouldn’t think so if done right. As for footers then that would change and would likely be more durable. I am running the ethics archery products and I do like their fit and finish. As for removing your current inserts there are tricks, the drill bit swing...careful, but depending on your install it may be a mute point as they may set for life. If your current setup is fine leave it but is want to change there are options.
2a43f9d8e6763ed103807b70ff517de8.jpg

Easy solution is to ad the iron will collar to your Axis shaft. The advantage of the Hit is that you have a 5mm shaft vs a 6mm standard or bigger shaft. The problem with half outs is that most people aren’t meticulous enough to spin every arrow when inserting them to make sure it spins 100%. The Hit system has the Broadhead in the shaft so it’s as straight as the shaft!

Here is an iron will collar. Comes in two weights 10 or 25 depending how much you want. Makes an axis almost indestructible!219202F9-FF0E-49F3-BF72-6B1BAF00E38A.jpeg

Zac

WKR
Yeah was just gonna reply with the same thing. Elk River Archey, and Iron Will both make excellent footers. Probably the most bomb proof system around besides Valkyrie.

+1 for the drill bit in the shaft and swing trick. Super effective at getting out inserts.

I'm in the process of building some Axis 5mm with goldtip components. The 600 spine gold tip accu tough (traditional classic) insert and ballistic collar will match up with a 340 axis 5mm. Its a really easy add on. The insert weighs about 70gr and the collar 16ish. Not sure what you pay for iron wills but the gold tips will add about $30 to the cost of your dozen.

Brendan

WKR
Use an Iron Will Collar if you're worried. I have an Axis 300 with a 50 gr brass HIT in it, Easton BAR collar, that I've been shooting at stumps and grouse since 2016 and it's still going strong. Probably couldn't get the BAR off if I tried at this point, but arrow has held up and it's been shot into a lot of stumps and trees.

I personally like the Axis and these because I can run a 125 gr field point, or a 100 gr broadhead plus 25 gr collar. Collar fits the Axis perfectly, so no need to glue on.

I've never been able to remove a HIT installed with the Easton 2-Part Epoxy. Pretty sure it's in there for good.

The problems arise with HIT’s when guys use the incorrect glue when installing. If you use the Easton 2 part epoxy like just mentioned then you shouldn’t have any issues. Lots of guys use glue where you're still able to remove the insert and upon impact with something solid the point/broadhead come back and contacts the tip of the arrow and damages it.

If installed correctly, no collars or footers are needed for Axis arrows. They are a solid option though if you want to add a bunch of weight to the front of the arrow.

Brendan

WKR
The problems arise with HIT’s when guys use the incorrect glue when installing. If you use the Easton 2 part epoxy like just mentioned then you shouldn’t have any issues. Lots of guys use glue where you're still able to remove the insert and upon impact with something solid the point/broadhead come back and contacts the tip of the arrow and damages it.

If installed correctly, no collars or footers are needed for Axis arrows. They are a solid option though if you want to add a bunch of weight to the front of the arrow.

This is a good point here. Chamfer the arrow using the easton chamfer stone, install to the correct depth using the easton insertion tool and 2 part epoxy, and let dry horizontal for 24 hours.

I use the Iron Will Collars for insurance and so I have the option of running either 100 or 125 grain heads, can't say I've ever damaged an Axis without them though.

OP
180splitg3
Appreciate the info so far. So, it sounds like the advantage of the axis HIT system is maximum broadhead alignment with the shaft.

Has anyone used these - https://www.3riversarchery.com/easton-5mm-half-out-inserts.html

IF I could get my brass out I was thinking of trying these in the 25 grain version and then switching to a 125 grain broadhead to keep my arrow weight the same. I have tried footers and didn't care for them. I'm sure they tremendously increase the strength of the front of the arrow, I just thought they were a hassle all year pulling them out of targets...

Brendan

WKR
I personally hate half-outs, more trouble than they're worth. I think you're much better off with the HIT and a collar from Iron Will.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Appreciate the info so far. So, it sounds like the advantage of the axis HIT system is maximum broadhead alignment with the shaft.

You're looking at this backwards. They didn't design an arrow around the HIT system, they designed the HIT system around the arrow. When they came out with .204" ID arrows, they designed a slim diameter arrow with thick walls for better durability and strength. Well, a normal insert won't fit inside of that arrow and also allow points to be inserted as well.

So they developed the HIT insert. Most likely because outserts and halfouts suck so badly.......especially from the distant past. I've been using HIT's in several different arrows over the last 12+ years and haven't had any issues with them......and I shoot 75lbs at 32 1/2" draw. I'm sure a sleeve or collar would make them even more durable, but I haven't seen a need for them as of yet.

KineKilla

WKR
If you shoot bag targets then half outs, footers or anything else that creates a "lip" will suck to remove. I have been able to remove the aluminum HIT inserts using the drill bit method. I had one shaft take on a bulge right at the insert so it went in the "cut down for later" pile. These were used shafts to begin with and I got them cheap so no loss.

I try to run HIT inserts (brass) in all my arrows. I like that my field points' diameter matches up almost perfectly with my shaft making a streamlined finished product.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I run the same arrow set-up: Axis 5mm, 50g brass HIT. With broadhead (Cutthroat 150g) I also run an Easton BAR and have not had any issues with arrow damage. With field point I don't run the BAR; don't feel the 5g difference changes my POI. When shooting field points I shot a bag target and like KineKilla noted; if the point and arrow have any diameter differences it is a PIA to remove from the bag and wears them out faster; years ago I shot Victory VAP with the insert/outsert that tore my bag up and this was one of the reasons I went to the Axis. I like the idea of an outsert but so far have not found the need for it; BAR seems to do the trick for me.

S.Clancy

WKR
Honestly, I've never had a problem with durability. I've shot 2x4s at 20 yds, rocks (missing and blowing through animals), and watched them skip 300 yds through the desert. Only ever broke one, and that was shooting a rock at 40 yards. They're the best arrows I've shot.

WKR
Its definitely possible to remove the insert using the drill bit method when you used the Easton 2 part epoxy.

Sometimes it takes only a few swings, other times A LOT more swings, but they can be removed if you keep at it.

KineKilla

WKR
I run the same arrow set-up: Axis 5mm, 50g brass HIT. With broadhead (Cutthroat 150g) I also run an Easton BAR and have not had any issues with arrow damage. With field point I don't run the BAR; don't feel the 5g difference changes my POI. When shooting field points I shot a bag target and like KineKilla noted; if the point and arrow have any diameter differences it is a PIA to remove from the bag and wears them out faster; years ago I shot Victory VAP with the insert/outsert that tore my bag up and this was one of the reasons I went to the Axis. I like the idea of an outsert but so far have not found the need for it; BAR seems to do the trick for me.

Another option that I want to try is shooting Victory RIP TKO arrows (.204ID) but using the brass HIT inserts instead of the half-outs Victory supplies. The half-outs are fine in themselves but suck with bag targets. The Axis really suck to pull from heavy foam block targets and even my deer target....REALLY SUCK! The Victory arrows have some type of coating that makes them easier to pull. I think this could be a "best of both worlds" combination.

MattB

WKR
My sense is the Axis/HIT tip weakness issue is one that primarily exists in the back of the mind of internet posters and not so much in real life. Footers/collars certainly add some strength, but I question just how much benefit they provide in actuality.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the BAR is only for protecting the cut end of the shaft from Broadhead blades that would normally rest against the end of a traditional insert right? Ie. if your shooting a Rage you should use them but not necessary for a Montech?

jmez

WKR

Has anyone used these - https://www.3riversarchery.com/easton-5mm-half-out-inserts.html

IF I could get my brass out I was thinking of trying these in the 25 grain version and then switching to a 125 grain broadhead to keep my arrow weight the same. I have tried footers and didn't care for them. I'm sure they tremendously increase the strength of the front of the arrow, I just thought they were a hassle all year pulling them out of targets...

If you are going to try those put them in with hot or cool melt and buy about 3x more than you need. Much easier to remove and replace the bent ones with hot/cool melt.