Easton HIT Inserts Pulling out of Black Eagle Rampages

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Bill, that kit is cool. I just ordered one.

As soon as my back ordered arrow saw arrives, I will be building 6 Rampages with IW 100g inserts and SS collars, so would love a conclusion on the acetone use. I shot Rampages last year with BE FOCUS system and used their INSTAbond....absolutely zero issues and I did not rough up the insert or inside of the arrow. Cleaned with a q-tip and acetone....saw no issues.

Bill, what are your thoughts on sanding the insert a bit to rough it up?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bill, that kit is cool. I just ordered one.

As soon as my back ordered arrow saw arrives, I will be building 6 Rampages with IW 100g inserts and SS collars, so would love a conclusion on the acetone use. I shot Rampages last year with BE FOCUS system and used their INSTAbond....absolutely zero issues and I did not rough up the insert or inside of the arrow. Cleaned with a q-tip and acetone....saw no issues.

Bill, what are your thoughts on sanding the insert a bit to rough it up?

I would scratch up the bore and use what the manufacturers recommend, which is alcohol for Easton and nothing but a dry wipe for Black Eagle. I'm building up some Black Eagle Rampages this week myself. I don't think sanding the insert is needed since it has grooves machined into it for the epoxy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've never had a single issue building Black Eagles, Victory, Gold Tip, Easton, PSE, Quest, Arrow Dynamics, or Carbon Tech arrows using acetone as the cleaning agent. Ever. Bore brush to rough it up, q tip with acetone, reverse and use the dry end to make sure it's dry. Wipe the insert with acetone to remove any oils left over from machining, and then either glue or epoxy as usual and you're done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Little update on this.

Built another dozen.

Prepped them all by wrapping some 320 grit sandpaper around a drill bit and scuffing up the inside a bit.

Half I cleaned with a Q-tip w/ acetone, the other half I cleaned with just water. After drying for 24 hours both seemed to have the same amount of dust residue (minimal).

I also did a few of each w/ the Easton Epoxy and some with the Devcon Epoxy (2 Ton/24 Hour). One thing I found interesting was that the Easton epoxy was still ever so slightly tacky/soft after a week (or at least the portion of it that was on my mixing tray was).

I did a lot of epoxy work growing up working on misc. boats and surfboards so I'm pretty confident I didn't mix it wrong. So far I haven't lost any inserts though which is good!

The other experiment I did was with the AAE fletchings. On one arrow I skipped the primer for two AAE PM 23s as I'd seen some claim the PMs didn't require priming. First shot and one of the vanes flew off. AAE suggests using the primer for the PM line and I'm going to continue to do that as I haven't had any issues otherwise.

eZzNVdOh.jpg

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I've used a Q tip with isopropyl alcohol rubbing the inside clean and either 5 minute epoxy or the epoxy provided......and not lost one insert in about 30 years doing it this way.

No sanding or scraping necessary....I don't want to influence the area where the ferrule touches.

______

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
FWIW, I've used a Q tip with isopropyl alcohol rubbing the inside clean and not lost one insert in about 30 years doing it this way.

No sanding or scraping necessary....I don't want to influence the area where the ferrule touches.

______

That's what I did on the first batch that ended w/ 4 of 6 inserts pulling out. I did the same on the Axis I fletched at the same time though with no issues so I'm thinking it may have been a coating or some sort of residue on the rampage that lead to that...?

I shoot the rampage with an IW 75 gain insert. I had a few broken arrows and wanted to recover the inserts. I had used Easton epoxy and the drill bit whip technique popped the inserts out surprisingly easy. One arrow was very stubborn as I had the insert come loose and glued it back in with AAE max impact glue. The drill bit whip didn't work. With the arrow broke I had nothing to loose so I soaked the end of the arrow in acetone for 24 hours. The arrow looked fine and the AAE glue was still holding strong. I ended up having to heat a field point up and clamping it into my vise to pull the insert.

I soaked the inserts in acetone to remove the excess glue and the Easton epoxy dissolved in a few hours. The AAE max impact glue never fully dissolved even after 2 days.

I learned 2 things from this. First, acetone on a q tip and ran down a rampage shaft for a few seconds will not hurt it (but do as you will). Second, AAE max impact is now my go to insert glue.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I use Bob smith industries IC-2000. It will not pull out.

Down sides - it sets fast. you must be preped, cleaned, spun, lined up, everything. working time is 10 seconds or so. Its permanent as well. There is no removing an insert and recutting an arrow. I whipped a drill bit for 10 minutes until I thought my arm was going to fall off. I split the shaft before the insert came out. That was a 300 spine gold tip pierce platinum. I used the same things on my brothers rampages and he has never pulled a insert.