Effective Range Challenge Info

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Hello All, sorry for the lack of attention to this section. I will attach the info video I did with Robby explaining the Effective Range Challenge and giveaways. Check back here for the daily shot scenario or go to the Rokslide Youtube channel. Make sure you post your comments there to be entered in for the giveaways. I will also be posting the same videos on the Alpha Bowhunting Instagram page and there will be additional prizes for comments on that page.

OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Well first shot scenario I can't do with the stick bow. I don't think. I'll try it.

I know some of these may be tough for the trad shooters so you may have to modify slightly. Possibly sit up on a short bucket or block.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know some of these may be tough for the trad shooters so you may have to modify slightly. Possibly sit up on a short bucket or block.
Phil it wouldn't let me comment on the Rokslide YouTube channel not sure if you have them turned on or not.

It's a shot I haven't taken in long long time much prefer to kneel down. I did get busted once after scooting into position on a Muledeer tried to get my knees under me and just popping up that tiny bit got picked off.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK here’s my MER arrow at 55 yards, it’s the one barely in the vital, and then I moved up to my 2/3 and that’s my second arrow.
6c45fe9e32c0d5bbd00291222a8fc05e.jpg

Good practice shooting from my butt. These shots do happen. I’ve been ambushed by bucks before and just had to lay flat on the ground, good to have that practice where you can just sit up and shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was just going to ask why someone would pick a sitting shot. I’m not very flexible and I can’t sitting legs crossed on my butt “Indian style” so I’ve never attempted that shot. I’ll give it a go for fun. I shoot off my knees pretty often.

Jimbob

WKR
I was just going to ask why someone would pick a sitting shot. I’m not very flexible and I can’t sitting legs crossed on my butt “Indian style” so I’ve never attempted that shot. I’ll give it a go for fun. I shoot off my knees pretty often.

Just sitting on the ground enjoying the afternoon sun and an animal appears without making a sound. The bow is lying on your lap but your in the open and the only movement you can get away with is knocking an arrow and drawing.

The above scenario has never happened to me but I could see it happening. I would probably still be patient and try to get to my knees though. Nice to know you can do it off your butt though.

I tried it. Surprised myself, I shot straight gangster style. Had the bow parallel to the ground and string was drawn straight into my chest. Wasn't but 25 yards as I figured I'd miss. First 2 were a little low, 3rd was pretty good on elevation. Definitely more of a trick shot with a 62" recurve, couldn't get to my normal draw length but it was fun to try.
IMG_20200427_125036765.jpg

I'll edit this to show my compound I shot later in the day.

Shot was interesting as my 80 yard shot is from the center of the farm lane. I had a fence to contend with. I really thought my arrow would hit it but I figured what the hell, atleast I shoot cheap arrows.
IMG_20200427_165534320.jpg

First arrow is center, shot a second arrow from the same position it went a little right, but the wind picked up as I was shooting. It feels like Kansas around here the past month.
IMG_20200427_165852753.jpg

I didn't move up and shoot from any closer. Maybe that's more of the point of it, but I felt pretty good with the first one.

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
Interesting! When I hunted with a trad bow, I practiced for kinds of positions.

I tried with my 62” recurve also. Almost parallel to the ground. Funny thing is I was turkey hunting this morning sitting under a cedar where i almost got this exact shot...except the gobbler caught me going back to my knees because I didn’t like the feel of sitting! Oh well had action spot and stalk after that. Threw every shot sitting right of my target at both 30 and 20 yards. Took extra shots and was hitting the same exact spot. Precise but not accurate. Elevation was great though. Felt like I was reaching my anchor well so I suppose I was not releasing well in the sitting/twisted position. Hit my three random stump shots this morning when standing so I need to practice sitting more lol.0EBFA96D-743B-4F8F-BF42-4A3350BBE325.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife and I will shoot these but leave YouTube comments to others.

Today was interesting to say the least. We are pushing our distance along with the random positions. We know the 2/3rd's distance is within our MER so pushing the limits is in order. My wife is also increasing her poundage. I'm still shooting my bow from the MER challenge.

It took us a few shots to get our positioning and windage right but I think that's the whole point of this. I missed a turkey last year from this position so it's usefulness is obvious to me.

Thank you Phil and Robby for another challenge! This shot was tougher than I expected. I’ve never practiced this shot before. I set my MER at 60 same as the cold bow challenge. Hit high and left. 2nd shot I moved up to 40 yards my 2/3 range and hit much better in the kill zone.
340aafdd11e3974a9b34e99e026bd5d4.jpg

Day 2
ffcaa9648fab3e1fd46fdd2ad87ae284.jpg

Moved my MER back to 65 for this shot. First arrow hit high and outside. Moved up to the 2/3 range at 44 yards. Hit closer to center but still have much room for improvement! Also switched targets. I feel like I struggle a lot more shooting at dots rather than 3D.

Day 3
0630a43cc201b709eb3f731606d33a13.jpg

First shot at my MER 65 was left and a little low. This was a tough shot and felt awkward for sure. More pin movement than I’m used to. 2nd shot moved up to my 2/3 range at 44 and got the 12 ring

Day 4
1e1ebfa2f870b162152238141703d484.jpg

Well my first shot from 65 was right in the money. Then I moved up to 44 and disappointingly hit high and right. Definitely need to get more consistent!
(Side note: I’ve had my Garmin Xero for 1 year now. I really like it but sometimes I experience some “ghosts in the machine”)

Day 5
ca491e8bcda53cebab7f84f545b311f5.jpg

Got my shots in just before dark! Probably my best round of the challenge so far. First arrow was at 64 MER. High 8 ring. 2nd shot moved up to 2/3 range 45. I felt my bow arm drop and hit way low. I gave myself a mulligan and shot one more arrow. High 12 ring all about FOCUS.
(My vision was very blurry today. Still recovering from brain surgery. 1 more week I’ll be at 6 months post-op)

Shot #6
7674c691bb7aaba0d433de2881bc889d.jpg

First shot was my MER at 65. I tried shooting regular nocks instead of nockturnals. Hit high out of the kill zone. Moved up to 2/3 range 44 yards and hit much better in the kill zone. Shot 2 groups of 2 standing at 65 to finish practice. Both groups looked just like the picture above. 1 good arrow and 1 high arrow. The high arrow in the first group was in the center on the 2nd groupfrustrating

Shot #7
5e8481d208da2449f3300f60d5b85586.jpg

Very tough shot. I tried my MER at 65 yards. Hit about 6 inches right and 3 inches low of center. Still might have caught lungs or liver. 2nd shot at 2/3 range 44 barely found the 12 ring very realistic shot scenario. Good tips to keep core tight and keep pulling on back wall.

Shot #8
385163915836ae5b296b1dd208bf215a.jpg

Shots felt good today. First arrow from 65 MER on the left hit 12 ring. Second arrow from 2/3 44 yards hit a little right in the 8 ring. Really focused on the target and not my pin.

Shot #9
585c6fa2eadfdc7d78a44d05e4758c2d.jpg

First shot at 65 was a few inches low. I tried to hold for 1 minute but I let down at about 50 seconds. Second shot at 44 I held for about 30 seconds before I started shaking. Good shots to practice!

Shot #10
a5287e241162ba14f5491139d4dfa912.jpg

Happy to finish out strong. I extended my MER to 75. Arrow on the right in the 8 ring. Second shot was from 2/3 range 50. Hit 8 ring again. Thank you Phil and Robby for hosting! Great challenge

Last edited:
OP
Phil Mendoza

Phil Mendoza

Super Moderator
Phil it wouldn't let me comment on the Rokslide YouTube channel not sure if you have them turned on or not.

It's a shot I haven't taken in long long time much prefer to kneel down. I did get busted once after scooting into position on a Muledeer tried to get my knees under me and just popping up that tiny bit got picked off.

Comments are on for that video on the Youtube channel. We have a few others that have commented already. Are you logged on to your Youtube account? I know I haven't been able to post on a video in the past when I wasn't logged in.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Make sure you’re logged in or YouTube won’t let you comment.