Effective Range Challenge Info

68Plexi

WKR
This is out of my league but it sure will be fun to watch your results! I may try some of these challenges just for fun. Love the continued push to practice, even if it takes prizes to motivate. Situational MER is going to be even more of a reality check, but that’s good IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Is this correct for the drawings? For non-instagrammers:
1) subscribe to Rokslide YouTube channel, not alpha bowhunting
2) shoot the scenario
3) comment on that scenario

That's it?
If we miss a day, can we shoot it within a day or two and the comment still count?

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is this correct for the drawings? For non-instagrammers:
1) subscribe to Rokslide YouTube channel, not alpha bowhunting
2) shoot the scenario
3) comment on that scenario

That's it?
If we miss a day, can we shoot it within a day or two and the comment still count?

You got it man. Although I would recommend subscribing to alpha bowhunting channel too . Always good stuff on there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Geeeez
5d4c2420a55142ada8eeeee52619768b.jpg

That top arrows my 55, bottom is my 2/3 at 37 yards. Both shot cold bow & off my knees per today’s scenario. Looks like I have a long tracking job today.

Man I should’ve stayed in bed

BigWoods

WKR
Great challenge in forcing us out of perfect stance & level ground! Very timely as I'll be trying to tag a turkey with the bow starting Friday morning.

I probably won't post a picture daily, but so far things are starting off right. Seeing as I'm shooting field points for this I'm doing a MER of ~60yds.

Day 1 went well. Too close to remember which shot was 1st & 2nd. The orange dot is about 5":
IMG_20200427_164248.jpg

Day two, they were a bit further apart, but still well in the orange.

I can edit my first post and put this in it. But figured this one isn't filling up as fast, just trying to keep some discussion going.

Most important part for me-
IMG_20200428_132559531.jpg

Shot 2 @ 80. First was with my butt resting in my heels like in the video, the second upright on my knees. Cold shot, no warm up. 15 mph cross winds. First shot I guess I didn't compensate enough, the second too much. Wind from the right going left.
IMG_20200428_133126374.jpg

Went up to 65 and repeated it, with much better results.
IMG_20200428_134110107.jpg
First shot (my butt rested on heels) was centered and good. Second shot a little left with the wind and a little high.

Fatcamp

WKR
We moved our target to be in a more exposed area today. Where we had it a north or west wind was blocked by trees both at our shot location and the target while the flight path was exposed. Moving to a more exposed area all along the range will allow us to more accurately call the wind.

That didn't help us much today but this event did get us out shooting in the wind. Gusting to 20? left to right. We were both able to make some good shots and put a little more data away for the fall.

Pretty ugly. That's a shot I have never liked. No warm up, 80 and 65 yards with 12 mph crosswind.
IMG_20200429_190849271.jpg

About 6-7" low, both more or less exactly same poi.

Hopefully it was getting closer while I was changing positions. Going to work on it and see if I'm still low at closer ranges.

Fatcamp

WKR
Better today. Not quite as windy, maybe gusting to 20, probably a little less, left to right. 50/30 me. 40/30 her.

KIMG2874.JPG

Our intention is to hunt with the wonder dog. He has to follow us, sit, and stay for our shots. The standby person controls the dog. He is doing well.

Last edited:

BigWoods

WKR
Well day 3 was tough! Both arrows went left. A few more arrows afterwards at 2/3 were even more erratic.

Moral of the story: rotate legs of at all possible or wait for the critter to get closer.

So created an account on YouTube to comment there, apparently when doing that I changed my name in my email settings as well. Everyone was wondering who the hell this Billy Goat guy was, a little embarrassing. I prefer to keep work and play seperate.

Fatcamp

WKR
So created an account on YouTube to comment there, apparently when doing that I changed my name in my email settings as well. Everyone was wondering who the hell this Billy Goat guy was, a little embarrassing. I prefer to keep work and play seperate.

LOL. That's why we decided to participate without involving YouTube. Worried our professional lives would get mixed up in it with unexpected effects.

LOL. That's why we decided to participate without involving YouTube. Worried our professional lives would get mixed up in it with unexpected effects.

I'm ignorant to how a lot of this stuff works, and like that nobody can find out much about me.

Fortunately it was a mundane name. Could have been way worse.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished the shot kneeling with a twist. Lower arrow is my 55 yards, top arrow is my 37 yards. This was a 14 mile an hour winds, so I wasn’t very steady. But fairly happy with it.
0d4c221ec346f6f76e91209658b2044c.jpg

2c79ce1e9b74898fd493d4e7619b8e29.jpg