El Coyote quilts

Anybody on here have any experience with El Coyote quilts? They’re a fairly new cottage company out of Arizona and their quilts look pretty intriguing. 900+ down fill, baffle constructed, and fully custom fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
Anybody on here have any experience with El Coyote quilts? They’re a fairly new cottage company out of Arizona and their quilts look pretty intriguing. 900+ down fill, baffle constructed, and fully custom fitted.

Don’t do it!! Knowing you’re just a smidge more weight obsessive than I am....but the down quilt I have I never take anymore because my synthetic is so badass....but I have a things against down these days due to a few certain soaked hunts where the synthetic quite literally saved my life.

OP
AK Troutbum
I hear you man, and if I had a bad experience, I might be thinking about going back to synthetic as well, but I’ve been using down quilts now for the last 7 years and so far things have gone well for me. I really don’t know why I’m even considering another quilt, as I already own four, ranging in temperature ratings from 0 to 35°, but I’m always searching for something better I guess. I’ve never had a quilt with the true baffle design and I wonder if I might be missing something.

Last edited:
Don’t do it!! Knowing you’re just a smidge more weight obsessive than I am....but the down quilt I have I never take anymore because my synthetic is so badass....but I have a things against down these days due to a few certain soaked hunts where the synthetic quite literally saved my life.

Whit kind of syn. quilt do you use ?

I’d like to see some more specs once the sight is fully up. Always open to buying new gear if it fits the bill.

OP
AK Troutbum
Just got this in today, and initial impression is, WOW! This will be going to Kodiak in a couple weeks and I have some very high expectations. The craftsmanship on this quilt is truly amazing, and in comparison to the three EE quilts I currently own, it is easily as well built/sewn. I think the baffle construction is going to be a game changer as well. I’ll do a review on it in a few weeks after I have a chance to try it out.
8eca61bc7cbbdaa958c1d4014b5b0d77.jpg

62a502713aaa905eb9a14f771652ec97.jpg

114174791f0492aa8480fba775dca20d.jpg

82de10a8de395bbdbb6c07b975f11afc.jpg

a8b3f970a6bcd14b4f8671a587482030.jpg

83ba42d5a5c2b296485066f733b9c6d3.jpg

c08b3676613b563c4149ed3bd1ce5098.jpg

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Mby this will help Bryan out. Attached is some info he sent me.

Attachments

• El Coyote Quilts.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Features.docx.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Sizing chart.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
AK Troutbum
I have reached out to them for some info, but what is the shell material made from and what denier? Hopefully they offer treated down as well.
The pdf's that BBob posted above answers the shell fabric, and I'll just add that it is for sure the softest material I have felt for a quilt. I'm comparing it to the EE quilts that I have. At this point in time I don't think they have any interest in using treated down, which is a bummer as far as I'm concerned. I just got back from a 2 week hunt on Kodiak and used the 20* quilt the entire time. We had night temps from the low to mid teens to the mid 30's. Most of my nights were spent in base camp (traditional tent), and I didn't use a bivy. On several colder nights I did experience a fair amount of condensation that formed on the outside/top of the material, but I had a heat source and was able to dry it out the following day. The one night that I spiked, the temp went down into the low 20's, but I was sleeping in a floorless shelter, using a bivy, and had very good ventilation, so I didn't experience too much in the way of condensation.

CO-AJ

WKR
Cool. Love to support the startup. I just purchased my WM Bag, but I am adding this company to my list of ones to checkout when I am in the market for a quilt. Maybe next summer. Also, I will be curious to see where the accuracy of the temperature ratings is. Hopefully it is comfort and not low end/survival temp ratings.

Just got this in today, and initial impression is, WOW! This will be going to Kodiak in a couple weeks and I have some very high expectations. The craftsmanship on this quilt is truly amazing, and in comparison to the three EE quilts I currently own, it is easily as well built/sewn. I think the baffle construction is going to be a game changer as well. I’ll do a review on it in a few weeks after I have a chance to try it out.
8eca61bc7cbbdaa958c1d4014b5b0d77.jpg

62a502713aaa905eb9a14f771652ec97.jpg

114174791f0492aa8480fba775dca20d.jpg

82de10a8de395bbdbb6c07b975f11afc.jpg

a8b3f970a6bcd14b4f8671a587482030.jpg

83ba42d5a5c2b296485066f733b9c6d3.jpg

c08b3676613b563c4149ed3bd1ce5098.jpg

Have been emailing Brian a bunch today and I think I’m ready to get one ordered. Still trying to decide on a few things though. How was temp rating? Sizing? Pad attachment? I run a ktabatic for warmer season and a Nemo Sonic bag for colder but want to start using a quilt for colder weather.

I was going to get one but I really want treated down. When I message back forth with Brian he said he recommends changing into dry clothes before getting into bag. I only wear the clothes I have on, on my backpack hunts and often get into my sleeping bag at least damp from sweat. This past year I did notice my treated down bag never lost any loft after several nights of getting into it with wet clothes.

OP
AK Troutbum
I used it for 11 nights straight and stayed very warm and comfortable in temperatures down into the mid teens, but I also always wear some other form of insulation when I go to bed. I only spent one night in it on the side of the mountain, again temperatures were down into the teens, and I used it in combination with an ultralight bivy, floorless shelter, and my down pants and jacket. I did get a bit of condensation a few mornings, on the outer shell, but it was usually frozen and it shook off easily. This is the only quilt that I own that doesn’t have treated down, and although I think I would prefer treated, so far in the one trip that I’ve used it, I haven’t really noticed a difference. I will say that, I often crawl into my sleep system pretty wet from a rainy day, and wake up the next morning totally dry and warm. I don’t really know at this point how this quilt would perform under those conditions, so I can’t speak to that yet. I am really liking this quilt thus far, and if it performs well in wetter conditions, I could definitely see it being my go to.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The El Coyote website seems to be very well thought out/designed, informative, and easy to navigate. I've emailed Brian with numerous questions over the past month and he responded quickly and always with polite and definitive answers so customer service seems top notch. If the quality of construction is as good as the customer service (which I anticipate will be from the reviews of those who have purchased) I'll be a very happy quilt user as I finally placed an order for a 40F Alphalite yesterday.