Quilts: Katabatic or El Coyote?

Sloth

FNG
For those of you with experience using Katabatic and El Coyote quilts, which do you prefer and why?

Loper

WKR
I don’t have experience with both, but I do have experience with El Coyote and it has been excellent. I referred a buddy of mine to El Coyote and he should be receiving his tomorrow. Customer service is great too.

Seth

WKR
I looked at both very closely and quit analyzing and bought El Coyote. Both appear to be great and I’m very happy with my purchase.

mlgc20

WKR
Have experience with both. I currently have quilts from Keatabatic, EE, and UGQ. Had an El Coyote and sold it. All four of these brands are great and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from any of them. Quality is pretty much the same across them. Having said that, I think the Katabatic is just a tad better, because of their sleeping pad attachment system. El Coyote, EE, and UGQ all basically use the same system. Katabatic‘s system is a bit different and definitely better IMO.

I have both, I prefer the el coyote solely because it’s a little bigger and I like the option of to open the foot box. The Katabatic is still great though

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Katabatic Flex 15 and an El Coyote 40. Have also had EE and Hammock Gear quilts, but very happy with the two I ended up with. I'd give the slight edge to the Katabatic mostly because of the foot box closure system. Pad attachment system is different between the two, but I'd say preference there would be more of a personal thing. Don't think you'd be disappointed with either unless you're just not a quilt person in general. But if I were to choose one....I'd go Katabatic.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I've had Katabatic and EE, still have Katabatic. Haven't had an El Coyote, but my one gripe is the Katabatic wide isn't quite as wide as I'd like. And I don't think they do custom work.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of you with experience using Katabatic and El Coyote quilts, which do you prefer and why?

Being a big guy I had numerous questions regarding whether or not a quilt would work for me. Brian with El coyote was the only person to return my email questions. I couldn’t be happier with my XX wide long 15° quilt. Can’t wait to purchase my second one from him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I went with EC and am 100% satisfied. Small shop in Arizona, very responsive to email, reasonably priced. I definitely sleep better with the quilt vs a bag.

Hey guys! I have only used a 40-degree quilt for early season and loved it. I use a SG Chilkoot 15 down sleeping bag normally and for colder temps. I am always looking to cut weight and space in my pack. I am really considering an EC 20-degree quilt in lieu of my sleeping bag, however I am nervous about cold draft in colder temps. What is your guy's experience? Can I get a 20-degree quilt for a do all? Say summer through October? I already know I would get a wide and I have a very good R value pad (4.2). Does the pad attachment actually work? I do not want to be getting up all night dealing with cold drafts.

bottom line my current sleeping bag is very warm and 35oz.

I could get a 20 degree El coyote for 24oz. Thats an 11oz weight saving not to mentions space in my pack.

Is that worth it?

Adam

Drenalin

WKR
@Fins_N_Tines I use a 30 degree Katabatic Flex as my do-it-all. I’ve had it as low as 16 and was fine with my puffy on. The pad attachment works, but quilt width versus your own girth plays into that. Even with the wide Katabatic, if I’m tossing and turning, I’m going to open it up to drafts because I’m a relatively big guy. Also, at least for me, an R4.4 pad wasn’t enough for cold temps with the quilt; I had to go to an XTherm to make it work. If you add weight for extra length and width on the quilt, then add weight for a warmer pad, it sounds like you’d be chasing your tail versus what you have now.

@Fins_N_Tines I use a 30 degree Katabatic Flex as my do-it-all. I’ve had it as low as 16 and was fine with my puffy on. The pad attachment works, but quilt width versus your own girth plays into that. Even with the wide Katabatic, if I’m tossing and turning, I’m going to open it up to drafts because I’m a relatively big guy. Also, at least for me, an R4.4 pad wasn’t enough for cold temps with the quilt; I had to go to an XTherm to make it work. If you add weight for extra length and width on the quilt, then add weight for a warmer pad, it sounds like you’d be chasing your tail versus what you have now.
Thank you 🙏 appreciate your detailed response. I love my sleeping bag and I sleep well in it so I’m gonna stick with it.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
I thought it was, and I went with the El Coyote 20 as well. as for colder temps and drafts I think that somewhat depends on you and how you sleep. I sleep hot and the 20 degree El Coyote is an oven, I’ve thought about buying a lighter one for summer because I roast in that thing unless its cold out.

Another vote for el coyote. I have a 10⁰ and have yet to be cold in it. I have taken it down to it's rating. Great quality

schmalzy

WKR
Katabatic flex 15 for me. Very pleased with it and I toss and turn a lot. Ordered the long wide version. Paired with an xtherm.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If made in USA means anything to you just know that Katabatic shells are sewn overseas and filled in the US. Been that way for a while now.

Have experience with both. I currently have quilts from Keatabatic, EE, and UGQ. Had an El Coyote and sold it. All four of these brands are great and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from any of them. Quality is pretty much the same across them. Having said that, I think the Katabatic is just a tad better, because of their sleeping pad attachment system. El Coyote, EE, and UGQ all basically use the same system. Katabatic‘s system is a bit different and definitely better IMO.
Are the prices fairly similar?