ELD-X & ELD-M

WoodBow

WKR
I plugged the factory load data into hornady's calculator.

First off, the factory data shows exactly a 50 fps difference between the 143 and 147. I was surprised it was that much.

However the difference in POI between the 2 at 500 is 1.3". So that's what, .25 moa?

At 1000 yards the difference is 6". So .6 moa?

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to add a little caution, especially with the ELD-X. I have a couple custom rifles in 300PRC’s and have harvested dozens of animals with them. In fact, I almost use them exclusively, except on smaller game (i.e. whitetail). I now have a sample size of 2 of extremely poor performance. The latest one was last week while in AK caribou hunting. We both short caribou with 300PRCS (ELD-X) and mine dropped with a clean pass through, good wound channel performance, at 350 yards. My friend had a completely different result. His shot was around the same (350) and he hit a tad forward punching through the shoulder. I’m not necessarily concerned with the fact the bullet did not pass through and was embedded in the backside hide but I was concerned about the condition itself. While I was cleaning the animal, located the bullet, to my surprise it did not expand at all. In fact, it appeared that it was removed from the casing before firing. This is the 2nd time this happened with this bullet in my presence. After some research it happens a lot. I will not be using these bullets on big hunts where there is too much at stake any longer. Local and less risky hunts - maybe. There is a lot of information floating on the internet about the ELD-X doing the same any several platforms. Lastly, just open a box and measure the overall length of the bullets within one box. I personally think the acceptable tolerance is way outside of my comfort level. Just my opinion, based on my experiences.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just wanted to add a little caution, especially with the ELD-X. I have a couple custom rifles in 300PRC’s and have harvested dozens of animals with them. In fact, I almost use them exclusively, except on smaller game (i.e. whitetail). I now have a sample size of 2 of extremely poor performance. The latest one was last week while in AK caribou hunting. We both short caribou with 300PRCS (ELD-X) and mine dropped with a clean pass through, good wound channel performance, at 350 yards. My friend had a completely different result. His shot was around the same (350) and he hit a tad forward punching through the shoulder. I’m not necessarily concerned with the fact the bullet did not pass through and was embedded in the backside hide but I was concerned about the condition itself. While I was cleaning the animal, located the bullet, to my surprise it did not expand at all. In fact, it appeared that it was removed from the casing before firing. This is the 2nd time this happened with this bullet in my presence. After some research it happens a lot. I will not be using these bullets on big hunts where there is too much at stake any longer. Local and less risky hunts - maybe. There is a lot of information floating on the internet about the ELD-X doing the same any several platforms. Lastly, just open a box and measure the overall length of the bullets within one box. I personally think the acceptable tolerance is way outside of my comfort level. Just my opinion, based on my experiences.
Have a pic?

I agree with the length tolerances on the eldx. The total length and the ogive have big variances. I actually called Hornady about a box of 143 that were all over the place. I got the company line and the guy said there would be no difference in POI well past 1000 yards regardless of issues that the different length bullets caused in searing depths, etc.

I’m running the 180 eldms, they’re VERY consistent and so far they’ve performed well on game. My MV is 2770 though so I don’t have as many potential issues with pancaking as a 28n would.

I want a pic as well, this is very hard to believe.
I've never seen a tipped hornady have expansion issues and I've tested them down to 1300 fps.
The 175 eldx in particular expands much more reliably at 1300 fps than 195/180 Bergers do at 2000 fps

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Have a pic?

I agree with the length tolerances on the eldx. The total length and the ogive have big variances. I actually called Hornady about a box of 143 that were all over the place. I got the company line and the guy said there would be no difference in POI well past 1000 yards regardless of issues that the different length bullets caused in searing depths, etc.

I’m running the 180 eldms, they’re VERY consistent and so far they’ve performed well on game. My MV is 2770 though so I don’t have as many potential issues with pancaking as a 28n would.
9523F7DD-9F07-49F6-9C51-D19F422436AF.jpeg

Yeah that looks like an ABLR, still expanded and killed but not ideal.
My wifey shot a Cow this morning at 200 yards with a 225 eldm mv 2825 from my 30 Nos.
It straight up stoned her like I've never seen before, massive wound channel with pieces penetrating into the offside scapula.
I'm seriously impressed, maybe switch over from the 212s.

Resized_20220822_071431.jpeg
Entry wound just clipping rear shoulder.
20220822_082440.jpg
Exit from ribs into offside shoulder
20220822_085250.jpg9

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
My wifey shot a Cow this morning at 200 yards with a 225 eldm mv 2825 from my 30 Nos.
It straight up stoned her like I've never seen before, massive wound channel with pieces penetrating into the offside scapula.

View attachment 443351
View attachment 443352
View attachment 4433539
Congrats to the wife! I’m of the same mind and might switch over. This wasn’t the first time I have seen poor performance with an ELDX. To be on a sheep hunt or similar hunt, poor bullet performance is a zero tolerance situation, at least for me.

schmalzy

WKR
Congrats to the wife! I’m of the same mind and might switch over. This wasn’t the first time I have seen poor performance with an ELDX. To be on a sheep hunt or similar hunt, poor bullet performance is a zero tolerance situation, at least for me.

I only have a sample size of 1, but I shot a 178 eldx out of a 30-06 on my ram and it performed excellently. Right around 300 yards.

You think it’s a design issue or a QC issue?

Factory precision hunter shoots pretty great out of my 30-06 montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llama32

WKR
What is the real hunting difference between a lighter ELD-X and a slightly heavier ELD-M bullet at say 400 -500 yards on heavier game like elk? Specifically, my 6.5 CM & PRC will both shoot Hornady factory 143 gr ELD-X & 147 gr ELD-M sub-MOA. I like the idea of greater BC despite slightly slower velocity of the heavier ELD-M.
Eldm for me on my 7-08

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I only have a sample size of 1, but I shot a 178 eldx out of a 30-06 on my ram and it performed excellently. Right around 300 yards.

You think it’s a design issue or a QC issue?

Factory precision hunter shoots pretty great out of my 30-06 montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want start by saying, I love Hornady and even on some of my custom rifles the ELDX shoot just as good (or close) as hand loads. The very unfortunate part is that this keeps happening. If I had to guess just on my sample size, I’ve probably harvested 25 animals (or so) with an ELDX and this is the third time. I also think if I was shooting smaller like a 6.5 I wouldn’t of recovered the animals. To answer the question - I really have no idea. I’m going to send this bullet to them and see what they say.

Last edited:
you all know I'm a 6.5 Grendel hoe and they run 123 sst vs 123 eld-m primarily on the Grendel forum and many choose the sst based on similar to eld-x hunting marketing and adding a bit of hunting attributes to the bullet much like the eld-x....there's a common theme from those who tried both on game, they go to eld-m and stay there, many started with sst and didn't like performance, longer runners than expected etc. then went to eld-m and they won't go back, and it seems any who start with the eld-m don't see a need to look for something else, because they work awesome, seen this theme a number of times, so take that for what it's worth..the eld-m is a winner on game, consistent, rarely questioned

I'd be 140's in a cm because they're probably priced best, most available, and likely accurate as all get out too and they have perfect bc/sd for 0-600 yard work on game from the cm...I'd buy the 143's and 147's to see how they all grouped for a prc but it's the 147's I'd hope would group well enough as that would be first pick

Should a 178 gr ELD-X from a .308 have expanded/fragmented on a 500 yd shot on soft tissue only? Hornady says it would have been going about 1846 fps and energy of 1346. Exit wound on axis deer gut shot looked just like the entry wound, a .308 hole.

Last edited:

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 443351
View attachment 443352
View attachment 4433539
NIce shooting...I did a second glance...There's a kid in that lady's shirt LOL!!! Little person out hunting and can't even walk yet... Perfect, Kid can't be over a month old.-WW