Election Day Wyoming Whitetail

BigDog00

WKR
In Wyoming a lot of the general areas will allow whitetail only hunting through the month of November once the mule deer season finishes in October. I've hunted the same area for the last 4 years only having one other opportunity at a whitetail buck. Typically I spend around 3-6 days each season watching a big creek drainage that I know holds deer. Two years ago I hiked in to my glassing point on a cold evening in mid November with a big cold front approaching. I immediately spotted a group of mule deer down on the creek bottom. I pulled out my spotter to see if there we any nice bucks (I usually see some decent mule deer). I spot what looks like a mid sized 2 point and another buck in the thick trees. After about 5 minutes I can tell its a small 4 point whitetail (think basket rack). I then quickly gather my stuff and bail off the bluff I'm sitting on. It only takes me about 5 minutes to get down to where I think I can get a shot at the buck. I see a group of mule deer does off to my right down the creek bed and am scanning franticly for the buck I'm after. I catch some movement to my left behind a big piece of brush...its him! Just as I'm trying to maneuver around the brush he catches movement and is gone. Its no joke that when whitetails spoke they are GONE. Fast forward to this year...I have had the opportunity to hunt a lot this year and have taken advantage of it. However, its been pretty tough to make it happen. I've spent somewhere around 25 days in the woods chasing mule deer, elk, antelope, and whitetails. Typically I like to wait for some weather before I go chase whitetails but its been really warm without any cold weather in sight. I figured what better day then election day. I figured I'd just go out for the afternoon, so I made sure to vote and had lunch. I got a little later start then I had planned. I wanted to be at my glassing point around 230 but didn't make it until almost 4 o'clock. I went to another good glassing point about 3/4 of mile away for my usual spot. Its a little harder to get into and I figured if there was any pressure it may have pushed them here. Just as I get settled in I spot a group of deer...mule deer. Figures! Instantly I see a great buck chasing some does.

I sat there and watch him while scanning up and down the creek bed. I'm not seeing any other deer around this group so I peak over the bluff to my left. More mule deer. Another buck with a couple more does. All in all I see of ton of deer, just not any whitetails. I sit to just about dark before I start my hike back to the truck. Keep in mind that there are deer everywhere. I think I probably saw somewhere around 40-50 deer...all mule deer. I make it to with in about 1/4 mile from my truck when I can see a deer about 300-400 yards away. I pull up my bino's and can tell its a buck and looks like a whitetail judging by his antlers. Its now within about 5-10 minutes of shooting light and I scramble to about 275 yards. I quickly pulled out my spotter to verify species knowing there are a ton of mule deer around. Like I said his antlers looked like a whitetail but it was getting dark. I looked him over and verified he was in fact a whitetail. About a week before I had picked up a shooting rest from sergeant sniper. I learned about it for Rokslide and it turns out its a great addition to my gear list. I attached the rest to one of my tripod legs and got into position. I settled the crosshairs and touched one off. I heard the round hit home but the buck disappeared. I didn't see if her ran or dropped, but it looked like I dropped him. I packed everything up and went over to find him. By now it is pretty well dark out and I'm not 100% sure exactly where he was standing. I start griding back and forth looking for the buck and/or blood, but can't turn anything up. This goes on for about 45 minutes and I'm thinking I may have to come back in the morning when I can actually see. I decide to make one more pass and ended up finding him dead just about 15 yards from where I thought he was. He's my first whitetail and I couldn't be happier.

I took some pictures and started cutting him up. I ended up just quartering him out, it was fairly flat and not too far from my truck, but I wasn't going to drag him. It always amazes me that you can put some much time in scouting and hunting and it can literally happen in the blink of an eye. I now will look forward to next year and seeing if I can turn up the muley I found this year. One thing I didn't really mention was that this area gets hammered each season. I hunted last year on the opener and there were people everywhere. There were literally people walking in every direction up the creek. It boggled my mind. Once the mule deer season closes though I don't think it gets hit hardly at all. I've only ever seen one other person hunting it for whitetails. Next stop Kentucky! My wife is from there and we are traveling back for Thanksgiving. I'm taking my bow and will see if I can add another whitetail or two to my resume.