Elk Age Guess

tmitty

FNG
Thought this might be fun. I just got my age results back from the bull I shot last fall. Anyone care to venture a guess how old this guy was?IMG_7130.jpegIMG_7513.jpeg

What a beauty. Must have been thrilling to see that beast at 40yd in think timber. He looks surprisingly young for how wide his rack is, though. I would say somewhere in the 5-6 year old range, but I could be totally incorrect. What did his teeth look like?

OP
tmitty

tmitty

FNG
Have any good pictures of his teeth?
No pictures on me currently. They are pretty worn down though...
What a beauty. Must have been thrilling to see that beast at 40yd in think timber. He looks surprisingly young for how wide his rack is, though. I would say somewhere in the 5-6 year old range, but I could be totally incorrect. What did his teeth look like?
Man, it was such an incredible experience. My first successful elk hunt, and everything I could have hoped for. I have the write-up on here somewhere if you care to read the story.

Great Bull! Congrats on a successful hunt. Kinda tough to tell without more pictures, but I will guess 6-7.

Curious about the process for getting the age results... What did you send them? Who do you send it to? How long does it take? How much did it cost?

Thanks.

OP
tmitty

tmitty

FNG
Great Bull! Congrats on a successful hunt. Kinda tough to tell without more pictures, but I will guess 6-7.

Curious about the process for getting the age results... What did you send them? Who do you send it to? How long does it take? How much did it cost?

Thanks.
It's free in my state. If you harvest on a LE hunt, you just mail in the teeth. Mailed them in September, got the results this week. The state encourages it as a way for them to manage LE units.

Body size would be a really good clue also to get a good guess on age. Can’t see any of that so hard to say.

I would guess in the 3.5 to 4.5 range based of the limited pics/info. That would leave me to guess you got somewhere in the ball park of 250-275 pounds of boned out meat?

slim9300

WKR
Body size would be a really good clue also to get a good guess on age. Can’t see any of that so hard to say.

I would guess in the 3.5 to 4.5 range based of the limited pics/info. That would leave me to guess you got somewhere in the ball park of 250-275 pounds of boned out meat?

Your elk must be giants. I killed the biggest bodied Rocky of my life last year that was easily 9-10 years old. I took everything and got 259# of boned out meat weighed of course. That put him at around 780# live weight which is giant for a Rocky.

I have never seen a Rocky bigger than that bull and I have killed/packed a very large number.

The Roosevelts I have seen could be closer to 300-350# of boned out meat if they reached true maturity (7+ years old), but that would be a 900-1100 pound animal, which only exists in a couple places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have packed out quite a few of bulls that have over 250 pounds of boned out meat weighed in the game bags after I got home, before I started to butcher them.

The 260inch six point I killed two years ago was definitely not a big mature herd bull. It was right about 250 pounds of boned out meat.

Laramie

WKR
Age is very tough to gauge just based on antlers. I have seen 8 year old bulls that scored less than 250". I have also seen 4 year old bulls that were well over 300". Just like deer, elk genetics play a big role in their size potential. So with all that in mind, that bull should be somewhere between 3.5 and 12 lol.

Ravenk

FNG
Such a shame that the teeth picture is not available, that would have given more insight to how old he is. Well, he looks kinda young but the wide rack is saying otherwise, so I think he would be around 4.5 years old.

Congrats on your successful hunt!!!