Elk basics

I dont wanna post the 1st time elk hunter thread asking about units and areas and such. I have my areas picked out and feel I have a decent plan, ive read multiple books and listened/watched everything I can get my hands/ears on. Mainly posting to see what seasoned elk hunters think of my bare bones principles of elk hunting theres more to hunting elk but if I can keep it simple the better I feel.

Tips/basic info

1. Wind and thermals are king
2. Try to always sidehill to locations or through dark timber (easier than straight up and down and your hopefully on the same level with the elk)
3. Hike until you find physical elk or "stinking green" as one book put it. Smell of rutting bull. Wallows or raking areas
4. Seeps/head waters = possible wallows
5. N/NE slopes (dark timber bedding areas) with benches.the nastier the country the more likely elk will be there when hunting pressure is nearby
6. Always set up in front of cover. Never behind it.
7. Draw your bow when you see antler tips.
8. Use the "doorway principal" an elk will usually come in only as needed to see the callers position( opening in timber, ridge/drop off)
9. When calling or taking afternoon breaks always have an arrow knocked for unexpected elk coming in silent.
10. Give some time after calling for those silent elk.
11. Regarding altitude. Hike high and sleep low, take it easy the first 2 days or as needed. STAY as hydrated as you can, refill water as much as you can.

As for calling there a multiple different strategies. I like chris roe's methods and will try to apply them as I can.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
What is your 'Doorway Principle'? Is it the Cold Calling Sequence? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
It is a Chris Roe thing Paul.......look to set up within range of a natural doorway the elk will approach through to see what was catching its attention......I call it picking shooting lanes. ;)

OP
keithstrausbaugh87
Yes I would refer to it as before cold calling look at your surrounding area and try to pick out where they would see your location/ where you may expect them to come from, granted they can come from anywhere but just have somewhat of a plan beforehand.

ElkNut1

WKR
So you're saying to have a shooting lane/lanes if possible once you've called to attract an elk you know is in the area? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Brendan

WKR
What is your 'Doorway Principle'? Is it the Cold Calling Sequence? Thanks!

It's just an analogy, and I've heard you say the same thing in a different way. If you wanted to see what was going on in a room in your house after you heard a ruckus from the kids, you'd probably walk through the house and stop in the "doorway" expecting to see what was going on in the room from that point.

In the Elk world, that's where you'd expect the Elk you were calling to stop expecting to see another Elk. The goal being to use terrain features, cover, or caller/shooter to make that "doorway" where the Elk stops, be in a spot you can shoot it.... Where if you call out in the open and the Elk stops 100 yards away expecting to see the other Elk calling to it, No Bueno...

Last edited:

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy had no shot on a bull at 15 yards (and another behind at 25) last year because he didn't take the time to consider where an elk might come from and stop to see the cow (me) that was calling to it. I shoulda said something. For me its automatic....I look for good spots to set up and figure out angles and openings and range them out all before I start calling. The elk came in exactly as I expected them to do if there were any coming from that direction. Instead of coaching, I let him do him......exciting encounter but ultimately disappointing.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking good a couple of additions would draw bow contingent on topography where his head or eyes are looking and when do you sense he will be in your shoot zone along with how he is moving.....clear debris around your feet so if you have to move you can be silent and when possible move in after calling so he doesn’t pinpoint your exact location a lot of variables like a chess game that will become more automatic after a hundred encounters🤔good luck and have fun👍

OP
keithstrausbaugh87
Thanks, You guys explained it better than I did. Ive heard about clearing the area around your feet, thanks for throwing that in there

when I first started I didn't realize how aggressive you need to be about moving to get into a position to call. once you've located a bull that bugled back it's time to boogy and cut some distance. I was too concerned about making too much noise. noise isn't a big issue when moving in on elk that are up walking themselves.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, I'd heard the phrase before but assumed it was a calling tactic. It's good advice, Poor Setups is the 2nd most reason hunters lose out on close encounters! I believe it's the hardest to learn as well for new & old.

Here's few personal thoughts on your points of interest!

Hunters over-think the wind because of so much emphasis on it! As I cover ground in search of elk through bugling during archery season I don't put much stock into its direction until elk are located. I hunt/call low, high & inbetween morning, midday or evening, Find elk first then monitor the wind on your strategic approach. It's worked well for many. many years!
2. Try to always sidehill to locations or through dark timber (easier than straight up and down and your hopefully on the same level with the elk)
Both sidehill & or switchback your way up. Notice how trails are coursed out in steep country, lots of switchbacks. Invariably I end up heading straight up! (grin)
3. Hike until you find physical elk or "stinking green" as one book put it. Smell of rutting bull. Wallows or raking areas
OK, here's where I differ. Unless glassing open country to locate elk I will call my way through the timber, I want to locate elk before they locate me as well as sending out Locator Bugles that elk can respond too way above or below me. I will end up running into wallows here & there as well as rub areas, this does not mean elk are there but it does mean they Were there! For me calling has produced their whereabouts quicker than anything on OTC hunts. Just like Glassing to locate I bugle to locate & then I close the distance to hunt them meaning I will call them in!
Benches & meadowy parks have produced the best wallows I've ever seen. These parks can be very small or large, I don't overlook anything in new country that may have a hidden wallow. I love the benches best as they are the hardest to find & rarely other hunters know about it! I've found wallows in some of the thickest downfall, you wonder how a bull can get through it but they do!
5. N/NE slopes (dark timber bedding areas) with benches.the nastier the country the more likely elk will be there when hunting pressure is nearby
Again, Calling/Bugling in these areas can produce a return bugle. Do not overlook any side of the mountain. Elk will frequent South, North, East & West faces as well. Thick cover with cool surroundings can be found about anywhere! Some of my best elk areas are west faces. Bedding areas are the best places to locate & call elk in through calling & raking. I do not Still Hunt the timber for them. Once I know they are there through sight or I heard them call, I will get to 200 yards or a bit less & setup to pull them my way! Anytime I can get the elk to do the moving & not me then I have the advantage!
I prefer being Next to cover than in front of it, I feel more concealed & it gives me the most confidence! Another important thought in choosing your setup is don't get yourself pinned in where you cannot move in any direction if the need arises. Elk can approach from a direction you hadn't planned on so a quick move to get position on his arrival without him seeing you can be a huge factor to your success. Range different objects if possible before he arrives but don't range if you have even the smallest chance he may catch your movement or it's game over!
Good advice! Too, you may hear his approach & know he's close from sticks breaking or his antlers clicking on tree branches but cannot yet see anything, draw at that time, seeing his antlers may be too late in thick dark timber. Basically be prepared for whatever may come your way. You want to be able to hold at full draw for 60 seconds & still shoot accurately so practice that now!
8. Use the "doorway principal" an elk will usually come in only as needed to see the callers position( opening in timber, ridge/drop off)
Yes sir! As a Solo Hunter or Tag Team the shooter needs to be setup in tight enough cover that the approaching bull MUST come into bowrange before he can see where the source of the calling is coming from! This will keep him in search mode & come in close eough for a great shot! If Solo, you may need to move forward 10-25 yards from your last calling position, be prepared mentally to do so. When Solo you may have to play both roles, Caller, Shooter!
9. When calling or taking afternoon breaks always have an arrow knocked for unexpected elk coming in silent.
Ha Ha, we've all fell victim to this & probably will again! (grin)
I'd only do this if I were Cold Calling & was fishing for elk that were silent & possibly within earshot. In Run & Gun mode (Bugling & moving to locate) I don't concern myself with waiting 10-15 minutes each time I bugle as it would be a waste of time. I need to cover ground to find the vocal elk!
11. Regarding altitude. Hike high and sleep low, take it easy the first 2 days or as needed. STAY as hydrated as you can, refill water as much as you can.
Agreed!

To up your odds of success learn the Slow Play Breeding Sequence, it can apply to nearly any calling encounter! Looks like you have a good handle on things, good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Keith, you're off to a great start. When setting up for calling the doorway principle (Chris Roe) is solid. You've done your homework. I would like to point out that looking for elk on the N/NE slopes may work out or it may not. Many many many times I've seen elk (and killed some) in places that they weren't supposed to be. Covering miles either by hiking or glassing (if the country is open) is the best way to find them. If that little hidey hole looks good to you on Google Earth it looks good to other hunters also. Keep an open mind when searching for elk and you'll do well.

Brendan

WKR
Hey @ElkNut1 - Do you have any good recent podcasts, resources, discussions, etc. on early season hunting? I know you have, just can't remember where...

Changing it up this year and am hunting Wyoming 9/1 - 9/13 instead of a couple weeks later, need to refresh my memory...

OP
keithstrausbaugh87
Thanks for all the input guys still reading/ listening, and watching everything i can and feel pretty good about this season 72 days to go for me. Thanks again

cnelk

WKR
Sometimes I stand when calling, sometimes I kneel.

When kneeling, the first thing I see when an elk is approaching is leg movement.
Also when kneeling, you can shoot under branches a bit further than when standing [1st hand experience here]
If kneeling, remove your quiver. If you happen to set your bow on the ground, dirt can get inside your nocks if your arrows are longer than your cam [Learned the hard way here]

Before calling, raise your bow in a couple different directions to see that any overhead branches will not get in the way of your bow when you shoot [Learned the hard way here]

Elk dont always come in downwind. Sometimes they dont even care about the wind.

ElkNut1

WKR
Brendan, I just finished a Podcast last night with Dan Stanton of Elk Shape. In this one we cover a lot of stuff & even some early season. Key to this podcast is the Slow Play is covered in its entirety with all the sound effects that lead up to the bulls demise. This is a great early season tactic to be at the top of your list when it comes to calling in bulls, yes the silent ones too. I think you'll really enjoy it. I'll get a link to it & put it here on the Forum for you & others who may want to check it out as soon as he's done editing it. It's a good one!

Also I do talk about early season at one of the gotgametechpodcast.com -- Check out it at the link. Also have early season elk & solo elk hunting coming out on the App as a New Update, I've been told with fingers crossed it could be available by Friday. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Kauffy

FNG
What is the best tactic for open country/high desert once bedded elk have been located.

Try to draw the bull out or wait for them to feed out?

rickerb24

FNG
Yes, I'd heard the phrase before but assumed it was a calling tactic. It's good advice, Poor Setups is the 2nd most reason hunters lose out on close encounters! I believe it's the hardest to learn as well for new & old.

Here's few personal thoughts on your points of interest!

Hunters over-think the wind because of so much emphasis on it! As I cover ground in search of elk through bugling during archery season I don't put much stock into its direction until elk are located. I hunt/call low, high & inbetween morning, midday or evening, Find elk first then monitor the wind on your strategic approach. It's worked well for many. many years!
Both sidehill & or switchback your way up. Notice how trails are coursed out in steep country, lots of switchbacks. Invariably I end up heading straight up! (grin)
OK, here's where I differ. Unless glassing open country to locate elk I will call my way through the timber, I want to locate elk before they locate me as well as sending out Locator Bugles that elk can respond too way above or below me. I will end up running into wallows here & there as well as rub areas, this does not mean elk are there but it does mean they Were there! For me calling has produced their whereabouts quicker than anything on OTC hunts. Just like Glassing to locate I bugle to locate & then I close the distance to hunt them meaning I will call them in!
Benches & meadowy parks have produced the best wallows I've ever seen. These parks can be very small or large, I don't overlook anything in new country that may have a hidden wallow. I love the benches best as they are the hardest to find & rarely other hunters know about it! I've found wallows in some of the thickest downfall, you wonder how a bull can get through it but they do!
Again, Calling/Bugling in these areas can produce a return bugle. Do not overlook any side of the mountain. Elk will frequent South, North, East & West faces as well. Thick cover with cool surroundings can be found about anywhere! Some of my best elk areas are west faces. Bedding areas are the best places to locate & call elk in through calling & raking. I do not Still Hunt the timber for them. Once I know they are there through sight or I heard them call, I will get to 200 yards or a bit less & setup to pull them my way! Anytime I can get the elk to do the moving & not me then I have the advantage!
I prefer being Next to cover than in front of it, I feel more concealed & it gives me the most confidence! Another important thought in choosing your setup is don't get yourself pinned in where you cannot move in any direction if the need arises. Elk can approach from a direction you hadn't planned on so a quick move to get position on his arrival without him seeing you can be a huge factor to your success. Range different objects if possible before he arrives but don't range if you have even the smallest chance he may catch your movement or it's game over!
Good advice! Too, you may hear his approach & know he's close from sticks breaking or his antlers clicking on tree branches but cannot yet see anything, draw at that time, seeing his antlers may be too late in thick dark timber. Basically be prepared for whatever may come your way. You want to be able to hold at full draw for 60 seconds & still shoot accurately so practice that now!
Yes sir! As a Solo Hunter or Tag Team the shooter needs to be setup in tight enough cover that the approaching bull MUST come into bowrange before he can see where the source of the calling is coming from! This will keep him in search mode & come in close eough for a great shot! If Solo, you may need to move forward 10-25 yards from your last calling position, be prepared mentally to do so. When Solo you may have to play both roles, Caller, Shooter!
Ha Ha, we've all fell victim to this & probably will again! (grin)
I'd only do this if I were Cold Calling & was fishing for elk that were silent & possibly within earshot. In Run & Gun mode (Bugling & moving to locate) I don't concern myself with waiting 10-15 minutes each time I bugle as it would be a waste of time. I need to cover ground to find the vocal elk!
Agreed!

To up your odds of success learn the Slow Play Breeding Sequence, it can apply to nearly any calling encounter! Looks like you have a good handle on things, good luck!

ElkNut/Paul
Well said

chops24

WKR
Curious to see how the hunt went OP.

one thing i dont see here that i make a habit of doing and goes in line with having an arrow nocked is to pre-range objects around you. there have been times when i was just sitting down having a snack or a quick glassing session where i have had elk walk by and having an arrow nocked and bushes pre ranged would have helped. things happen quick.

i would hope that would be automatic for cold calling sequences. Set up in/by cover, nock an arrow, draw and swing your bow to potential angles a shot would happen for deconfliction with branches, pre range. take a minute to just sit and listen, cold call.