Elk Calls

I saw a convo was started in the Elk forum but thought I would ask my question here. I am new to elk hunting, do any of you have recommendations on elk calls for a beginner? obviously practice comes with it, but a jumping off point would be a nice start!

I will be heading west in September. Will a bugle or cow call even be helpful?

Thanks!

Mosby

WKR
If you are hunting in September then both could be useful. I would buy either Phelps or Rocky Mountain calls and practice daily.

OP
switchback7
If you are hunting in September then both could be useful. I would buy either Phelps or Rocky Mountain calls and practice daily.

I've been looking at Phelps diaphragm calls. Any recommendations on one?

Get the primos or Carlton starter pack. Pick a tube and practice. Then you will have to try a few different reeds to find what you like. There a bunch of good reeds but they all don’t fit everyone the same.

CJF

WKR
If you are new to elk hunting I would strongly advise doing two things as a course of action that are more important than deciding what type or brand of calls to buy:
1. Sign up for University of Elk Hunting on Elk101.com and watch all the videos and absorb as much as possible.
2. Get the ElkNut app and listen to all the content that Paul has put on it.

For around $100 you'll have access to all the info you will probably ever need while elk hunting.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a handful of Phelps reeds ,and a bugle tube of your choice, figure out which reed fits you best and you can make elk sounds easiest with, definitely take as much in from Corey Jacobson elk 101, watch the bugler dirk Durham on YouTube , and take as much in from Paul Medel the Elk Nut on his app and listen to his series On the “ Got Game Tech “ podcast and get out there is Sept. Amazing how much a guy can learn on your first trip in the field , good luck !!!

Yep...Phelps AMP and listen to Elk nut. I hunted turkeys for a lot of years with a mouth call and it's not a hard transition to call Elk. If your not used to using a mouth calls it will take a lot of practice.

i ordered my phelps calls from the born and raised outdoors guys. Had trouble getting sounds out of rocky mountain calls in the past (i'm a rookie). Had no issues with the phelps calls. i got all 3 they offer.

ridgefire

WKR
I like the white and grey amp diaphrams from Phelps and the yellow and brown diaphrams from Rocky Mountain. The Bully Bull grunt tube from Rocky Mountain is what I use for a bugle tube. I would also recommend getting a Whosyrrdaddy from Rocky Mountain or a Hyperlip single from Primos. People may laugh at this but the Hoochie Momma works great and is about the easiest call you can buy.

The phelps orange amp, bugel tube and pretty much any outside estrus call is a good set up. Also do the online content that phelps puts out. I run the grey, orange and pink amps.