Elk decoy

bisblue

WKR
How long do you think I would live in an Idaho otc unit with one of these on my bow?
Screenshot_20220510-204822_Chrome.jpg

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, we have to share part of archery season with muzzle loaders in Colorado, I use the crap out of decoys, but I make sure I'm not sitting in line with where a shot could come from

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Yeah, we have to share part of archery season with muzzle loaders in Colorado, I use the crap out of decoys, but I make sure I'm not sitting in line with where a shot could come from
Yeah I just imagine getting smoked by an arrow at 90 yards by a group of Midwestern non resident bow hunters breathing hard, flat brims, big bugle tubes, all jacked up on some pre workout supplement marketed to hunters....

You like to set up a standing decoy and call? I've got a spot I can elk hunt after work, but it's thick and steep...

rclouse79

WKR
I tried that exact decoy last season. Much to my wife’s dismay I cut the blaze orange ribbon off.
The last weekend of September I ended up close to the last bugle I heard so I put the decoy on my bow and set up in front of a live pine with an area of burn ahead of me. Within moments of cow calling I had a bull coming in on a rope. He hung up behind a burned tree at 50 yards for what seemed like forever. He finally started towards me, but didn’t make it far before bolting. I was hoping the decoy was going to be the magic bullet, but that is archery elk hunting. I think one of the biggest advantages would be masking your draw.
I probably would leave it at home if there was a muzzleloader season going at the same time.

Wrench

WKR
I've had a few successful encounters where the decoy/s bought time....but never on a mature bull. I don't even pack them any longer.

Wind, background and motion...obviously finding elk, that's where the money is.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah I just imagine getting smoked by an arrow at 90 yards by a group of Midwestern non resident bow hunters breathing hard, flat brims, big bugle tubes, all jacked up on some pre workout supplement marketed to hunters....

You like to set up a standing decoy and call? I've got a spot I can elk hunt after work, but it's thick and steep...
I do, especially hunting alone, but I mainly count on them too distract an animal when they get in close more than to actually pull them in, I honestly have never actually had them work by themselves to attract animals and it's probably a 50/50 split on them spooking or not if they don't see the flat ones from the right angle. I do usually try to set up a couple at different angles and they work best if they can't see them til the last second, I think the profile ones work better too

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
My after work spot is jungle style thick and steep with game trails and wallows. I usually hunt alone whether after work or packing in.
I haven't done much calling. In Nevada I would draw cow archery tags and would usually just spot and stalk them. 🤷. Here in Idaho I get a tag every year but there is way more pressure.

svivian

WKR
I saw this for the first time this year at the western hunt expo. First thing out of my mouth to my buddy was someone is going to get killed in Colorado with one of these..... the guy running the booth was not impressed by my comment.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
I have pack llamas that are brown and white. They rock orange neck gaiters with reflective strips sewn on. We also use the brightest panniers we can find.

I've heard folks whispering at dark at the trailhead before "what is that", and shouted out, "don't shoot my llamas!"