Elk experiences with 6.5 PRC and 156 EOL

lintond

WKR
147 ELD-Ms would be my first choice. But a 156 is deadly on elk, too.

Ryan can you elaborate why the 147 over 156? I have both and am building a 6.5 PRC right now.

Less recoil? Ballistics? Bullet performance? I’ll probably run both thru my gun to see what velocities I can get to compare down range ballistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
6.5 prc- 156berger @3030 mv confirmed to 1560yds.

This combo has ended 4 elk this year (shooters other than myself) & 6 elk in total -all with one shot no exits. Additionally it has taken two deer, one antelope,& a pile of coyotes.

Furthest shot on elk had an impact velocity of 1930fps. went through the onside shoulder blade, recovered lead and copper from offside armpit. Elk reared up and over dead.

The slowest elk death was One shot, steep angle and hit high offside lung, elk went 100 or so yards. Off side lung liver destroyed. Impact velocity of 2770fps

To address the other stuff, how this bullet launched around 3000fps could be seen as marginal is baffling to me.
Thats impressive velocity!!! Care to share what powder and barrel length?

Sako76

WKR
In 2019 I killed two bull elk with a 6.5 GAP 4S, one in Wyoming and one in Colorado, both rag horn 5x5’s. In Wyoming a hunter from Indiana (used an outfitter) shot a decent 6x5 bull out of a herd of 11 bulls. As the bulls came by me I initially declined a shot as I thought the bulls were small (it was opening day), then I thought passing on 10 bulls wasn’t kosher so I shot the biggest bull at 250 yards, high shoulder, dead right there and the distance was 250 yards, the 156 Berger at 2850 fps did not exit.

I Colorado, the guide and I were on a point glassing when two bulls broke out of oak brush and started running at and below me. I tried to get into position to shoot and both bulls ran by a small opening and did not present a shot. A third bull broke out and starting running at us and above us, initially I thought it was a cow and the guide said “no, that’s a bull, kill it”! He was hauling a$$ at about 150 yards when I fired hitting him in the brisket dropping him dramatically! The bullet didn’t exit. The rifle was an Elite Accuracy (Jim See) built titanium mountain rifle bought from Len Backus on LongRange Hunting, it’s a hammer.

It worked well! I haven’t used it since preferring my Gunwerks RevX in 7mm RM or my Alamo Prevision Maverick in 300 Weatherby. I need to kill a mule deer with the mountain rifle.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the choice I'd consider a 300 WSM or 7 PRC. My son has a 6.5 PRC and it is borderline for elk. A lot of guys swear by the accuracy but I am skeptical...especially at long range with wind and other factors.

You don't know how many guys on the internet have asked this same question. Why use a caliber that you question having 100% faith in? Is it worth wounding a bull elk of a lifetime? Take a look at the ballistics at longer range with the same bullets in other calibers. If you plan on doing much elk hunting in your lifetime you may want to choose something else? If it's just one elk hunt and you only take short shots with the perfect shot than go for it!
Have you seen the BC on the 6.5 bullets? If there is a caliber for wind, 6.5 is a top contender. Of course you can match it with some very heavy weight 284 and 308, but you better like recoil.

Last edited:
If you have the choice I'd consider a 300 WSM or 7 PRC. My son has a 6.5 PRC and it is borderline for elk. A lot of guys swear by the accuracy but I am skeptical...especially at long range with wind and other factors.

You don't know how many guys on the internet have asked this same question. Why use a caliber that you question having 100% faith in? Is it worth wounding a bull elk of a lifetime? Take a look at the ballistics at longer range with the same bullets in other calibers. If you plan on doing much elk hunting in your lifetime you may want to choose something else? If it's just one elk hunt and you only take short shots with the perfect shot than go for it!
If someone is recoil sensitive, wouldn’t it be more ethical to shoot a gun they can make a good shot with rather than a heavy caliber that they are scared of and makes them flinch?

I’m an oddball. I love recoil. I think that mule kick is great. But I can see why it would be awful for some folks. I certainly wouldn’t put my grandson or daughter behind my gun and expect them to enjoy the experience.

Know the limits of the weapon and practice. That prc will do fine if you do.

Put my elk down 2 years ago with my 6.5 prc and a 147 eldx at 250 yards with devastating results. The bullet almost did too much damage to the meat.

repins05

WKR
I shot an elk with my 6.5 prc and 156 eol two years ago. It’s a very accurate combo for my rifle. The bullet did not exit. Killed several black tail with it as well. My opinion, based on the ballistics, is that I will limit my shot to 500-600 yards (based on wind etc). I purchased the prc mostly for antelope and black tail.

I also have sighted my rifle in with 143 eldx and just change the dope on my scope at 100. My rifle groups better at shorter range with the 143’s (100-200 yards). However at longer distance the 156 groups tighten up and “out perform” the 143’s. I have shot both out to 1400 yards at rock chucks.

side note - my go to rifle for elk is a 300rum with 245 eol. I fall in the category that bigger is better for elk. The 6.5 prc with the eol is a killer and will take an elk down easily with correct shot placement.

…..I shot a black tail with my rum this year at 500 yards. vice versa, and I will not be shooting Blacktail with it in the future. 245 was way too much.

TheViking

WKR
I killed a small Mule deer buck and a cow elk with my Tikka 6.5 PRC and 156 EOL this year.

Deer was a frontal shot, blew the top of the heart off and got an exit on it’s under side. The deer death sprinted 20 yards. 100 yard shot.

Cow elk was slightly quartering to, tried aiming a little back so I didn’t hit the shoulder, but I still did. She ran 10 yards, did a 180 and died right there. Shoulder bone was blown apart, as was both lungs. Insane damage. 150-175 yard shot. No exit, but I also hit the largest bone in the shoulder.

I will keep using the combo moving forward.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider

The numbers on the 156 Berger are insanely good out at stupid distances. More than plenty adequate for an elk out to any shooters max range on game. If it’s for a kid then im
Going to assume they aren’t going to be shooting much past 800 and I think that’s being very generous.

TheViking

WKR
The numbers on the 156 Berger are insanely good out at stupid distances. More than plenty adequate for an elk out to any shooters max range on game. If it’s for a kid then im
Going to assume they aren’t going to be shooting much past 800 and I think that’s being very generous.

People can’t do math.

I spent a TON of time calculating drops and energy for dozens of cartridges before choosing my PRC.

It outshines many bigger, ‘better’ cartridges.

Will be glad to show some numbers for doubters. And also, even if the numbers close and slightly favor to a larger cartridge, the elk sure as hell won’t know the difference between 100-200 ft/lbs

Last edited:

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
People can’t do math.

I spent a TON of time calculating drops and energy for dozens of cartridges before choosing my PRC.

It outshines many bigger, ‘better’ cartridges.

Will be glad to show some numbers for doubters. And also, even if the numbers close and slightly favor to a larger cartridge, the elk sure as hell won’t know the difference between 100-200 ft/lbs
My brother did the same thing and landed on the 6.5 prc. It makes a .300 wsm look terrible on paper lol. It was shocking

6.5x284

WKR
My last 3 bulls and a pile of deer were a 156 from a 6.5 SAUM in a 22” barrel (very close to a PRC). All died in view. Shots were 351, 389, and 554 yards.

4701cccc9b760cadd5084d16c86f242b.jpg

bac17d0c3f66e75143022bfd3b1794d8.jpg

26952be9ba56b55aa910c973d1cb3a9d.jpg

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
My last 3 bulls and a pile of deer were a 156 from a 6.5 SAUM in a 22” barrel (very close to a PRC). All died in view. Shots were 351, 389, and 554 yards.

4701cccc9b760cadd5084d16c86f242b.jpg

bac17d0c3f66e75143022bfd3b1794d8.jpg

26952be9ba56b55aa910c973d1cb3a9d.jpg

I'm building a 6.5 saum and planning to start with the 156 for this year. Great results.

EmperorMA

WKR
View attachment 653977

A single 140 gr AccuBond out of a (gasp!) 7mm-08. 225 yards.

Wasn‘t marginal to him.

View attachment 653979

Two 150 gr ELD-X at 409 yards. Only needed one, but he was still standing, so…7mm-08 again.

Wasn’t marginal to him, either.

Maybe just better shooting.

P
I've taken two bulls very nicely with ..... you'll never believe it ... a 120gr TTSX from the 7-08!!!!!

Elkbelter

Lil-Rokslider
I have great results with the 147 ELD-M in my 6.5 PRC-deer to elk @ long range. Boom/flop like the VLD.