Elk heart how to?

Jakeweb09

WKR
How do you guys do your hearts up? Also curious how many of you leave the hearts with the gut pile

ShakeDown

WKR
Sliced, seasoned, lightly floured, pan seared with onion, served with tortilla.

Sliced, salt, pepper, fried in butter.

Never leave the heart, first night after a kill is always tenderloins and heart.

Pro953

WKR
I enjoyed it cleaned into nice little steaks. Grilled super hot to not over cook. We then sliced and topped with chimichurri and some greens. Damn good. Just don’t cover cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trr15

WKR
Growing up, my grandmother always use to pan fry whitetail hearts. Sliced thin, seasoned heavily with salt and pepper, fried in butter or bacon grease with onion. I do elk hearts the same way.

Jameson

FNG
I’ve always sliced thin and pan fry in butter and seasoned with some salt and pepper. I even made fajitas once with an elk heart. Good table fare!

Stalker69

WKR
My dad always saved the liver, heart, brains,tongue. I ate it but didn’t care for it much. Now they advise not to eat organs due to CWD. Sence my dad pasted, I leave it all in the field. The meat is far better, and if you have the organs, you should have meat , right ? Not sure why you would eat those when you have a great meal in front of you. Just my opionion

I love heart. Elk moose bear deer caribou all of them. Boil with pepper corns onion garlic and salt. About an hour. Drain. Cool. Slice thin. It’s great.

xcutter

WKR
Only done this with deer heart. Trim the white stuff off the heart. Cut into 1/2" thick steaks. Put in a ziploc bag and tenderize with a mallet. I put Lawry's seasoning salt, black pepper and garlic powder on it. Fry in bacon grease until desired inside temp. Tastes fantastic. My wife ate half the heart thinking it was tenderloin. Wouldn't eat another bite once I told her it was heart. LOL. Just a mental thing.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My dad always saved the liver, heart, brains,tongue. I ate it but didn’t care for it much. Now they advise not to eat organs due to CWD. Sence my dad pasted, I leave it all in the field. The meat is far better, and if you have the organs, you should have meat , right ? Not sure why you would eat those when you have a great meal in front of you. Just my opionion

Pretty sure heart is considered muscle vs organ just as a point of conversation.

I take hearts but leave the rest. The heart is good lean meat. That said I'm not a fan of the texture unless its well trimmed so typically I just add it to the grind meat. Occasionally when we've been in a situation to cook up some meat in camp (rarely as we're hunting/hauling/etc typically) we've taken the time to trim it well and cook up with some carmalized onions and loin meat.

Last edited:
High heat. Garlic and onions. Fresh is best but I froze half the heart this year and ate up just fine in tacos a few months later.

CWD lives in the central nervous system, don't eat brain or spinal cord and you should be fine. Heart is a great meal, among my favorites in fact. Tongue is pretty good too, much like roast beef. Both are basically just a piece of meat. I don't care to eat liver but I've never heard it linked to any dietary malfunction (aside from high vitamin A in some animals).

jspradley

WKR
Leaving hearts in the gut pile should be punishable by public flogging!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've never had elk heart but all other heart I've had has been delicious.

Cut it open to clean out any blood clots and those little stringy pieces and cook it hot and fast, hard to beat it!