Elk hunting hypothetical

rclouse79

WKR
It seems to be the general consensus that leaving your bow in a hot car is bad. Say you are elk hunting solo and are fortunate enough to put one down when it is 90 plus degrees. Do you:
A) Take your bow out on the first load and put it in the car with the windows cracked.
B) Take your bow out with the first load and stash it in its case in a shady spot close to your rig.
C) Hang it on a tree by the kill sight and pack it out on your last load.
D) Other.

After I came out with first load.
I would go back to base camp and eat a bacon cheese burger and drink up.

Id put the bow under my sleeping bag to insulate it.
If not base camp if thro if under sleeping bag etc to insulate it from sun and crack the windows.

jimh406

WKR
D

From all I’ve heard, cars get hotter than the surrounding air. But practically speaking, you’ll have to carry the bow out sometime, so whatever works out the best for weight makes the most sense.

Deadfall

WKR
D.

If its that hot. Get the freaking hide off first! Second pack meat to nearest water and submerge it for 12 to 15 hours. Has to be flowing water if only a tiny spring. While that's going on pack the gear out. Then pack meat at night.

Deadfall

WKR
If you have a bow that a little heat or sun will wreck in a day of meat packing...I would get rid of that bow. or stay home..Probably get rid of the bow..lol...

If you have a bow that a little heat or sun will wreck in a day of meat packing...I would get rid of that bow. or stay home..Probably get rid of the bow..lol...

Not a fiber out there for strings that won't creep in heat.

I'd probably leave it close to the kill, take it on last trip.

Real headache will be getting the meat cooled off, and keeping it cool while you pack everything. If your bow is going to get hot, how many full of ice coolers do you have at the ready?

Deadfall

WKR
Not a fiber out there for strings that won't creep in heat.

I'd probably leave it close to the kill, take it on last trip.

Real headache will be getting the meat cooled off, and keeping it cool while you pack everything. If your bow is going to get hot, how many full of ice coolers do you have at the ready?
Exactly...point is don't matter what you do with bow or gear. Meat is what matters

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I think I would have chosen to leave the bow near the kill with out thinking, but that was before I knew about the high likelihood of a well known Rokslider glassing me from afar so they could swoop in after dark to steal my stuff.
I carry four 3 mil heavy duty contractor bags. I think my first order of business would be to shuttle the meat to the nearest creek to submerge it and put up some shade. I would probably leave my bow with the meat and take it back on the last trip. It just feels weird to leave something so expensive behind.
I have two extra large coolers. I keep miscellaneous gear in one and load the other to the gills with frozen gallon jugs. I have had them be mostly ice days later in hot weather. From there I would split the ice and meat up between the two coolers.
This is all hypothetical, as archery elk is my nemesis. I have shot a number of antelope and deer with my bow in the last seven years but those dang elk always manage to elude me. I should have put a few on the ground if I didn’t always invent new ways to screw it up.

Last edited:

Cfriend

FNG
If you have to leave the bow in the car, park in the shade, put sun shades in the windows and crack the windows open. The car should stay relatively close to ambient that way.

On my way out to Colorado archery this year I stopped at a library in Kansas to work (I can work remote anywhere I have internet). 90 degrees and no shade. I had all the windows covered and the windows cracked and could barely tell a difference between temps outside and inside the car. Bow is still shooting great.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I had an early Gen Bowtech Carbon riser warp after I left it in a hot truck one day…shot 2 feet left at 40 yards when I checked it later..never the same..had to sell it for parts on eBay for next to nothing. The newer Carbon bows have more reinforced rigidity, but I would still be very careful just from a riser standpoint with them…have shot aluminum bows since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Never knew this. Left my bow in the truck literally all summer with zero issues. A day won’t hurt anything.
Maybe I am overly cautious because my hunting buddy left his bow in the back of his car in college and the limbs delaminated and it blew up. I suppose manufacturing is higher quality for new bows. It should be for what they cost.

DanimalW

WKR
The closed cell foam in most bow cases must have some decent r value. Throw an ice pack in there, leave it in your car, and see how it takes to get hot. Or you can ditch the bow under a tree near your truck and toss some leaves, grass or branches over it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have left my bow at the kill site when hauling out the head with cape and rack attached on my shoulders first load. I want/need both hands on it for that. But that wasn't about the heat. Like said above, just put your bow in the truck and park in the shade.

BDRam16

WKR
Maybe I am overly cautious because my hunting buddy left his bow in the back of his car in college and the limbs delaminated and it blew up. I suppose manufacturing is higher quality for new bows. It should be for what they cost.
Ya I mean now that I know that I won’t do it anymore, but I’ve never had an issue. I have it strapped to the back of my seat instead of in a case because I shoot it pretty much every day and I’ve never noticed limb or string issues. I keep up with waxing my string but had I not read this thread I would have never assumed there could be an issue.