HYPOTHETICAL - $5,000 replacement budget for hunting rifle(s).

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
A hypothetical - Tragedy strikes and your house burns down or is broken into and all of your centerfire hunting rifles are burned/stolen. Miraculously, all of your shotguns, pistols and rimfires are untouched. A few months later, your insurance company cuts a check for your loss. Your spouse/girlfriend offers to pick up and cash the insurance check but stops at Costco and Target on the way home. She returns with only $5,000 to replace your hunting rifle(s) including optics, suppressors, bipods, etc.

$5,000 is your budget for this scenario and it was picked for a reason. Knowing what you know now, do you buy one nicer hunting rig or try and stretch the money for two rifles? Is it more of an advantage to have one nice rifle/scope or to have two budget friendly rifles to cover your hunting needs? What are you buying and why?

kkp005

WKR
THIS is funny. Sort of curious which fetches more.

I vote one souped up gun, 2 barrels.
The feet are kind of a niche market but weirdos are willing to pay top $ from what I hear. My bride also has a pretty nice set of aftermarket bolt ons so I’d imagine they’d fetch a premium as well. Could probably end up with 3 fully set up rifles out of the deal 😂

robtattoo

WKR
The feet are kind of a niche market but weirdos are willing to pay top $ from what I hear. My bride also has a pretty nice set of aftermarket bolt ons so I’d imagine they’d fetch a premium as well. Could probably end up with 3 fully set up rifles out of the deal 😂

*Don't ask, don't ask Don't ask Don't ask Don't ask Don't ask.........

TN2shot07

WKR
Ask tomorrow and I may lean a different direction but I’d be content with either tracking down a Melvin built NULA in 7mm-08 or a Strata built in 280 ackley. Top either one with a Swaro Z5 3-18 with the ballistic turret and I’ll happily hunt until I can’t. Short of a trip to chase grizzly I don’t know else I wouldn’t be comfortable doing

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
That's a pretty modest budget. One rifle for sure.

I'd probably go with a Weatherby Mk V Accumark in 300 Win Mag with a SilencerCo Scythe TI and a Night force NXS or NX8. Probably Badger rings. Because I am tall, I'd order a custom stock from Bell and Carlson. I have them on two of my rifles that are basicaly the factory fiberglass stock with a longer LOP and custom paint job. Cost is about $300 and two week delivery.

I like the Wby cartridges and have this rifle in 300 Wby and another in 7mm Wby, but if it were my only rig, I'd want to be able to buy ammo off the shelf at the LGS.

$2500 will buy a well setup bolt gun if it's not suppressed.

1 in a 6.5cm
1 in a .30-06

Both would have a niche, both would fill each other's shoes if needed.

I personally like Rem 700 actions.

Quality over quantity. I’d spend it on one setup. 2k on the rifle/rings/bases and 3k on the optic itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically.

Tikka T3X Lite Stainless 7RM/300WM $979
Rokstok $595 one color cerakote
ACE barrel #3 sporter $340
Kampfeld Diamond Fluting $180
Chamber/ muzzle thread $500
SRS TI Pro 4 brake $215
UM Tikka rings $130
Maven RS1.2 $1,200

Grand total: $4,139 plus shipping

I'd chamber it in either 7prc or 6UM. 20" barrel length.

Use the rest to buy ammo or a suppressor

For muzzleloading tags I would get a .50 cal black powder rifle, a nice stainless CVA Accura with a Bergara barrel, and with open sights that I need for my state is $549. https://muzzle-loaders.com/collecti...50-cal-muzzleloader-open-sights-black-pr3241s

For where I can use a semi-auto I'd get a Springfield M1A loaded with the carbon fiber barrel and the national match sights in .308 for under $1,800. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...+armory+m1a+loaded+walnut+stock+carbon+barrel

For a light handy bolt action rifle I'd get another Ruger American Gen II in 5.56 Nato with a 16inch fluted barrel for $600 and put another lightweight Leupold 1.5-4x scope on it.

That is it, the rest of the budget for ammo and gas to go hunt with.

As far as why these three, besides having good experience with each of those rifles or a very similar model from the same brand, it is also that those are the easiest calibers to get cheap practice ammo for, as well as non-lead ammo for when I need to hunt somewhere that requires it.

The naturally heavy M1A and its gas system tames recoil with no need for any muzzle device (though it comes with a flash suppressor), same with the CVA muzzle-loader with a reasonable powder charge. Meanwhile, the Ruger in 5.56 Nato comes with a muzzle brake, but I took mine off because it is totally un-needed for that caliber, at least for me.

By the way, I hate muzzle brakes, they are too damn loud and I don't want to wear ear protection when I'll be hunting all day, and may fire the rifle once or not at all the whole day.

Also, the M1A is fun to use in local Vintage Military Surplus Rifle matches I like to participate in.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
Quality over quantity. I’d spend it on one setup. 2k on the rifle/rings/bases and 3k on the optic itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What $3k scope? The SWFA 6x is one of the best hunting scopes on the market and it’s $300 when in stock.

A hypothetical - Tragedy strikes and your house burns down or is broken into and all of your centerfire hunting rifles are burned/stolen. Miraculously, all of your shotguns, pistols and rimfires are untouched. A few months later, your insurance company cuts a check for your loss. Your spouse/girlfriend offers to pick up and cash the insurance check but stops at Costco and Target on the way home. She returns with only $5,000 to replace your hunting rifle(s) including optics, suppressors, bipods, etc.

$5,000 is your budget for this scenario and it was picked for a reason. Knowing what you know now, do you buy one nicer hunting rig or try and stretch the money for two rifles? Is it more of an advantage to have one nice rifle/scope or to have two budget friendly rifles to cover your hunting needs? What are you buying and why?
$5k is a ton of money for a rifle setup if you’re not looking at a custom or including suppressors. I spent $5k combined for two stainless Tikkas with UM rings & level, Stockys VG, Maven RS1.2, and LS Wild scope covers — and one of those included a rebarrel to a 6creed.

Get yourself two guns for sure.