Elk hunting in idaho

Mikepa

FNG
Heading to Idaho this year for my first elk gun hunt, trying to figure out what fun to take, any help is greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Gun, not fun

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Actually a loaded question, What gun do you currently shoot? What range are you comfortable shooting at? Good shot placement is important. I would wanna be comfortable shooting 300-400 yards elk hunting Idaho. That’s my long range. Closer the better. I shoot a 7mm. And I feel it’s a perfect caliber for elk hunting, tons of punch for good distance, But everyone has there own opinion for different reasons. Be comfortable and familiar with your scope also. Good luck!

OP
M

Mikepa

FNG
Im thinking of taking my 270wsm, it's what I use the most here in pa, but I'm going to upgrade scope and possibly load myself

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
7mm mag, 140gr. barnes ttsx. My last two bulls never took a step; as mentioned above it's all about shot placement and what you shoot shoot well. What rifle do you have now or are you starting from scratch?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Mike, shoot as much gun as your comfortable with. Elk have been killed with a .243 up to a .375 H&H. The 7 mags are great rounds. If I was picking a true “elk” rifle, I’d have to go with the .300 RUM. I’ve owned 3 over the years and don’t find them unpleasant to shoot and it delivers an awesome punch to an elk.
All that being said, my favorite elk rifle is a Rem 673 in .300 SAUM. Love the way it carries and points.

tex0373

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a 7 mag, dad a 7 mag and my youngest brother a 308. Used Hornady EL-DX 162 grain bullets in 2017. Think I’ll change up before this year’s trip. The bull was 150 yds slightly cornered to me and the bullet did not exit. It did stay together, but was puzzled when we didn’t find much blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I've only rifle hunted elk twice. Each Idaho bull was taken with a 30-06 165gr Barnes TTSX I loaded myself. First bull was 330 yards. Second was 253. I really like those bullets!

Also, my kid shot her first bull recently (also a mature bull). 200 yards with that same combo and it was a short tracking job.

ajs04b

FNG
Your 270 WSM will serve you well as an elk rifle along with any optics upgrade you have in mind. I've used that caliber and never found it lacking sufficient killing power. Probably a more important question is what bullets you have a mind to use?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Mike take what ever Fun you are comfortable shooting, I switched from the Nosler Partition years ago to the Barnes TTSX, The nosler's would no group well for me.

Been traveling from Pa to Idaho since 1983 to chase elk. They have a strong desire to live and can take some lead, if you have the chance to shoot an elk. Shoot until his head is on the ground. And remember if it is public land, you will not be alone.