Elk Knife Setup

Which Mora are you guys running that use one? Stainless? High carbon?

I prefer the high carbon unless down on the coast here where salt comes into play then the stainless is nice. I have several of each and just can't beat them for a cheap beater knife.
edit: Having said that, I typically carry my other more expensive better brand knives.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I run a similar setup, rubber handled buck vanguard and replaceable blade outdoor edge

Pro Tip:

The hook blades for roofing in your utility knife work great for opening "Just the skin"

Two 4" rapala filet knives weigh less than one Buck, have great steel, and can take apart several elk before needing a touch up.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
All good feedback on here, I personally didn’t have good luck with the mora it got full very quickly and the blade is to small for my taste, I carry a good buck knife with the gut hook similar to the one shown in the pick on another post and I carry a small sharpener..

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I will be carrying only 1 knife this year.

Bark River Drop Point Hunter Classic A2 steel....it came spooky sharp....fit and finish was amazing....with wicked thick leather sheath.

106135BAR2125MGCna.jpg

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know why there is an ad popping up in my post? It's not supposed to be there lol??

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I am hoping to skin an Elk or Moose and maintain an edge....Moose hide is tough....so time will tell.

Beendare

WKR
My guide buddy likes the Havlon.....I hate those things. He averages 4 blades per elk. Blades break. They are flimsy.
Only good for caping a skull IMO.

One of the quality particle steel blades like S30v, Elmax, S90V hold an incredible edge through a couple elk. Consider your process, I always wear latex gloves and don't like the skeletonize models as they snag gloves.

IMO, find one that feels good in your hand...and get a good sharpening system like the Edge Pro or Gatco system and be done.

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Buck Knives 141 PakLite Trophy Kit . It keeps an edge through 2 elk because it's made of sv30v steel. It does triple duty with 3 blade edges, caping/skinning/and gutting (I use the gut zipper to open up elk down the spine, thus never dulling my skinning edge on hair or hide. Weighs 5.1oz total. Originally $120 but Cabela's is giving them away for $49!!! Buck Knives is family owed since 1902, USA made, and guaranteed for life. I'm a "buy once kinda guy". After writing this, I think I'm going to go a buy a set for each of my sons now. This is a killer deal!
View attachment 105231
Ummm these bucks are made of 420HC steel.

chindits

WKR
I’m still using a folding buck knife to break down elk. I carry it all summer backpacking so I’m strong enough to carry it’s massive weight during hunting season. I imagine I could understand it being too heavy for some if I did a lot of peyote, but I’m drug free except for all the ibuprofen I take because of a heavy folding knife.

GotDraw?

WKR
Reading this, no matter your blade choice, it seems increasingly important that you are "running it", not carrying it or using it.

;-)

That said, I'm uncool and "use" a Benchmade Altitude 15200 (s90v steel) and Havalon. Altitude holds an amazing edge and I agree w/others that note the Havalons are amazing but struggle popping joints so you have to be very careful w/the amount of leverage you put on them.

This year, after reading about so many folks that cut themselves (and having come close myself), I added a lightweight cut-proof glove to my kill kit for my non-knife hand. Cheap insurance in the backcountry.

This is the cut proof glove I selected: Cut Proof Glove

And in case you want to learn more about knife steel than you ever thought possible:
Knife Steel Nerds (s90v) and other steels

JL

Last edited:
Outfitter and i teamed up on skinning/caping my elk. However, he did all the rough bone work (sternum, spine, and pelvis) with a vintage Case XX his late Dad left him. He had to stop a couple times to touch up the edge with some spit and a stone, but I was really impressed he did it all with one smallish (4" blade) hunting knife. I used my custom damascus Wolf River Forge Infidel to cape and skin.

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 35

ericwh

WKR
Which Mora are you guys running that use one? Stainless? High carbon?

I use a carbon Mora 511 and I carry the small Smith's 2-step sharpeners you can get on amazon or at lowes for like $5. It is super easy and fast to touch up the carbon and it gets super sharp. Use this for gutting/skinning/trimming/backstraps.

I also carry a stainless buck 119 which has a thicker blade/feels more robust and has a clip pint - gets used for separating joints mostly.