Elk poacher to spend next 3 elk season in jail

Oregonboy

WKR
That’s neat. That might actually be more painful than one 90 day stretch. Messes up his vacation time every year, plus three strip searches and intakes. Plus he has to dread the next year for 11 months.

Rob5589

WKR
23 years?! Damn. I love taking away a poachers hunting privilege. Just like taking a drunk drivers license away; it's a nothing burger. Glad to see something was finally done, not that it will stop him.

EdP

WKR
When did poachers start caring about when game is in season??????

At least it targets the period he was making money via his illegal activities.

Why shouldn't he be able to poach, look at how many elk his wolf killin has saved. :oops:

Mr. Coward said he started trapping wolves three years ago because he saw the impact the predators had on wildlife populations and the economy. "I’m out in the woods a lot and I see the damage they are doing," Mr. Coward said. "The numbers of elk are dwindling down to nothing."

Mr. Coward estimates by removing eight wolves he’s saved close to 160 elk. "That’s a lot and that’s huge," he said. "I’ve come across elk that are still alive that have been chewed on by wolves. The wolves just ate the hind end off and the elk can’t walk anymore. I decided I was going to learn how to harvest wolves and try to save some elk."

Last edited:

Jkean949

FNG
There is talk from time to time about wolves "surplus killing" being exceedingly rare, I wonder if that tallies maiming game? ....maybe so-called surplus killing is more normal behavior?

Marble

WKR
I came across this article and thought the sentence was pretty creative. The poachers must spend 90 days in jail and the judge sentenced him to 30 days each September for 2022, 2023 and 2024, as well as losing hunting privilege's and fines.

Not bad Judge!
I'm pretty happy with that.

I would like to see a longer ban following the imprisonment but, it's a good first step. F them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

PRC_GUY

WKR
interesting vacation for Mr. coward, he won’t need to buy breakfast, lunch and dinner during vacations. Should be from 2022-2032 , he will enjoy his time with jumping suite.

clever judge... i know that would be worse than 90 days straight... a lot worse.

now if they could keep that up and quit being so easy on habitual game offenders in general... it's often disgusting reading the punishment on poaching cases, how easy many get off