Elk recipes

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
So far I’ve made some summer sausage and hamburgers. (Ground with 20% beef fat). Need some recipes for steaks and roast. I have a smoker if you have any good recipes for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I like the steaks grilled wit done sort of steak seasoning. Nothing fancy. Cook them med rare or rare, otherwise they will be tough and chewy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
So many options for roasts and steaks. I 3X the reverse sear with some good butter.

If you like tartare or carpaccio, those are awesome ways to change things up.

Stuffed tenderloin or backstrap with mushroom, onions, garlic and spinach is good and really easy.

I know guys stay true to the salt and pepper standby, but I like to experiment with different recipes.

One thing we do a lot, is we take butter, garlic, parsley, Dijon mustard or horseradish, salt and pepper and mix that all together. Put that in the fridge to stiffen up and then melt that on your steak. It goes really well with game meat. Easy to do and you can add anything to it to change it up.

Somethings to try.

1000yrds

FNG
For grilling my favorite way is: cut the steaks into 2"x3" stips and marinade the steak over night in- Italian dressing, or Mr Yoshida's and olive oil. Wrap in bacon put several on skewer. Grill until bacon is crispy turning the whole time. The flame-ups will crisp the bacon, but dont over cook the steak (which takes a watchful eye). The last few minutes, turn off the heat and drizzel a very small amount of Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce on each wrap to finish it. Pretty much the best thing you will ever eat! Grilling is all about marinading the steak and then cooking it fast while keeping it moist with olive oil or marinate. DONT OVER COOK!
Pan fry- Season steaks with Montreal steak seasoning, and then tenderize with Jaccard tenderizing tool, then flour the steaks. Heat cast iron skillet on high until almost smoking. Put the steaks in and cook on med-high. Sear both sides, and pull from the skillet at med-rare. DONT OVER COOK!
Trust me, you will love your elk stakes cooked like this :)

For steaks I like to get some smoke on them first then reverse sear.

This is what I do. I take a backstrap roast and smoke it on low temp (<250) until internal temperature is about 125. A meat probe is essential for this so you don't have to keep opening the smoker to check. Then pull it, rest for about 5 minutes, and sear super hot (~500) for one minute on each side. Rest for another 5 minutes and cut to serve. Perfect medium rare with smoke flavor. I'll use a little bit of montreal seasoning, but it really doesn't need much.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Try pastrami! I've used Cabelas recipe on some deer and it was great! My coworkers enjoyed it and my sister - who doesn't typically like venison - liked it as well. I used my GMG pellet grill set at 225 until IT of 150F.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/CWC-Venison-Pastrami/580910580.uts

Done pastrami a few times now. I used the recipe from Rinella's cook book, or website, cant remember but it has turned out great every time. Big fan

thinner roasts work better then thick roast I found

TC406

FNG
Pastrami and corned venison (elk or deer) are both awesome ways to do roasts. I also love cubing up a roast and throwing it in a slow cooker with veggies for a stew. Steaks are easy, just get a cast iron skillet and learn how to use it. Don't forget the shanks!

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Never tried pastrami I’ve always done summer sausage might have to try it.

twall13

WKR
Sounds like you have some ideas for steak and roasts. If you still have a tenderloin left, the best elk I ever ate was a tenderloin I cooked up using Hank Shaws recipe on his website with the ancho sauce. Making the sauce was the part that takes the most time but wasn't too bad. The sauce has a little kick to it but complimented the medium rare tenderloin perfectly. I bet the sauce would go well with steaks too but haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Done pastrami a few times now. I used the recipe from Rinella's cook book, or website, cant remember but it has turned out great every time. Big fan

thinner roasts work better then thick roast I found

Looked up Cabelas and meateater pastrami recipe. Thinking I’ll try the meateater recipe

OP
traviswdalton

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have some ideas for steak and roasts. If you still have a tenderloin left, the best elk I ever ate was a tenderloin I cooked up using Hank Shaws recipe on his website with the ancho sauce. Making the sauce was the part that takes the most time but wasn't too bad. The sauce has a little kick to it but complimented the medium rare tenderloin perfectly. I bet the sauce would go well with steaks too but haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Found it

https://honest-food.net/elk-tenderloin-ancho-sauce/

More from hank Shaw

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/medallions-backstraps-tenderloins/

1000yrds

FNG
Like venison it's a lean meat and can be overlooked easily. So really watch the internal temp. I like to do like I always do with leaner cuts. I run my smoker low 180-200. That way I get the most smoke for the short time it takes. I prefer jerry, pecan, kiawe for woods. Or combinations of these. I usually keep the rub pretty straight forward. Salt, pepper, garlic, onion. We prefer our cooked to a medium-rare. Make sure and rest the meat prior to slicing. Reverse sear works well with elk steaks.