Elk Rut Question

macobb

FNG
So I will be hunting western border of Colorado between October 10-14 for first rifle season. I am just curious if there will be any chance of rutting action that time of year? Will they still be vocalizing or will it be all but over? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I just honestly have never elk hunted and am not certain

Laramie

WKR
They could still be very vocal if you happen to be hunting elk that aren't heavily pressured. Even further north in Wyoming it's not uncommon to hear bulls bugling during the rifle season (Oct 15th-31st for most areas).

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Good chance they will be. I’ve hunted southern NM Gila a few times during rifle season and every time I’ve been down there we heard bugling. I think the first time I was there was oct 19, the second time was about a week earlier, and last year had two mature 6 point bulls with about 30 cows between the two of them and they were both screaming their heads off for two hours straight on opening morning oct 12. I’ve hunted Sargent wma in northern NM close to ten times from second week of October to first week of November and have never rode in there in there before sunrise and not heard at least 5 to 10 and sometimes many more bulls bugling, but that place is an exception and a very special place that I have been blessed to get to hunt

WCB

WKR
Could be I know one state that last year the rut and bugling action was at peak first part of OCT. However, do not mistake bugling for rutting.

Beendare

WKR
Rutting action?

Bugling sure....but stupid in the rut....probably not as they have had a month of bowhunters chasing them around....they have been educated.

_____

OP
M

macobb

FNG
Ok for a newbie what’s the difference you are referring to?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any time in October can generate rutting action in the 2nd and 3rd estrus have shot most of my bulls in October due to some bugling and some extremely intense days with bulls chasing cows hard no different than September this one was going bonkers running a cow and screamin* with another big bull on a crystal clear very cold October day before the magnum barked🤙6C75190D-E97F-4563-8050-B373931399D7.jpeg

As stated above. They definitely will still be talking. Over the last 15 years the rut has slowly creeper later and later with peek rut at the very end of Sept in most places now. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk