Enclosed trailer advice

Beendare

WKR
Update- sure
I used it for a week in late archery season- awesome. Snow, colder than normal the trailer killed living out of a tent.

FWIW, mine is almost finished. Mine is a 14' cheap enclosed trailer I got off of Copart, and built on the cheap-it's not ideal. Its effectively 12’ long inside and not wide.
I can pull my quad in there, take a shower- but when its out the bed folds down. I can clip on the shower curtain and set up the portable vinyl pan and get a warm shower- inside.

Mine has a small stand alone diesel heater that will blow me out of that trailer- I don't use it much as the trailer is well insulated.
IMG_1036.jpeg
Most of mine is electric; Cooler type refer,( on a 150# drawer slide lower right) led lights, Fan, water pump, chargers, etc...but with a LNG shower and stove. 400w of solar panels and a 100AH lithium battery supply all of the power I need- no need for a genny- I hate hearing those.

I insulated it between frame members and then added 1/2" polyiso board to break the thermal barrier from the metal frame ( important) to the 1/8" plywood paneling then foamed the cracks.

I used the cheapest thin underlayment plywood for walls and ceiling then just 2 coats of poly and it looks ok. Floor is vinyl plank. Cabinets are 1/2” birch ply. Counter is the cheapest porcelain tile at HD- -$1.59/sqft,

I did upgrade the solar charger to the Victron unit over the cheapie Renogy unit that came with the solar panels. This is a smart charger and has a readout unit ( separate) that shows how much its charging, battery power, etc.
IMG_1037.jpeg
I still need to finish the cabinets, faces are cut just not installed.

That little square in the floor is an insulated piece covering the floor drain for the shower pan. The 40g tank and 12v pump is in the bench- right side- not really in the picture.

Edit- i have been PM’d on buying this at Copart auction Sight unseen, so add this info to the data base here. That has its downsides as there can be unknown problems. In my case the wheel well was missing But there was hidden damage to the frame of the trailer.

Even if I would have paid an inspector to look it over they would not have seen that the whole passenger side frame where it meets the floor was busted loose. The trailer must have flipped on its side because it was racked a little bit out of plumb on the front half passenger side.

I did not find that out until I pulled the plywood off the frame to insulate it. It was not that difficult to fix as I can weld, so I braced it up plumb And re-welded the frame Before putting it back together. Easy really.

IMO, The key to these auctions is to get whatever it is at a steal, don’t pay too much. Factor in that the auctions will charge you a buyers fee. My buddy used to have a dealers license and those guys typically charge you fee also.

Set a limit on what you will pay and don’t talk yourself out of it- grin

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
If I was going to do this again, I would opt for a bigger trailer as Treemain stated- good call.

I think Ideal is one thats wider than mine- 7’ plus wide would be nice And 16’ long. that way I could get a full bath and shower in there without it being portable. That would fit a SxS or a quad and other.

Then tall enough to put Two layers of foam board in the ceiling and one on the floor plus panelling so you don’t have to hunch over.

Aluminum frame for light weight. Tapered or bulb nose for aerodynamics.
I would still do the solar but maybe even more to add electric heating and cooling.

Lastly, I would add an awning

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
This is a bit long winded but I just got done building ours out and happy with how it turned out.
IMG_1578.jpeg
Our old setup was our “blue collar toy hauler” which was a 18’ dovetail trailer with tandem 7k axles that I had mounted our old pop-up camper to after cutting the tongue off and removing the axle. Worked out pretty nice and even had a nice porch but eventually the wife and kiddo wanted a bathroom and a heater so we started looking at options.

New campers are built like shit and anything that was big enough to fit our Pioneer was too heavy for my Tundra to tow. We weren’t looking for anything too fancy - no AC, TVs, generators or indoor fireplaces.

So we decided to build out a cargo trailer and the 8.5x16 would fit our needs without getting too big or heavy. I priced out buying a cargo trailer but by the time I added windows, RV style door, insulated the walls and ceiling, finished the interior, plus flipped the axles for more ground clearance the cost wasn’t much different than ordering exactly what we wanted especially if we started with a better quality trailer than the cheapy enclosed.

IMG_9129.jpeg
We had ours built with the insulated walls and ceiling with white aluminum panel on the interior. The Nudo(?) plywood floor is rubber inside and out so it will stand up to water much better than the standard plywood plus has a nice finished look inside. We eliminated the AC and roof rack plus we deleted the shore power hook up and all the interior outlets/lights that only run on 110 since we never camp anywhere that we can plug in.

I added a small room for the wife’s cassette style toilet, 16 gallon water tank with a water pump and sink that just “daylight” drains (no black/grey tanks to drag/break or drain), 2x 200ah 12v lithium batteries and a cheapy diesel heater from Amazon.
IMG_6999.jpeg
Ignore the messy wiring - it’s more tidy now that everything is done. We crammed a lot of stuff if the small space behind the kitchen drawers.
IMG_9125.jpeg
The home depot tool chest plus a couple custom cabinet fronts that I ordered from Midwest Race cabinets allows for way more storage than we had before. The electric fridge and slide workout pretty slick and with the way the lid opens both directions makes it easy to grab stuff from outside too.
IMG_9131.jpeg

For sleeping we added a couple folding beds that store vertically when the Pioneer is inside, fold down into couches for meals and games, and then lay flat for twin 40x80 beds that are surprisingly comfortable. I added the folding bed above the kitchen for the kid to sleep and once she put grows that and starts wanting to sleep out side it will be easily removable without too many extra holes in the walls or ceiling. For the record - I’m not a fan of the rug but I got out voted…
IMG_9134.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpegIMG_9133.jpeg
IMG_9126.jpeg
All in all I’m very happy with it and think it will fit our needs for a long time. Already spent a few nights in it and can’t wait for some spring bear trips to really run it through the paces. Definitely not the cheapest route but this way we got everything we needed/wanted and I had a fun winter project.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
I have an 8.5x24 trailer with an extra 6 inches in height. Needed the extra height to fit my SxS in since it's 75 in. tall. Previous owner had already put bunks in the v-nose, screened windows and RV style door. 24 ft. sounds long, but it tows easily and I'm not taking in on rough narrow forest service roads. It's long enough that I can take the SxS and ATV or 2 ATV's depending on needs.

Beendare

WKR
Check out Colorado Trailers.

You are welcome!
Edit- those CO trailers are nice but a tad pricey for a base trailer. They do have a used one for $10k on their lot. A new CO trailers 16’ is $28k. Ive seen comparable new trailers for less than 1/2 that.

If you plan to build out one of these you will want to strip the walls to get electric or plumbing inside for a clean install.

Seems to me the only way to buy these RVs and trailers is used.

Last edited:

Peytb10

FNG
I would go with the 16 ft over the 14 as for width. I use my utv a lot and like the wider trailer just makes all things around the sxs and trailer easier, plus when I use the trailer for other things I don't mind the extra square footage. Little to see towing but I rarely town in town so meh.
I agree with this. Climbing around the sides gets old

manitou1

WKR
Edit- those CO trailers are nice but a tad pricey for a base trailer. They do have a used one for $10k on their lot. A new CO trailers 16’ is $28k. Ive seen comparable new trailers for less than 1/2 that.

If you plan to build out one of these you will want to strip the walls to get electric or plumbing inside for a clean install.

Seems to me the only way to buy these RVs and trailers is used.
Colorado trailers are insulated with metal wall,ceiling and floor studs (joists).

Aluminum interiors. Led lights inside and out, GFI receptacle outside, back deck, 5' canopy window, ac with heat strip, battery and charger, 30 amp hookup with cord.

Aluminum ladder w/ 5'x7' roof rack.

Removeable trailer ball hitch, independent torsion axles, steel diamondplate fenders, electric trlr brakes on both axles, steel frame, 19" ground clearance.

Waterproof membrane in undercarriage, plastic barrier, then rubber floor with flush d-rings.

32" off road tires with blackout wheels.

Two 44"x18" windows.

duel 3500 lb axles. Next size up (18') has duel 5500 lb axles.

There is a lot to these tralers. There are overbuilt for off roading and durability... but they are heavy. The 7x16 is 3800 lbs empty.
The 7x18 runs 4800 lbs empty.

.040" outside skin.

Stabilizer jacks.

Jacks on back ramp door to make it a deck.

Outside ramp load lights.

They also have 8.5' wide models.

We just bought our 7x16' for $23,900.

The price is higher because these are not a standard particle board/plywood utility trailer.

There is not a comparable trailer out there on the market for 1/2 that like you stated. Not even close.

Beendare

WKR
The Co trailers look good…..but also heavy and expensive.

If a guy is building out the interior for a camper he might want to get plumbing, gas, and wiring in the walls for a clean install…so having all that done would not help a guy like myself. Different strokes.

bbrown

WKR
The Co trailers look good…..but also heavy and expensive.

If a guy is building out the interior for a camper he might want to get plumbing, gas, and wiring in the walls for a clean install…so having all that done would not help a guy like myself. Different strokes.
You are not wrong - I think they run $2-4k over what they should be listed at but as @manitou1 listed they do come with a lot of features and extras to help offset the added cost. I figured by the time I bought a good quality enclosed trailer and added all the extras I would be $3-4k cheaper than the completed Colorado trailer so I just had to decide how much my time was worth.

One upgrade not mentioned was the torsion axles and they seem to be a big upgrade over the standard tube/spring axles not only for the added ground clearance but the improved handling on and off road.

There is a couple nitpicks I have with their build quality but those are pretty minor and mostly aesthetic.