Ever had one of those night where you’re just cold?

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Tested my new bag last night and it did not go well. Temp was low 30’s (enough for a good frost and some crust on top) and somewhat windy. Klymit static V (R 4.4) and a WM versalite (10 degree rated) and I was cold. Cold enough that it was interrupting my sleep. I know my pad isn’t the greatest and I plan to run a piece of foam (2 lb density that will also be my sit pad) but I sure would have thought I would have been warm in these conditions. Could there be something that wrong with my system or just one of those nights that are unexplainable? I do tend to get very cold when I’m tired and I certainly was since I was up most of the night... guess it could have been the lack of sleep making me cold which just compounded my ability to sleep. I will give it another shot sometime soon but I’m a little concerned at this point.

I’ve used that exact pad and an older 0 degree Kelty bag down to single digits while wearing nothing but boxer briefs without a problem. I do get my sleeping bag hood cinched down really well where the only thing exposed to air is my mouth and the tip of my nose. But maybe I sleep a little warmer than the average guy.

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of food but probably not enough water. Was wearing light merino top and bottom. I also need to figure out the pillow situation... stuck my puffy in the compression sack from my bag. If I would’ve put my puffy on I wouldn’t have had a pillow.

Hmmm. This is cause for concern. Hope you get it figured out. I have the same pad and just bought a WM Terralite bag overfilled. To warm to test here this week.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In a tent, or just out in the open? Ground or on a cot? How long before you went to bed did you eat? Shouldn't be close to cold with that setup at those temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Plenty of food but probably not enough water. Was wearing light merino top and bottom. I also need to figure out the pillow situation... stuck my puffy in the compression sack from my bag. If I would’ve put my puffy on I wouldn’t have had a pillow.

Did you eat a sufficient amount of fat? Adding some butter into tea before bed, consuming fish oils or straight up doing a shot of olive oil helps.

Trial153

WKR
I am going to take a Stab in the dark....its your pad.

I wouldnt change anything else except try your pad with full foam pad under it, something like a nemo switchback.

See if that changes your night sleep..

OP
John pettimore

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
In a tent, or just out in the open? Ground or on a cot? How long before you went to bed did you eat? Shouldn't be close to cold with that setup at those temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In a tent, on the ground, about 2 hours.

tdot

WKR
What were you doing for the 30 minutes prior to crawling into the sleeping bag? Did you go to bed cold?

Eating is one way to produce heat, but also being active and atleast warm before crawling into the sleeping bag is also important.

If you become cold, you have to do something to warm up. Eat, be active, hot water in a nalgene in the bottom of the bag, etc.

Voyageur

WKR
I am going to take a Stab in the dark....its your pad.

I wouldnt change anything else except try your pad with full foam pad under it, something like a nemo switchback.

See if that changes your night sleep..
This is my guess as well. I'm assuming the ground was/is frozen? A 30 degree night on frozen ground in February is different than a 30 degree night in September or October on ground that hasn't froze yet.

Phaseolus

WKR
Were you in some sort of shelter? Being exposed to the wind can make it very difficult for any bag to function well. I’m one of those people who needs a bag rated for 20 below the temperature to be warm in the lower end of the spectrum.

bruno59

WKR
you could also try the closed cell foam pad from gossamer gear 1/8 inch only 2.5 ozs. underneath your pad but i have the same pad and have slept well into the teens in a old 15 degree bag with just my boxers on and socks you might just be a cold sleeper i am not

Poser

WKR
a mountain house, nothing added.

While I’m sure your pad is the primary culprit, a Mtn House meal has almost no fat in it. Some guys add olive oil, butter, powdered butter etc to the meals to have some fat. It’s definitely worth considering as, if anything, you need as much but possibly more dietary fat than you would eat at home and you will definitely perceive a difference in warmth having consumed fat vs. not.

Another vote for your pad. A closed cell foam pad on top or bottom of your current pad would add r value. Cover your head. Warm hat or in the bag.

Pre warm the bag with a Nalgene full of hot water 30 mins before you get in. Keep it in the bottom of the bag and it will give off heat for a couple of hours.

Make sure your base layer or bed clothes are dry along with your buddy. Evaporating sweat from your body or clothes will rob heat.

A few exercises just before bed to move the blood but not sweat is a good way to make sure you don’t go to bed cold.

A small hot drink before bed is great but I try to limit fluids before bed to reduce the need to pee. If you do this though it is important to manage hydration. Depending on conditions and water access I usually drop camp and start pounding water ASAP while I set up and settle in. My goal is to have hydration back to base line before dinner ie peeing clear. That can be 1-3 quarts of water and some salt pills depending on conditions and exertion.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had three different WM bags that when paired with an appropriate pad have been pretty much spot on their rating when I get chilled . That being said , my guess is One - the bag is too small for you Or two - it was caused by sweat or sunburn or similar . When I have been cold in a bag it’s usually been one of those two ( I had a FF flicker that was a little small ) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
never believe the numbers, the bag is too close to be sure, you could wear an extra layer to help but i am betting pad. too. easy to check by adding a CC pad on top.

if you are a cold sleeper it is what it is.

As I get older, I get colder. Got a -10* EE Conundrum quilt recently. Used it last weekend for the first time. Temps in the low 30s and I was in thermal perfection. I always take a quilt or bag rated much lower than the expected temps. You can always vent, remove clothes but you cannot make a sleep system warmer. Quilts are my jam...and a Hoodlum for serious cold.