Expectation for Archery Elk Hunt - Blue Chip Unit

Sure are a lot of debbie downer responses!

I drew a 'blue chip' unit in New Mexico last year and it was my first elk hunt. I went into the hunt fully expecting to harvest a bull, and I was successful. In fact, I had shot opportunities at bulls (with archery gear) every day. I ended up settling for a ~260" 6x6 on day four and actually missed one larger. Self-guided DIY public land. That being said, I am an extremely experienced whitetail and turkey hunter who is in excellent physical condition. I immersed myself in everything elk during the 4.5 months before my hunt. Approximately ~2 hours a day spent on prep (physical fitness, calling, research, instructional reading/videos) almost every day. This year I am heading to Wyoming on a general tag for my second archery elk hunt. Once gain, I fully expect to bring back some antlers. But once again, hunt preparation is a part of my daily routine. And I believe confidence also plays a part in success.

I say this as some 'positive' reinforcement. Hopefully you've been giving it your all ever since you drew the tag. If so, and you are already a pretty good hunter with great woodsmanship skills that can give it 100% all day long, I believe one, if not both, of ya'll can get an opportunity. I know too many great hunters east of the Mississippi who get opportunities about every time they chase elk out west in non 'blue-chip' units!

All that being said, I could just be a lucky SOB who is going to get humbled by Wyoming elk this September!

Why go hunting if you are not confident you can be successful. Go and kill two. It can be done. Son and daughter did it in the first 4 days of our planned 2 week bow hunt in 2019 on general area tags. Two nice six points called in. I did not have a tag. I was just caller and pack mule. I am not a new elk hunter, but being from Michigan I am no where near as skilled as a resident of the west. Kids are good hunters, but not what you would call experienced elk hunters. We do work well as a team. Always believe it can be done! One thing I would add is it would sure be better if you could add a few more days to your hunt. 8 days goes fast! We plan for two full weeks!

Attachments

• molly bull steve joe.jpg
    molly bull steve joe.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • steve elk.jpg
    steve elk.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: