Expectation for Archery Elk Hunt - Blue Chip Unit

First hunt in a trophy quality unit is a huge waste for 90% of guys because they don’t know how to hunt and might as well be in a low point unit. I talk to more new hunters than most and the vast majority shoot small critters if they’re lucky.

ChrisAU

WKR
I would have definitely wanted a couple years of experience in an OTC unit. It may be a blue chip unit, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the first legal bull. If after that you guys have the juice to go after another, more power to you. Here's to hoping you posts pics of two whoppers in a couple months in this thread!

The first year we (meaning 6 of us) went archery elk hunting in a zone that averaged 17% kill. We had 4 arrows that left our bows 3 bulls and 1 spike, all missed, damn nerves. Bulls were bugleing we had a good time. Go find them, play the wind, shoot straight and have fun. Anything is possible.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't care where you are hunting, in my opinion it is always unreasonable to "expect" to kill 1 elk, let along 2. There are no gimmies in elk hunting.

Scoot

WKR
My buddy and I killed two 6 point bulls in the first two hours of our first day of elk hunting. It can be done! To expect that wouldn't be realistic, but we worked dang hard and finished 3/3 in a WY draw unit (not a top end unit). Work hard, learn as much as you can, have fun. I bet at least one of you gets a good chance.

Oh, get in the best shape you can.

My buddy and I killed two 6 point bulls in the first two hours of our first day of elk hunting. It can be done! To expect that wouldn't be realistic, but we worked dang hard and finished 3/3 in a WY draw unit (not a top end unit). Work hard, learn as much as you can, have fun. I bet at least one of you gets a good chance.

Oh, get in the best shape you can.
Rifle?

I agree that you should stay in the moment and try to enjoy the journey rather than the destination.

I'd still plan on killing an elk. As soon as that idea leaves your head, you're not elk hunting. Expect to work hard, and have the mountains kick your ass. Enjoy it. Elk hunting is a rough endeavor.

If you do kill one. Be prepared to be beat after carrying it out. Nothing like questioning all your life choices while you slowly carry an elk out of a canyon. You might not want to get a second one after that.

Number one tip I can give you is.. don't forget headlamps.

Most guys are heading back to camp when the real elk hunters are just getting started. Expect to be out in the dark every morning, and walking out in the dark every night. If you're scared of the dark, elk hunting isn't for you.

KHNC

WKR
Why you are going to a blue chip unit with no guide and no elk hunting experience is beyond me. Why not hire a guide for a trip like this? Best way to learn is with a guide in a primo area. I have experience and i couldnt kill a bull in 9 days in New Mexico 16A 2015. Now i may never get to hunt that unit again. My buddy that went with me hired a personal 1 on 1 guide and killed a bull in a few days. i had plenty encounters and missed two bulls. But it was still a challenge.

Scoot

WKR

No- archery. I shot the first bull at a whopping distance of 8 feet. Buddy called him in and he finally turned broadside inside of three yards from me. Crazy experience! When taking pics of that bull another one bugled less than 100 yards from us. We sneaked over and I called him in and my buddy shot him (after missing first) at 30 yards. Public land, unguided- literally our first two hours of elk hunting ever. Neither bull is huge by any means, but both are 6 point bulls and we were thrilled to tag out on nice bulls. Spent the next many days working hard to get my brother a crack at one and he finally got a chance in the 11th hour of the trip and made good on his opportunity on a HUGE, old 7x2. Biggest bodied bull I've ever seen, still to this day (that was almost two decades ago).

Sounds like you guys did good. It was also 20 years ago when archery pressure was probably way less. That said, there’s always going to be a few that get lucky right away or are just hunting studs.

I have midwestern buddies who haven't hunted elk that I'd expect to kill at least 1 but likely 2 bulls in the OP's situation. On the other hand, I've met a bunch of folks that I'd put the odds at or below 50% of killing one bull.

If you're a killer, mentally tough, physically fit, do your research, take a scouting trip, and get after it your odds are pretty dang good. I'd say 90% of hunters aren't going to meet that grade though.

I'd for damn sure be making at least 1 summer scouting trip to learn the area. I did a long weekend scouting traveling from CA for my lone WY gen tag and didn't figure out the best way to attack the area until the end of the trip.

Scoot

WKR
...That said, there’s always going to be a few that get lucky right away or are just hunting studs.

Just hunting studs, thank you! LOL! We have a lot of hunting experience between the three of us and we read anything and everything we could for the year prior to going. I listened to tons of podcasts, read every internet forum, read several books etc. That being said, we were greenhorns as far as elk was concerned and we got very lucky to get the chances we got. I've found elk hunting to be a lot tougher since! But, I'm batting about .750 on punching my elk tags, hunting only with a bow, so I'm doing ok.

Elk hunting is hard work and it's humbling very often. But, elk aren't invincible! Find 'em (an extremely important step), get the wind right (as important, but tougher to control), and learn by doing. That advice alone will get you far. ...and... have fun the whole time because most people aren't as lucky as you if you get to hunt elk.

fatlander

WKR
So you’ve been buying points for at least 11 years or you got super lucky. Either way, it’s going to be a whole lot longer than 11 years before you hunt that unit again.

I’d hire a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
I would use all the resources you can (Elk101, Roe Hunting resources, etc.) between now and when you leave. Learn all you can about calling, elk behavior, and what they are actually saying to you. I have had some of my best success sneaking in quietly while a bull is talking. I would also consider the fact that you could come back and rifle hunt. That is a great unit with some really good bulls. Have fun!

Is it unreasonable to expect a victory in ones first football game.......going up against Brady , and Gronk?

Maybe give racing a try.......at the Daytona 500.

I know I could kick some golf ass if they'd just let me in the Masters......

There's always a chance.

images (4).jpeg

I don't care where you are hunting, in my opinion it is always unreasonable to "expect" to kill 1 elk, let along 2. There are no gimmies in elk hunting.

Huh? I expect to kill an elk every day in the Elkwoods. I think you need to come hang out with me in September. I will be expecting to kill an elk in a heavily pressured OTC unit in CO. I will also be expecting you to help me pack him or her out. How do you expect to join the 10% club if you expect to be in the 90% club? Get it together man!

Last edited:
After an 11 year wait I'd be doing one of 2 things.

1. Planning a return trip with a rifle
Or.
2. Hunting for two weeks and hunting the last week for September and first week of rifle in October.

It's a good unit, but I don't know if I'd call it blue chip. Holds good numbers of elk with some pretty good size. Be ready to climb but also don't overlook the lower country.

To be fair......

Despite the ball busting,

there's no better place to learn than a good unit.

Thats a lot easier.

Ignorance, and beginners exuberance has bridged more gaps than all the orthodontists in hollywood.