Expectations vs reality

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
You may already know this from your research, but MR updated their frame design in 2019 from the Guide Light to Guide Light "MT". In my opinion, the segmented 5-panel belt on the MT frame is a big improvement over the non-MT belt and would be worth spending a little more money.

MR also changed their buckle design as part of the frame update, so older bags designed for the non-MT frame aren't directly compatible with the new MT frame (and vice versa). You can order a buckle conversion kit over the phone from MR customer service if you wanted to mix-and-match bag/frame generations.

Good luck with your search. If you're on Facebook, the "Mystery Ranch Interest and Sales" private group would be a good place to look.
Good to know about the differences in frames and buckles. I have seen the buckle kit and wondered what it’s purpose was.

JRMiller

WKR
Sell them all and buy a MR ot Kuiu, used if needed.
You can use a MR/Kuiu for a simple weekend backpack trip or you can use them to hunt with, double duty.
The others you cannot.

Gapmaster

WKR
Planning on heading to Colorado this fall for an otc elk hunt. Victory loves preparation; with that mindset I put together a sandbag/contractor bag/duct tape bag to test/train in light of what may come. I’ve done a 7 day backpack trip in CO recently and do several 3 day outings here in the Appalachians. So today expected my Osprey pack to handle the “load” and was quickly hit with reality. This bag may be good for hiking/camping but it’s not going to help when it comes time to hauling meat. The dude I’m going to CO with keeps asking “how did the old timers do it” our answer is inevitably the hard way! I guess those old salts just shouldered the load and took it one step at a time.

Just tonight it hit me. They did it that way because shy of using a pack animal that was the only way to do it. With this short narrative now complete does anyone have any thoughts on too much pack vs too little?

To sum it up I have several packs already actually too many. Osprey, TNF, Camelback, Outdoor Products, Rudis. Sizes range from day packs, assault style, 3/4 day, to 6+ day. However none are rated for weight that seems to be appropriate for packing big game.

So the question is do I add another pack to the fleet or do I resolve to pain and suffering with what I have? Can I make what I have work? Maybe. Will it be easy? H to the no!
Camofire has some MR packs on there today 30% off. May not be what you want or may help you. Just FYI

Forgot to mention a good budget option. Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50, 65, or 80 can be found for less than $400 all the time and sometimes close to $300. They aren’t Camo colors but that doesn’t matter.

I second this! I own three MR packs. My son and I bought the Glacier for our first elk hunt after talking with MR customer service and being told they are rated to 100lbs and the same size as the Metcalf without the load shelf. I added a Grab it to essentially make a shelf in reverse. I have trained with 40-75lbs up to 5 miles and never had an issue and it carried so well I am confident the rating is light compared to what you could really carry. Only caveat is I would not recommend it for anyone that may carry more than 50 pounds IF you have a torso longer than 21” which most people don’t. I have the 21” torso my son is taller with a 23” torso and there is no lift for him and will get pins and needles in his hands over 50 pounds.

That being said I bought a Terraframe 50 last summer so I could pack in my hang on stands easier. It has been awesome and packed out 3 deer ranging from a first dressed weight of about 80 pounds to 140 pounds with no issues. It also fits my son with enough lift.

I was able to get the Terraframe for $229 from Sierra trading post as a 2019 close out. It has exceeded my expectations. The frame is the older Guidelight and I find it very comfortable so could only imagine how comfortable the Guidelight MT frame is in the newer ones. I am sure if you are patient you will find some 2020 leftovers on sale for deep discounts.

86698ea4881709873a85296b149731cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGARZA913

FNG
4 years in, we've packed out a cow and a bull in the last two years. As others have said, upgraded waist belts and shoulder straps are beneficial. 1st year with cow, had an old kuiu setup. last year upgraded to new pro harness and was very noticeable. But, heavy is heavy, and hiking with weight through the summer is definitely helpful to prep hips and ankles.

Big.lou

FNG
I think its worth investing in dedicated frame pack specifically for hauling meat if it is something you plan to make a habit out of. I made do with an Osprey and it'll get the job done...but god d*mn it wasn't difficult to determine that it wasn't made for the kind of weight associated with packing meat out.

Jhill1980

FNG
Planning on heading to Colorado this fall for an otc elk hunt. Victory loves preparation; with that mindset I put together a sandbag/contractor bag/duct tape bag to test/train in light of what may come. I’ve done a 7 day backpack trip in CO recently and do several 3 day outings here in the Appalachians. So today expected my Osprey pack to handle the “load” and was quickly hit with reality. This bag may be good for hiking/camping but it’s not going to help when it comes time to hauling meat. The dude I’m going to CO with keeps asking “how did the old timers do it” our answer is inevitably the hard way! I guess those old salts just shouldered the load and took it one step at a time.

Just tonight it hit me. They did it that way because shy of using a pack animal that was the only way to do it. With this short narrative now complete does anyone have any thoughts on too much pack vs too little?

To sum it up I have several packs already actually too many. Osprey, TNF, Camelback, Outdoor Products, Rudis. Sizes range from day packs, assault style, 3/4 day, to 6+ day. However none are rated for weight that seems to be appropriate for packing big game.

So the question is do I add another pack to the fleet or do I resolve to pain and suffering with what I have? Can I make what I have work? Maybe. Will it be easy? H to the no!
The way that I approached this was the Kuiu Pack system. Their bags are interchangeable with the frame. You can have a large expedition sized bag or a smaller day pack. All of the pack bags can attach to the frame in the meat hauling configurations. So, even with a smaller bag you can still haul meat. The only thing I will knock a Kuiu pack on is the squeaking drone the carbon fiber frame that happens periodically. I have the Icon Pro 5200 which is the generation before their current line.

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
The way that I approached this was the Kuiu Pack system. Their bags are interchangeable with the frame. You can have a large expedition sized bag or a smaller day pack. All of the pack bags can attach to the frame in the meat hauling configurations. So, even with a smaller bag you can still haul meat. The only thing I will knock a Kuiu pack on is the squeaking drone the carbon fiber frame that happens periodically. I have the Icon Pro 5200 which is the generation before their current line.
I like that idea; one frame and multiple pack options. Thanks I’ll do some research.

Jhill1980

FNG
You guys realize that such a concept has already existed for years, don’t you? www.kifaru.net
Yes, thank you for the reminder. There are quite a few companies out there that I personally find to be quality. One of the deciding factors for me when deciding on a pack(s) was the weight of the pack itself. Kifaru seem to be on the higher end of pack weights depending on which pack bags you choose to attach? They do have lighter weight pack options. I really like that a lot of their bags are DWR treated. The unfortunate thing with packs is the lack of “try before you buy”. In my opinion the only way to truly decide on what packs work for you is to have the packs themselves, side by side, weighted down, and properly fitted. Everyone has different bodies, preferences, and any other number of nuances that make packs fit differently. I’m 6ft tall, and 140lbs. What is Kifaru’s warranty like?

Firehawk

WKR
Exo Mountain Gear also has a modular system. You can get the frame sized for you, belt sized for you, and different bags that will/can work for your purposes. Like others have said, the frame needs to fit you comfortably and the bags can be configured to your needs.

I have an Exo K2 3500. I added the meat shelf bag, multiple organizer pockets, weapon carrier accessory and two belt pockets. I can run my holster on the belt, I have also bought the K3 1800 bag which works great on the K2 frame. I also purchased a small belt to swap out to when I had lost a bunch of weight and found the medium fitting me too loose with weight.

My 3500 bag compresses down to a small size. If I am truly hunting from the truck/ATV or from a base camp, I find that the 1800 pack is perfect, but I run the lid with it as well.

I have an Osprey Atmos AG backpack for backpacking. I used it a total of ONE time. It was comfortable, fit well, was a good backpacking weight and I enjoyed it except for the squeak it developed on that first multiple day backpacking trip in the High Uinta Wilderness area. For hunting, I used to run a Badlands 2200 internal frame hunting pack. I thought it was good and hauled many quarters on that pack and was so grateful for the meat shelf.

When I moved to the "then new" EXO 3500 (generation 1 version) and got to haul an animal in it, I was blown away. The pack was roughly the same weight, but it could be bigger significantly, and it was so comfortable to wear all the time while hunting. But the first time I put animal weight on that pack (see my profile picture), I really understood how big of a difference a pack meant to haul meat (weight, shape, etc.) was. It was a game changer. Such a huge difference. But I likely wouldn't have arrived at that position had I not worn the pack while hunting. It had to be comfortable. The EXO excelled in this regard. And the K2 version was more better. I sold the Badlands to a buddy that wanted it (still feel bad about this.) and I have never used my Osprey again as I prefer the EXO in every way. Guess I should sell that Osprey, but had held onto it for my sons or wife to use if I could ever talk them into backpacking with me ever. Haven't been successful in that yet.

MR, Kifaru, SG and EXO would all be worth consideration. I am personally a fan of EXO due to the fact that their products work, are great quality, are comfortable, and also very important---backed by an amazing customer service experience. Customer Service can't be any better than what I have experienced with them. No need for me to look elsewhere at this point.

FH

Last edited:

MGARZA913

FNG
I was thinking of doing the same, but my Ultra 6000 compresses down so well, I've just stuck with it. I had the same squeaking issue, but seems to be improved with the new harness. Now the squeak seems to be my holster.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, thank you for the reminder. There are quite a few companies out there that I personally find to be quality. One of the deciding factors for me when deciding on a pack(s) was the weight of the pack itself. Kifaru seem to be on the higher end of pack weights depending on which pack bags you choose to attach? They do have lighter weight pack options. I really like that a lot of their bags are DWR treated. The unfortunate thing with packs is the lack of “try before you buy”. In my opinion the only way to truly decide on what packs work for you is to have the packs themselves, side by side, weighted down, and properly fitted. Everyone has different bodies, preferences, and any other number of nuances that make packs fit differently. I’m 6ft tall, and 140lbs. What is Kifaru’s warranty like?

I suppose my post was directed less toward you and more toward the OP and following comment that implied that interchangeable frames and packs were newsworthy and the subsequent posts worth following. They aren't - it's only worth doing a bit more research to discover their existence and it's all been rehashed since time immemorial on this very forum.

But I sympathize. It wasn't a very helpful post. It can be hard to start out with a new facet of a familiar hobby, backpacking, and encounter only forum posts that tell them "do more research," even if that's what they should do. If there's a single brand-agnostic, unsponsored, neutral article or post series that definitively sums up the common backpack manufacturers discussed around here then I must have missed it. Otherwise it's worth spending a few more hours just reading the forums, reading the manufacturers' product descriptions, comparing the two and then taking the plunge with a purchase. You're right, there are precious few physical places in the world where you can just try on all the competing packs before you buy one, so a new person is kinda stuck buying before trying. It's the cost of the internet.

Specifically, are Kifaru packs heavier than their competitors'? If that is more than a myth and is actually true, and that we had a way to compare identical packs, I'll paraphrase an explanation I've heard a few times from Kifaru that goes: the slight amount of ounces a Kifaru pack might weigh more than a competitor's is negligible compared to its corresponding significant increase in durability. In my experience, they'd be happy to field warranty and personal fit and use questions before you make a purchase.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider