Expensive boots shrunk!

Hey guys, first post on here! Last year I finally pulled the trigger on some full leather Crispi boots and they were instantly the best boots I’d ever worn. February- may shed hunting they kicked butt. Then July and august they were awesome scouting but the at the end of august they got wet on the inside crossing a creek and when they dried I could barely get my feet in them. September came and after my first 5 days of chasing bulls both of my big toes were black and blue. Is there a fix to this? They fit perfect before they shrunk. I loved these boots and can’t afford to dish out money for another pair since all my hunting money is headed towards optics right now. Any suggestions would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I would call Crispi and let them know. My guess is that they'll take care of you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That sucks.

I have NOT had that issue with my crispi boots. I took them on an 8 day sheep hunt 2 years ago and they were soaked the entire trip. When I got back they sat in my entry way for a week or so and all I did was put wadded up newspaper in them. They got all white and crusty and just crappy in general, I figured they were done but a few applications of crispi boot cream brought them back to life, they were good as new after the leather absorbed that stuff and softened up.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same shrinking experience with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I thought they were done for... I applied some leather conditioner, wore the boots a few times, and the problem was solved. YMMV.

Get them soaking wet, all over, like really wet... Then put them on and wear them dry. Once dry, start oiling them and do that regularly. All of my boots are oiled no matter the time of the year and every so often I go through and oil them again. Certainly before and after each use at a minimum.

Putting boots away wet will typically result in some shrinkage once they dry, especially if they were not well oiled prior and I'll bet based on what you posted that Crispi will tell you something similar.

OP
Timberline001
Get them soaking wet, all over, like really wet... Then put them on and wear them dry. Once dry, start oiling them and do that regularly. All of my boots are oiled no matter the time of the year and every so often I go through and oil them again. Certainly before and after each use at a minimum.

Putting boots away wet will typically result in some shrinkage once they dry, especially if they were not well oiled prior and I'll bet based on what you posted that Crispi will tell you something similar.

They got soaked on the hike in to a overnight fishing trip. I dried them by the fire that night for the hike out so I’m wondering if that’s what did it. I completely forgot about putting them by the fire.

OP
Timberline001
I had the same shrinking experience with my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I thought they were done for... I applied some leather conditioner, wore the boots a few times, and the problem was solved. YMMV.

I treated them heavy with Kenetrek conditioner, maybe it’ll take a couple coats.

WCB

WKR
Leather does that...As stated above get them wet wet put them on and wear them dry....you could sit in front of a fan or fire with them on to help them dry quicker. Or get a stretcher and do it that way I have had many pairs of leather shoes/boots do this.

OP
Timberline001
I left them far enough away that they wouldn’t dry and crack. I’ve always done it with Danners in the past. I guess this higher quality leather shrinks more. I’ll try treating it first, then get them wet and dry them on my feet, and last stretch them if nothing else works.

Heat can cause rand separation too. When I guy thinks he has greased his boots enough, grease em again! They should be greased before a hunt then again when the hunt is over. Make sure to grease them if you put them away for awhile as well. Dry boots will start to rot.

Yeah man the fire did it.
I run several pairs of boots and insoles now as I fear even putting them on a boot dryer.
Definitely don't tell them you put them by a fire as any warranty will be void.

OP
Timberline001
Yeah man the fire did it.
I run several pairs of boots and insoles now as I fear even putting them on a boot dryer.
Definitely don't tell them you put them by a fire as any warranty will be void.

I’ll definitely be more careful in the future. If I’d been wearing my gaiters they wouldn’t have gotten wet inside anyways

Squamch

WKR
Definitely the fire. My partner cooked his boots on a hunt once so badly that he hiked out in the snow in his camp sneakers.
My lowas I had the toe of one shrink ever so slightly, found an actual cobbler, and showed him the boot. 10 minutes later, problem solved.