Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I know there's some older posts on this, but thought it was a subject worth revisiting. I'm thinking about a new tripod for hunting shooting and glassing in that order. Want to keep things as simple as I can. Considering the following options from RRS coupled with the Anvil-30 head:

Ascend-14L (long platform)
Ascend-14L (long with small integrated ballhead)
TFCT-14L
TFCT-24L

I want a setup I can pack and also something I can quickly grab and go from the truck for a quick stalk. Also something I can use with my binoculars and spotter. Do I use the integrated ballhead on the Ascend-14L to glass from and then switch out to the Anvil-30 head to shoot from? Or do I just use the Anvil-30 to shoot and glass from?

I primarily shoot and glass from prone, sitting, and kneeling positions. All rifles are 10 pounds or less.

Any real benefits the TFCT-14L has over the Ascend-14L or vise-versa? Is the extra weight and size of the 24L worth the increased stability over the 14L? Like I said, I want to keep things simple and have a one and done setup.

Any experience with these setups or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Do I use the integrated ballhead on the Ascend-14L to glass from and then switch out to the Anvil-30 head to shoot from? Or do I just use the Anvil-30 to shoot and glass from?

I primarily shoot and glass from prone, sitting, and kneeling positions. All rifles are 10 pounds or less.
I haven't used an ascend but for my TFCT-34L I solved the glassing vs shooting issue by just buying their new PT Scout pan head. It clips into my Anvil and I can then just take it off to shoot from the Anvil.

I personally don’t like the anvils for shooting or glassing. I much prefer a ballhead. I also don’t like center columns. I would get a 14L and BH-30.

Irokcrawl

FNG
The Anvil with binos is not bad. I much prefer the bh55 with panning base if a spotter is going on top. I have the larger 34L version and run a combo of SLC 15 or leica 10x42 pros and a mark 4 on a Gray Ops plate.

I went to a shooting course that used them, I wasn’t a fan of shooting off of a tripod to begin with. The RRS system didn’t change that. It seems like a complicated system to me, my pack is way easier. For glassing I’ll use my monopod.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious in people’s thoughts as well. I have a TFCT 24L which is a great all around tripod I’m considering adding a pt scout. But it is a little large to pack around. I have a larger Two Vets with an Anvil on a platform. I also have a little/light sitting leofoto tripod with a Tricer which is nice to glass seated but not to shoot.

I still feel like I have a gap in my tripod arsenal. I’d like something smaller and lighter that can shoot easily while seated. I’ve found this tripod with a center column but also a platform that can be swapped quickly. Thinking my spare anvil on the platform and use their ballhead for glassing or maybe pull that off the center column and add the Tricer. Anyone have experience with this one?

Also, I have zero complaints with my RRS stuff and appreciate being made in the US but for less than half the cost of an ascend…

Also, I have zero complaints with my RRS stuff and appreciate being made in the US but for less than half the cost of an ascend…
Budgets are a real consideration but it seems in bad taste to openly advertise for a company whose entire business model from its founding has been ripping off RRS intellectual property and avoiding lawsuits by virtue of being a Chinese company.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot off a lesser quality tripod for years, I just want a better quality setup that I can lock the rifle into. I'm already sold on getting the Anvil-30. I'm just trying to determine whether the 14L or 24L tripod will be best for my uses and how to best adapt glassing into the setup and it sounds like the RRS PT-Scout pan head on top of the Anvil-30 might be a great option. Please keep the replies coming. Thanks again.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious in people’s thoughts as well. I have a TFCT 24L which is a great all around tripod I’m considering adding a pt scout. But it is a little large to pack around. I have a larger Two Vets with an Anvil on a platform. I also have a little/light sitting leofoto tripod with a Tricer which is nice to glass seated but not to shoot.

I still feel like I have a gap in my tripod arsenal. I’d like something smaller and lighter that can shoot easily while seated. I’ve found this tripod with a center column but also a platform that can be swapped quickly. Thinking my spare anvil on the platform and use their ballhead for glassing or maybe pull that off the center column and add the Tricer. Anyone have experience with this one?

Wonder how your current Leofoto would compare in size, weight, and stability to a RRS 14L?

I've always heard that other tripod brands can come close to RRS quality for stability but they are not as light.

The 14 series is plenty sturdy and will save you some weight. I just sold my TFC-14 and will be replacing it with the 14L.

I have shot off a lesser quality tripod for years, I just want a better quality setup that I can lock the rifle into. I'm already sold on getting the Anvil-30. I'm just trying to determine whether the 14L or 24L tripod will be best for my uses and how to best adapt glassing into the setup and it sounds like the RRS PT-Scout pan head on top of the Anvil-30 might be a great option. Please keep the replies coming. Thanks again.
I can attest that the PT Scout is very nice and probably the best way to make your Anvil a glassing platform. The fact that the tilt is controlled by the tension of the handle (pan is still controlled by a knob) is pretty cool and I prefer it to my Outdoorsman pan head which has both pan and tilt controlled by knobs.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I can attest that the PT Scout is very nice and probably the best way to make your Anvil a glassing platform. The fact that the tilt is controlled by the tension of the handle (pan is still controlled by a knob) is pretty cool and I prefer it to my Outdoorsman pan head which has both pan and tilt controlled by knobs.
Thanks for the info! I have that same Outdoorsman pan head and those small knobs are a pain in the cold when trying to adjust with gloves on.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Wonder how your current Leofoto would compare in size, weight, and stability to a RRS 14L?

I've always heard that other tripod brands can come close to RRS quality for stability but they are not as light.
Have not handled a 14. Published weights would be about a pound heavier for RRS. But i wouldn’t trust my leofoto to shoot off. For reference it is an LX-224C. Also wouldn’t be tall enough to glass standing.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a RRS TFCT-14L to shoot from and glass from?

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ascend 14L and I use it primarily for glassing but I did pick up an extra column and Anvil 30 to shoot off. So far I love it for glassing with the integrated head but haven’t gotten much time to shoot off it with the anvil.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ascend 14L and I use it primarily for glassing but I did pick up an extra column and Anvil 30 to shoot off. So far I love it for glassing with the integrated head but haven’t gotten much time to shoot off it with the anvil.
Thanks. Good to know. I'm only assuming here, but I'm thinking the TFCT-14L is solid shooting off in all positions other than maybe standing, where it might be a little less stable. I think you can even add a Ascend-14 center column to it for more height if you want... I could be wrong on that.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Good to know. I'm only assuming here, but I'm thinking the TFCT-14L is solid shooting off in all positions other than maybe standing, where it might be a little less stable. I think you can even add a Ascend-14 center column to it for more height if you want... I could be wrong on that.
The Ascend column is scalloped and only fits the Ascend tripods but I believe they do have a round one for their other tripods. I personally like the column as it provided the rapid height change without having to tweak the legs in exchange for some stability loss.

You can also take the Anvil and use a screw with a washer to attach it directly to the apex without a column for the sturdiest possible shooting platform.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
The Ascend column is scalloped and only fits the Ascend tripods but I believe they do have a round one for their other tripods. I personally like the column as it provided the rapid height change without having to tweak the legs in exchange for some stability loss.

You can also take the Anvil and use a screw with a washer to attach it directly to the apex without a column for the sturdiest possible shooting platform.
How quick/easy is it to change between the column and Anvil?

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
How quick/easy is it to change between the column and Anvil?

It takes a minute or so, all you are doing is removing the column, pushing the anvil into the apex then putting the screw with a washer through the bottom of the apex and tightening it with an Allen wrench.

If both are on a column it takes maybe 10 seconds to pull the integrated head out and drop the platform column in. This is the route I went but I’m sure you could rig up some kind of quick connect system for the anvil if you wanted. I planned to but decided I liked the vertical adjustment with the column better.