Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
The Ascend column is scalloped and only fits the Ascend tripods but I believe they do have a round one for their other tripods. I personally like the column as it provided the rapid height change without having to tweak the legs in exchange for some stability loss.

You can also take the Anvil and use a screw with a washer to attach it directly to the apex without a column for the sturdiest possible shooting platform.
I'd imagine shooting off the Anvil mounted on a center column that's extended probably isn't too stable?? Probably wouldn't ever have to do that unless it was a standing shot?? The Ascend 14 with the legs not fully extended to shoot prone or sitting would be my plan I think.

BBob

WKR
I'd imagine shooting off the Anvil mounted on a center column that's extended probably isn't too stable??
I use the Ascend with just the short section of column and it's very stable. The profiled center column is an improvement in stability over the previous round column and collet they used on their lighter tripods. I quit carrying the lower Acsend extension because I didn't use it. Since my main use is for glassing and not shooting a quick height adjustment is very useful to me and I won't go without it.

Check out the Innorel RT90. Such a great tripod and so much less expensive. I think it's the same or better quality than RRS at a fraction of the price. I do have a RRS ball head on top of my Innorel though.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Check out the new inverted tripod they just released. That would be my first choice for what your intentions are.

Rrs is arguably the best tripod on the market. The guys there are equally as awesome. The anvil 30 is often imitated but never duplicated. It is the best ball head for shooting on the market.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are some more pics they sent me of the comparison to the full size 22

a5958f1a40828b5019e5a7102eaf986e.jpeg

df3cc863a462af2a390e662f6013c3f5.jpeg

741bfff70b39a24d2f5a33dd6fcfbe03.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I wish the 22i compact had been designed 3-4” shorter collapsed length. It might not be as flexible for shooting positions, but would be nice for a quick to deploy backpack hunting tripod for glassing and shooting. I’ve got a 24L and it’s very versatile but I end up rarely utilizing the two smaller sections yet carry them everywhere with me.

I might pick one up to see how much the collapsed length bothers me sticking above the top of my pack. I’m also thinking about trying the PT-Scout with a bag on top for shooting rather than glassing and shooting with the Anvil 30 head. Packing both heads is more weight than I’m willing to carry for backpack hunts.

I’m also thinking about trying the PT-Scout with a bag on top for shooting rather than glassing and shooting with the Anvil 30 head. Packing both heads is more weight than I’m willing to carry for backpack hunts.
The PT Scout is extremely light, around 7oz. For the "best of both worlds" it gives for glassing off an Anvil, it's pretty good quality of life improvement for the minimal weight.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
The PT Scout is extremely light, around 7oz. For the "best of both worlds" it gives for glassing off an Anvil, it's pretty good quality of life improvement for the minimal weight.

9.5 oz with the ARC clamp system for the PT-Scout on top of a 4.6lb 24L with Anvil head. I’ve gotta draw the line somewhere or suck it up and hike the weight I guess. It does sound like the optimal setup.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I wish the 22i compact had been designed 3-4” shorter collapsed length. It might not be as flexible for shooting positions, but would be nice for a quick to deploy backpack hunting tripod for glassing and shooting. I’ve got a 24L and it’s very versatile but I end up rarely utilizing the two smaller sections yet carry them everywhere with me.

I might pick one up to see how much the collapsed length bothers me sticking above the top of my pack. I’m also thinking about trying the PT-Scout with a bag on top for shooting rather than glassing and shooting with the Anvil 30 head. Packing both heads is more weight than I’m willing to carry for backpack hunts.

I agree with this. I really like the leg diameter of this tripod and thought that I needed the height of the 24L, but I so rarely actually use it standing. Something that was still easy to throw in a pack and get to a reasonable height to sit and shoot is what I was after. Also the ability to have a center column but quickly remove. I ordered a Leofoto LQ284C as it seemed to be the closest to fit this bill.

inkedspot

FNG
I agree with this. I really like the leg diameter of this tripod and thought that I needed the height of the 24L, but I so rarely actually use it standing. Something that was still easy to throw in a pack and get to a reasonable height to sit and shoot is what I was after. Also the ability to have a center column but quickly remove. I ordered a Leofoto LQ284C as it seemed to be the closest to fit this bill.
The 24 and 14 (standard series 1 not ascend) are perfect height for high kneeling, and sitting. Almost exactly 1# difference in weight between them.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Are you referencing the TFCT or the Ultralight? I did consider the TFCT. Folded length at 22". I liked the idea of being able to swap a column in for glassing. Did consider the PT Scout with it. But ultimately went elsewhere to see if fits the bill and really worth investing in the RRS if it's the size/length I'm after.

inkedspot

FNG
Are you referencing the TFCT or the Ultralight? I did consider the TFCT. Folded length at 22". I liked the idea of being able to swap a column in for glassing. Did consider the PT Scout with it. But ultimately went elsewhere to see if fits the bill and really worth investing in the RRS if it's the size/length I'm after.
Standard TFC-14 and TFC-24 with BH-30 ballheads - I can get you the weights if you need them

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what I think I would happen to me if I got the RRS 24, 33, or 34... I would hardly ever extend the legs more than using the top 2 sections for sitting and kneeling and it would just be added weight.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking that the TFCT-14L would be as stable if not more than the 22i Compact, as long as it was not fully extended and only used when shooting prone, sitting, or kneeling.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking that the TFCT-14L would be as stable if not more than the 22i Compact, as long as it was not fully extended and only used when shooting prone, sitting, or kneeling.
Give the guys at RRS a call if you haven’t already. I had a lot of the same questions they helped me pick out a tripod that did what I needed it to do. They asked me some questions and pointed me in the right direction. I do not regret the purchase.

The 22IC I don’t understand. It seems like they designed it for NRL. Yet it takes longer to deploy. And being 30” stowed it’s not like it’s compact at all. Seems like more of a novelty tripod.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Give the guys at RRS a call if you haven’t already. I had a lot of the same questions they helped me pick out a tripod that did what I needed it to do. They asked me some questions and pointed me in the right direction. I do not regret the purchase.
Just got off the phone with RRS and they recommended the TFCT-24L for best all around option for my shooting and glassing needs BUT if size, weight, and using more while sitting are higher priority for me, they recommended the TFCT-14L over the 24L. Pretty much just reconfirmed exactly where I'm at... the 14L or the 24L?? The main feature I like the 24L over the 14L is that I'll be able to glass with binos and spotter while standing. Other than that, I feel the 14L fits my needs better. Maybe I should just get both and see which I like better... I already know what would happen, I would end up keeping 2 different tripods :)

tdot

WKR
I had the TFC-14 and bh-30 or BPC-16, as the Anvil was a crazy wait at the time. I enjoyed the setup for glassing, but shooting never felt stable, even in the seated position. My plan was to add a 24 or 34 along with the Anvil, but when the Ascend came out I swapped to that instead, as I primarily wanted a stable glassing setup with a center column. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Ascend and now use it for both shooting and glassing. I can easily stand with the setup with bino's, or sit/kneal while shooting. Someone more talented then myself could likely stand and shoot, but I can't. I'm not shooting over 400 yards and I'm using a 8.5lb rifle. Adding the aluminum rock feet to the Ascend really increase it's stability

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I had posted earlier in this thread that adding the PT-Scout was more weight than I wanted to carry on top of my TFCT-24L.

Well, I ordered a PT-Scout with the BTC-PRO clamp just to see what it’s like and can report that it is so good that I’ll happily carry the extra 8oz this year. It turns that tripod onto the perfect do it all system. I am considering in the future downsizing to the 14L legs to save 16oz, but the Anvil 30 with PT-Scout is perfection for shooting off of and glassing with up to a 80mm spotter and maybe even heavier.