Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

Jbuck

FNG
I'll probably be a outlier. I first bought a ascend 14L with the integrated ballhead and returned it. It was light, but that's it. It was not very stable for glassing off of standing, let alone shooting. It was OK for sitting or kneeling, but you can save huge money if that's all you need. I was hoping the extra $1,000 for the RRS would show up when I was standing. It didn't.

I replaced it with a RRS 34L with the anvil 30 and it's night and day better. I also have a old "Nightforce" tripod and it was pretty comparable to the 14L.

I also recently picked up a Vortex Switchback for my kids to use and it's decent, but I think I'll still pack the 34L strapped to my bag. I don't have experience with the 24L as I didn't want to buy it and be disappointed again like I was with the 14L.

parshal

WKR
Here are the 34L, 22i and 22ic at low height.

RRS will tell you the 22 is the most stable tripod they make. That goes for the i and the ic.

I'm keeping the 34L for long glassing sessions standing which I rarely do other than PRS matches or from the truck. I've run the 22i for a full year in NRL Hunter and hunting. I'm replacing it with the 22ic. At full height it's perfect for shooting. Glassing while standing is good but not for long sessions since you have to bend over. I'm 5' 8".

What makes the 22ic perfect is you simply deploy the legs and it's a perfect height for glassing. Kick one leg forward a click and it's perfect for shooting. Many guys will find it perfect height without kicking the leg out. With the 22i I had to kick all three legs out one click. It takes quite a bit longer to get the 22i to the proper standing shooting height since it goes so tall. If you mark the legs you could do it faster but you still have to look at the leg to get it right. With the 22ic you simply pull them out til they stop.

The 22ic is ~4" longer when folded than the 34L which is really inconsequential for the extra stability and quicker deployment. 22ic is also lighter than the 34L by 3/4 lbs.

I have the RRS Scout, too. I've removed the panning knob and replaced it with a set screw so I can preset the pan to the tension I like. I found the knob too easy to move while glassing. With the BTC Pro clamp it weighs 6.4 oz. now. That on top of the Anvil gives me a little higher glassing height and I can take the Scout and binos off with a flip of a lever to quickly attach the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 79

PowPowHawg

Lil-Rokslider
Here are the 34L, 22i and 22ic at low height.

RRS will tell you the 22 is the most stable tripod they make. That goes for the i and the ic.

I'm keeping the 34L for long glassing sessions standing which I rarely do other than PRS matches or from the truck. I've run the 22i for a full year in NRL Hunter and hunting. I'm replacing it with the 22ic. At full height it's perfect for shooting. Glassing while standing is good but not for long sessions since you have to bend over. I'm 5' 8".

What makes the 22ic perfect is you simply deploy the legs and it's a perfect height for glassing. Kick one leg forward a click and it's perfect for shooting. Many guys will find it perfect height without kicking the leg out. With the 22i I had to kick all three legs out one click. It takes quite a bit longer to get the 22i to the proper standing shooting height since it goes so tall. If you mark the legs you could do it faster but you still have to look at the leg to get it right. With the 22ic you simply pull them out til they stop.

The 22ic is ~4" longer when folded than the 34L which is really inconsequential for the extra stability and quicker deployment. 22ic is also lighter than the 34L by 3/4 lbs.

I have the RRS Scout, too. I've removed the panning knob and replaced it with a set screw so I can preset the pan to the tension I like. I found the knob too easy to move while glassing. With the BTC Pro clamp it weighs 6.4 oz. now. That on top of the Anvil gives me a little higher glassing height and I can take the Scout and binos off with a flip of a lever to quickly attach the rifle.
Thank goodness there are others out there with every bit of RRS disease that has grown in me! I agree on everything but Might skip on the 22ic if you’re 6’ or taller like I am and just stick with the 22i. Just picked up my 22i and can‘t believe it took this long to realize its what I’ve been missing for speed of deployment with max shot stability… Currently have the 22i, 34L,24L and Ascend 14L but it and the 24L may be on the chopping block soon…

It takes a minute or so, all you are doing is removing the column, pushing the anvil into the apex then putting the screw with a washer through the bottom of the apex and tightening it with an Allen wrench.

If both are on a column it takes maybe 10 seconds to pull the integrated head out and drop the platform column in. This is the route I went but I’m sure you could rig up some kind of quick connect system for the anvil if you wanted. I planned to but decided I liked the vertical adjustment with the column better.
It takes a minute or so, all you are doing is removing the column, pushing the anvil into the apex then putting the screw with a washer through the bottom of the apex and tightening it with an Allen wrench.

If both are on a column it takes maybe 10 seconds to pull the integrated head out and drop the platform column in. This is the route I went but I’m sure you could rig up some kind of quick connect system for the anvil if you wanted. I planned to but decided I liked the vertical adjustment with the column better.
I just got my ascend 14 platform and my Anvil 30 Arc, I just don’t know how to attach the Anvil without the column on the ascend, seems like I need to get an adapter or a screw or something. Please advise

I just got my ascend 14 platform and my Anvil 30 Arc, I just don’t know how to attach the Anvil without the column on the ascend, seems like I need to get an adapter or a screw or something. Please advise

BBob

WKR
Nothing additional needed. Pull the column out and you should see the tapered seat in the trunion. Put the Anvil tapered base into the seat. Put the washer and bolt in from the bottom of the trunion and tighten. That’s it.

I don’t see any bolt and washer, I pulled out the column and the Anvil head fits exactly in that same hole but I don’t see the bolt and washer, where should it be?

BBob

WKR
I don’t see any bolt and washer, I pulled out the column and the Anvil head fits exactly in that same hole but I don’t see the bolt and washer, where should it be?
It should have come with the head. Check the box and packaging? The bottom of the tapered spud is threaded. If you didn’t get the bolt and washer get RRS to send them to you.

You could also just go to the hardware store and get what you need. They are nothing special. Just a stainless cap screw and washer.

IMG_2463.jpeg

Last edited:

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider

Looks like BBob got you an answer before I got back, as he said it’s just a stainless cap screw and washer and I picked up mine from the local hardware store. Below is the info sent to me by RRS.

Here are the two sizes you can find at a hardware store, or close to it:
3/8" 18-8 Stainless Steel Washer .406 ID, .875 OD
3/8-16 x .75" Button Head 18-8

Looks like BBob got you an answer before I got back, as he said it’s just a stainless cap screw and washer and I picked up mine from the local hardware store. Below is the info sent to me by RRS.

Thanks for the help, I went to Home Depot and Ace Hardware and both stores were out of them so I had to go to Amazon and found them.

My other question, do you shoot of the center column? I have the ascend 14 that seems short for me (I’m 6’1”) it is perfect for seating position or prone without the center column but not for standing.

Please advise. Thank you

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help, I went to Home Depot and Ace Hardware and both stores were out of them so I had to go to Amazon and found them.

My other question, do you shoot of the center column? I have the ascend 14 that seems short for me (I’m 6’1”) it is perfect for seating position or prone without the center column but not for standing.

Please advise. Thank you

I’m 5’ 10” and I have the 14L so that I can run it all the way up without having to extend the column while shooting. That being said you can shoot off the extended column but it will be less stable than mounting it directly to the apex. I typically would use that for closer shots where a quick adjustment is needed and you can live with the reduced precision.

I found the bolt and washer in Amazon and I installed it and works perfect, now my issue is I can’t take the head off to install the center column again, the head got like stuck in it… any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 19

BBob

WKR
I found the bolt and washer in Amazon and I installed it and works perfect, now my issue is I can’t take the head off to install the center column again, the head got like stuck in it… any ideas?
It’s a taper. Loosen the screw a little then give it a tap. That should pop the taper loose. Then pull the screw and then pull the head. You don’t have to tighten the screw too tight when attaching the head.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of the 22i, but not sure it would be good for hunting.

I am 5'11" and am considering the TFCT-33. One less leg to deal with feels beneficial.