Fall black bear tactics

Myself and a buddy are already looking out to next fall for planning our next hunt. I live in eastern montana and have never bear hunted so we are considering a DIY black bear hunt in the northwestern part of the state. Tags are reasonable for a non resident and my buddy can buy them OTC so its guaranteed. My question is neither of us have ever hu ted bears. It would be in the fall. What tactics are productive that time of year. I have a boat that is capable for both shallow river/creeks as well as the lake in moderate weather. Is glassing from a boat productive? All around any advice would be appreciated!

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Find berries up high and glass. We usually see a ton of them in the middle of sept.

Berries are still ripe, it’s cooling off a bit, and they’re looking to pack on the pounds, so they’re out all day.

OP
Buschlatte
Is glassing from a boat useful? We are looking at the lake koocanusa area and are thinking about taking the boat with. Are they often found near lakes? Or is food primarily the name of the game.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I've found them swimming across lake koocanusa before I used to live in eureka. There are lots of bears up there. West kootenai area is good as well. Pretty much anywhere up there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk