Fat Guy's

KBC

WKR
Some great stories/advice here. I was 256 lbs on March 4th this year. I'm now in the mid 190s give or take a pound or two depending on time of day. All I did was change my diet and be slightly more active. My job is fairly active but I don't really work out much so I still have work to do.

My diet now is all the meat and veggies I want, emphasis on the veggies. Seriously, if you eat some meat and a big plate of vegetables and you are still hungry, just eat more veggies until you are satisfied. No sugar or carbs. I cut out dairy at the same time. I was starting to think I might have IBS but it was probably the dairy. I think I lost a belt notch just from not being so "inflated".

Edit; One other thought, I laugh at the weight weenies now that I've lost about 60 lbs. I can have a pretty heavy pack and still be walking around at my former body weight which makes me care a lot less about what stuff weighs.

OP
B
You guy's kick ass. I'm one week in of clean eating no beer and i'm feeling good. Thank's for the motivation.

I used to weigh 299.8 on a 300lb capacity scale. Now I fluctuate between 245-250 once I'm back on my feet I'd like to get down to 225-230. At 245 I can run sub 2:30 half miles, 6:40 miles and deadlift over 600 lbs. For me heavy crossfit, tabata, kettlebell etc. and 100 g carbs 15g sugar 1g protein per pound of body weight if I can do it anyone can.

Anyone care to share a weekly example of what they changed their diet to? I have a hard time finding things toneat that isn't the same thing over and over again...

I’ll jump in here, been doing the same as most above and working on a healthy diet. As far as meals go I started following “HealthySelf Reset” (google it) meals, those led me to similar plans, and overtime it became less about recipes and plans and just learned a new way of cooking and eating. Cholesterol was my red flag that got me started more than weight, but can’t argue with more energy and feeling better too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KBC

WKR
My meals are a bit more repetitive unfortunately but I have some pretty severe food allergies as well so I am a little more used to a restrictive diet.

Here's an example of things I eat;
Breakfast around 9:00 am on weekdays is usually a chunk of cucumber, some carrots, a nice chunk of sausage or deli meats and a banana. Sometimes I add an avocado but there's always enough to make me feel satisfied. Weekends I will make bacon, sausages and slice up a tomato or two. Eggs are unfortunately something I can't eat but you could have eggs with that as well.

Lunch is usually leftovers from the previous night's dinner or a big salad with lots of meat and homemade dressing. When I say a big salad it means all the veggies you might think to put in a salad so there is a lot of variety there at least.

Dinner is meat, I'm a still a shitty hunter and allergic to seafood so I rotate through chicken, beef and pork. We eat more pork because it's much tastier than chicken and much cheaper than beef. Probably grill 2/3 of the time and try and make my own rubs so there isn't as much salt or sugar that you might find in commercial stuff.

I eat a lot of steamed veggies like cauliflower or broccoli but it's usually covered in hot sauce, my homemade salad dressing or if I make spaghetti sauce I use steamed veggies instead of noodles.

One thing I've noticed is that the stuff full of carbs and sugar is usually just filler. A lot of times you can make the same meal like say a nice stew and instead of putting potatoes in, just increase the amount of things like carrots or onions etc.

Through the week I try not to eat anything after dinner until breakfast the next morning. I'm going to start working out before work on some weekdays though so I will have to eat earlier in the day instead of my usual 9:00 am coffee break at work.

Sauteed cabbage has become one of my favourite foods. Some olive oil and steak spice, cook at medium until a lot of it is soft but there are still some crunchy bits. turn down the heat and put a bunch of crushed garlic in and let it go for a few minutes more.

My favourite salad dressing 1/4 to 1/2 cup equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar, squirt in some dijon mustard, some pepper and a clove of crushed garlic and put it in a magic bullet until it's a consistency you like. It can get pretty thick if you leave it on too long though.

I don't do cheat meals or cheat days but I still drink beers on the weekend. I have had the odd burger on a bun but usually I get a burger lettuce wrapped if possible if I'm out somewhere. I've found it easier to just eat the good foods out of the stuff I'm allowing myself to eat instead of making fake stuff like cauliflower pizza crust.

Don't be like those crazy vegans and make fake meat, just eat real food that's good.

bsnedeker

WKR
My diet tends to be pretty repetitive also with the exception of dinner where my wife mixes it up quite a bit.

I recommend you just track your calories. Set a daily goal for your intake and track everything that goes in your pie hole. I'm still trying to lose another 10 pounds so I'm keeping things to around 1500 calories per day and I workout 3 to 4 days per week for 90 minutes. I don't worry at all about carbs, I just eat as little processed food as I can. Lots of fruit and veggies and lean meat. I'm fortunate to be able to fill my freezer with whitetail every year so that is the bulk of my protein, wife mixes in some salmon once a week or so.

Doing this I'm losing 1-2 pounds per week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Anyone care to share a weekly example of what they changed their diet to? I have a hard time finding things toneat that isn't the same thing over and over again...
I eat a lot of the same stuff.

Breakfast is usually 2 eggs. Sometimes I'll add some other meat if it is in the fridge. Sometimes I'll add veggies to eggs. No butter or oil.

Lunch is often leftover protein from the night before. If not, it could be a frozen lean cuisine, lunch meat, cheese, etc. Limited carbs. I never get burritos anymore and rarely get sandwiches.

Dinner is a main protein source. Steak (wild or store bought), chicken, ground meat or fish. A serving of starch. Big serving of veggies. Salad with varying vegetables.

Daily Snacks. Yogurt for good bacteria, cottage cheese, string cheese, mandarin orange, banana, beef jerky, celery, carrots, sugar snaps, asparagus, radish. All veggies are raw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Chicken of the sea makes a foil packed salmon, 2.5oz, that makes a great snack or meal (2-4 packs). It comes in a few different flavor added options, I like the barbecue. Foil packaged tuna....open package and add some barbecue sauce is also a good option for snack/meal. I keep both of those in all the vehicles and the salmon in the hunting/hiking packs along with a small fork. The foil tuna is a lot less water logged than canned and the salmon really has a good taste to it.

ymmv.

Last edited:

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the extra motivation guys. That’s why I read these forums daily. I pick up some new food ideas as well as changing up my excercise plans

For breakfast I eat some combination of this. 6 pieces bacon, or 3-6 pieces turkey links. 1/4 cup oatmeal in a low sugar chocolate protein shake.
Lunch: whatever is left from dinner, we make big portions for dinner to have leftovers, so lunch and dinner are redundant. Salad with cucumber, tomatoes, balsamic dressing. Whatever protein venison, beef, chicken, turkey fish etc and green beans or broccoli with two tablespoons of humus. Snacks, after workout 1 cup almondmilk with a low sugar protein shake I like chocolate flavor but I buy whats cheap and has little sugar.
General snacks 1/4 full fat cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop protein powder 1 tbsp peanut butter, dash of almond milk mixed up. Two tbsp peanut butter with spray whip cream. Lettuce wrap 3 slices salami, 2 cheese sticks. Broccoli, tuna fish, 1 tbsp ranch and garlic salt. Download myfitnesspal and start tracking your macros, I weigh 245-250 and shoot for 200-250 g protein, less than 100g carbs and less than 15 g sugar. Adjust accordingly to your body weight. I love to eat that's part of why I was fat and I can sustain really tough, heavy crossfit type workouts on 2500-2700 calories a day, and feel full. If you follow those macros your calories will drop cuz you can't eat as much green veggies as you can bread and other junk. sometimes the day before a tough leg or cardio workout I'll eat 1/2 cup rice, and I generally cheap for 6 hours on Saturday. I weighed 299.8 in July 2015, after 10 days of this and working out I was 288, by the next March I was 255. I've always worked out even when I was fat, but I wasn't intense, now everything is tabata, or circuits. when you start your diet if you feel like you can be satisfied with 2700 calories I'd eat 3000 you'll still lose weight and it gives you an out, when you plateau and you will. Meal prep is your friend, it's tough to eat like this on the go.

FNG here, never posted before, but found this thread and it hits close to home! getting in shape for first mountain hunt in 2020- and more importantly so I don't meet my maker too quickly. 50th birthday coming up next month, so I schedule a hunt to motivate me to get in shape. Anyway, thought I'd share what's worked for me (so far). Oct 1 weighed in at 260, with a 45.5 inch gut (that's embarrassing) measured around the belly button. Yesterday weighed in at 237, with a 39.5 around the belly. goal is 225 at 37-38inch.
A doc friend of mine suggested a website called "barbellmedicine.com" it's a business started by a doc that's a powerlifter. Lots of good information there- nutrition, training, weight loss etc. So I started following their program- tracking macros and weightlifting according to their recommended program template. Basically powerlifting lifts, good old squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press- and variants of these lifts- three days a week. Cardio work on C2, bike, or elliptical three days a week. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

bsnedeker

WKR
goal is 225 at 37-38inch.

I'm just curious on everyone's thought process on goals. I started out at 240 and I thought to myself, hey, if I can get down to 200 I'll be good to go! Well, I hit 200 and still had WAY too much pudge for my liking. I'm now down to 170 and I STILL have a little gut that I'm trying to get rid of. I'm 6'2" and I kind of assumed that I had SOME muscle mass under all my insulation, but it turns out not so much! I'm guessing I still have another 10-15 pounds to go before I'm down to a lean weight. I have started doing some weight training so I would imagine I'll bulk up a little bit, but at 41 I don't expect to see tons of GAINS BRO!

I see a lot of guys on this thread saying their goal is to weigh over 200 pounds and I'd like to know what you are basing this on. Were you fit and well-muscled at one point so you know that is a good weight for you? I'm struggling with figuring out when good is good enough, but all I really have to go on is how much fat I have around my midsection so I'd appreciate any thoughts you all had.

Great questions , honestly I don't know where it will end up, my goal is an estimate on my part. I think that's individual thing, and maybe i'll end up having to get leaner. My situation is that I played football in college and have always been a bigger framed guy- graduated college at 268 (but was in really good shape compared to now). I'm going to rely on bodyfat % as calculated by the US Navy body fat calculator - google it and several websites will come up. gives bodyfat based on ht, wt, neck, and waist circumberence (around the belly button area). my understanding is that this is fairly accurate- within +/- 3%. so that's what I based the 225- 37-38 on. that would get me to around 16-18% bf, and that's good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

don't sell yourself short on the GAINzzz! I'm 8 years older than you, and I've gained a ton of strength in the past 3 months. I think the key has been to hit my protein macros, and I haven't missed a workout in three months. Also have pushed myself to slowly increase weight on a weekly basis. I think you'd be surprised at your ability to get stronger - especially if you haven't really trained hard before.

bsnedeker

WKR
Wow, thanks for telling me about that calculator, that is awesome! That neck measurement factor makes a ton of sense to me.

And I do get what your saying about building strength, I've already seen some improvements there. I guess my assumption was that I would making my muscles more efficient with weight training, but that I wouldn't be adding a lot of muscle mass at my age. But honestly, I have NEVER done any kind of training in my life before this so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
Similar situation. Current situation 225lbs, 5'8". I have fluctuated from a lean 175 up to 200 before I graduated college and settled into a career where I spend most of my time either behind a screen or a windshield and work 60-65 hours per week. I topped out around 240 about 6 months ago and decided I needed to change the direction that the scale was moving. Started to pay attention to my diet, no alcohol during the week, exercise 4 days per week and try to do something active on the weekend. My goal is to get back to 175 and gain a few notches back on the ol' belt and get to use the bottom half of the stack of jeans in my closet again. I'm sure this has been posted before but it's the best piece of reading for me when I begin to lose my way, Lindenman tells it like it is.

Dieting for Fat Loss By Larry Lindenman | RealDefense

Reading all of these posts has renewed my motivation so cheers to you all!

just read that link, thanks for sharing. Spot on, calories in vs calories out. it's that simple. I've found I have to track them - I use myfitness pal, i found that i was terrible at estimating. my simple approach is that i make sure i get 240 grams of protein a day, then make up the left over calories with whatever. also found that when i quit the beer, the pounds really started coming off.

dutch84

FNG
Jumpin in. I am in the same boat and from reading through this forum and others, it is great motivation to get started!

Zoomfish

Lil-Rokslider
Kudos to all for the progress on steps in right direction! 5 months now sauce free and down @30# without a work out. Shows how many empty calories in that stuff. Feels great, gotta be a combo of weight off and the daily 1/2 handle of vodka not throbbing in my head! Almost broke 200 mark and be first time since boot camp over 21yrs ago.

The big 40 is here in 2 months and next goal is to turn in my US National Copenhagen Dipping Team badge. Somewhat intimidated by this one!

Thanks for the moto juice! Keep charging up that hill...big bulls on the other side!!!

Chew is tough. Ditched it a few years ago when I saw how receded my gums were. Had to have a gum graft a bit later. Its l good now, but I worry about mouth cancer rearing its head down the road.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk