Favorite Bourbon Opinions

I’ll drink pretty much any bourbon. Old forester has always been on the shelf if I want mix it with sprite. Otherwise makers mark, woodfords, Elijah Craig, blantons, eagle rare, etc. I’ve had most that are available in abc stores. Ironically the basil Hayden has been one I just didn’t care for. May have been the bottle we got, I don’t know. All I know is three people that tried it and all said the same thing without any input from me.

On family vacations, my brothers and dad would all go and buy an expensive bourbon to try. I agree with Kevin about the blind taste test thing. If you can’t tell the difference without looking at the bottle, it’s hard for me justify spending over $40-60 on a bottle.

George Dickel for cheap and Bulleit for fancy, unless someone else is buying

When space is valuable, I like:
Maker Mark Cask Strength (110 proof)
Knob Creek (100 proof)

Buying Tip - weird as it may be, Whole Foods has silly cheap deals on Makers Mark (regular) and Knob Creek, with Knob Creek in high $20's and Makers in low $20's, about 20-30% less than the local Safeway or other big supermarkets.

FYI - I have it on very good authority that Pappy's, Buffalo Trace and Willits are from the EXACT same batch, just with different levels of age and barrel choices.

You should slap your source since BT and Willets (I assume pot still) are not wheated mash bills. Pappy is.

Eagle rare: wall tent + horses. Shoulder mounts galore.

Buffalo Trace: truck campers. Economy gear. Budget conscious yet highly motivated. Mystery Ranch kinda guy. Euro mount.

Wild Turkey: true grit, backpack hunters.

Knob Creek: occasional spike camp, but really truck campers with nice bivy gear.

Makers Mark: Sitka gear head to toe including the backpack. Swears that Mountain House tastes great in the backcountry.

Blanton’s: Boutique brand gear snobs. Lots of Cuben Fiber. Frame and pack are 2 different brands. Hammock because they can’t lower themselves to sleep on the ground.

Woodford Reserve: I also play golf. In fact, if I had to chose, it would be golf. If you ask my opinion on gear, it will include the phrase “hands down”

Four Roses: wife doesn’t let you hunt near enough. you have a secret PayPal account. Definitely prefer solids over camo. Wears PFG shirts casually.

LOL... Funny, but only because I drink a lot of Turkey...

BT and Woodford, like many, are my go to.

Some others that are tasty that haven’t been mentioned: Kentucky Owl straight rye (although overpriced) and A Midwinters Night Dram.

Anyone think Whistle Pig is worth the price of admission? I’ve never had it, but I’m curious. I think it’s about $100 a fifth around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone think Whistle Pig is worth the price of admission? I’ve never had it, but I’m curious. I think it’s about $100 a fifth around here.

If you're referring to the standard 10 year, I'd say no. Much better rye options for less than that price point in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wife bought me their Farmstock Rye for Christmas. It was excellent. I don't generally spend that much myself but, I think it's worth it.

Well guys all the hype on Eagle Rare I had to grab a bottle for the collection today. Well see what impression it leaves. Paid $35 at my usually cheaper liquor store.
b6b9515ea18809dd95e322a2c96d6709.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well guys all the hype on Eagle Rare I had to grab a bottle for the collection today. Well see what impression it leaves. Paid $35 at my usually cheaper liquor store.
b6b9515ea18809dd95e322a2c96d6709.jpg

I like Eagle Rare but it's a bit smooth for my taste. I like a little more hair in my bourbon.

Blanton's is far and away my favorite, but also the most difficult to find. Eagle Rare 10 Year is very good and 17 year is truly a step above. Lots of other good Bourbons listed that I won't repeat, but a few others to consider:

Black Saddle - ~$45
Stranhan's Black Diamond (Whiskey, not Bourbon and excellent IMHO). Their standard Yellow label is lousy (IMHO), but Black Diamond is really good but pricey at ~$70
Angels Envy - $55
Jameson Black Barrel (Irish Whiskey) but I really like it for $40
David Nicholson 1843 - $28
OMFM (Mississippi Floated Whiskey) - $30
Legent - $40

Now if only I could use my FSA $'s for "medical supplies" from the list above. :)

Picked up some Evan Williams Vintage; little under 30 bucks. It's just ok. Smells great, lacking on any distinct flavors, harsh on the finish. Works fine for an old fashioned.

Had the wife set me up a blind taste test of 3 whiskeys I really like and the eagle rare I picked up today. I ranked them Woodford double oaked, eagle rare, weller green, buffalo trace. All are great bourbon though. For around 30 bucks eagle rare definitely punches above it's weight class. Like BT but woodier and smoother. I'd have a pour of any of them any day

High West American Prarie bourbon is an enjoyable bottle for any kind of drinking at $35. Finds its way into a lot of glasses around here.

Other than it, I have worked through a few bottles of old forester this year in the 100-115 proof range that were good. 1897 bottled in bond and the 1920 prohibition style. A bit of marketing at play, but they both found a spot with me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back