Favorite Caliber (s)

Eric_F

FNG
6.5 Grendel and 284 Winchester. I'm a sucker for the short/fat, efficient cases, and the Grendel has been perfect for whitetail.PXL_20210126_042916508.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get rid of the "better half" who thinks it's her job to place an arbitrary number on the number of rifles I can keep. If I decided for some reason to have only two rifles, it would be a 7mm-08 and a .338WM or a .375 H&H depending on recoil tolerance.
I'm surprised that it took 17 posts to address that issue.

7-08 and a 338

k80Titus, You haven't told us. Has the woman of the house revealed yet, which two you're allowed to keep?

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Since you used African game in your example, one has to comply with the law over there. That locks you in to 9.3mm or .375 as a minimum for some species depending on country.

A .300 magnum for one rifle. Don't really care which one.

.375 H&H or .375 Ruger for the other. Could bump up to a .416 Remington, or Ruger as well.

Jeremy

You have shot a lot, tested many, come to firm conclusions and are thinning out your gun herd to two only because your better half said so.
When it is all said and done what two rifles would you build? What two calibers would you choose? Is there one that you feel does both well?

CXP2 class game are generally light framed animals with relatively thin skin and light muscles and bones. These are primarily deer, antelope, sheep, goats and black bear. They typically range from about 51 pounds to perhaps 300 pounds.

CXP3 class game are large framed, heavy animals with tough skin, heavy muscle tissue and large bones. Would guess that these animals range from 301 to over 1000 pounds, and would be represented by such game as alg, elk, moose, zebra, kudu, eland, and brown bear.

Fitting your criteria, and just going off what I currently have in the safe, I’d pick the Kimber Adirondack in .308 (for all mountain hunts), and Winchester Stainless Classic CRF in .375 H&H Mag. (just because it’s killed a pile of big game animals and has a bit of sentimental value for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCS
OP
K

k80Titus

FNG
I'm surprised that it took 17 posts to address that issue.

7-08 and a 338

k80Titus, You haven't told us. Has the woman of the house revealed yet, which two you're allowed to keep?
LOL.My wife does not care. Except if kept them out of the man cave.

I put this in here to try to refine the answer of which 2 calibers do you really like the best. I also know my own OCD and once I start...... I have 2 krieghoffs shotguns, a light and a heavy, for sporting clay. For those I have 4 stocks and 5 forends. I have 4 o/u, 3 semis and 2 sxs, That is only in one gauge.

Rifles there are so many calibers, many overlap, so in looking at it I thought Hmm, Maybe a light and a heavy as defined by game. Maybe by bullet weight, efficiency, MPBR, availability, all around prowess. etc

Plus you have all the new ones. 6.8 w, 300 prc that sound amazing.

LOL.My wife does not care. Except if kept them out of the man cave.

I put this in here to try to refine the answer of which 2 calibers do you really like the best. I also know my own OCD and once I start...... I have 2 krieghoffs shotguns, a light and a heavy, for sporting clay. For those I have 4 stocks and 5 forends. I have 4 o/u, 3 semis and 2 sxs, That is only in one gauge.

Rifles there are so many calibers, many overlap, so in looking at it I thought Hmm, Maybe a light and a heavy as defined by game. Maybe by bullet weight, efficiency, MPBR, availability, all around prowess. etc

Plus you have all the new ones. 6.8 w, 300 prc that sound amazing.
Glad you didn't take my wiseass crack to heart. Very cool!
✌️

OP
K

k80Titus

FNG
Since you used African game in your example, one has to comply with the law over there. That locks you in to 9.3mm or .375 as a minimum for some species depending on country.

A .300 magnum for one rifle. Don't really care which one.

.375 H&H or .375 Ruger for the other. Could bump up to a .416 Remington, or Ruger as well.

Jeremy
Heard. But I thought 375 hh was min for dangerous game, depending on country.

Wapiti1

WKR
Heard. But I thought 375 hh was min for dangerous game, depending on country.
Some countries set it at 9.3mm or .366 to grandfather the 9.3X62 in. Others set it at .375, others have nothing, and a couple do it by energy level.

The .375 H&H or Ruger works in all of them.

Jeremy

Motown

WKR
For me it has become the 6.5 Creed and 280 Rem, but If I was stuck with factory ammo only I would probably choose differently. Hand loading both of these calibers with Reloader 26 really makes them both shine. I can push the Creed to just under PRC velocities, and the 280 Rem to just about 280ai velocities as well.

Flyjunky

WKR
Easy choice in calibers for me....264 and .308. Now, if you want to talk only two cartridges, well that gets a little tougher...

At least a few people on this thread know the difference between a caliber and cartridge. It's really amazing how many hunters don't know the difference.

I hear people in sporting goods stores who go up to the counter and say, "I'd like a box of '06 bullets", when they actually want cartridges.

7 WSM and 300 Win mag or 338. The 7 short with a 195 Berger vld hunter is the fastest, flattest, and deadliest setup I’ve ever seen for being a mid weight caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda floored to see so many "odd balls" in this list. I didn't really think the 280/280AI was THAT popular. And I didn't think that many SAUMs were floating around.

6.5 Creed and 300 Win Mag for me.

Reduced to just one, it would be toss up 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. With the 338 being my All Time love affair cartridge, however I realize the 300 WM prolly a better all around, International, Find Ammo Anywhere chambering.

OP
K

k80Titus

FNG
For me it has become the 6.5 Creed and 280 Rem, but If I was stuck with factory ammo only I would probably choose differently. Hand loading both of these calibers with Reloader 26 really makes them both shine. I can push the Creed to just under PRC velocities, and the 280 Rem to just about 280ai velocities as well.
and in Factory
Kinda floored to see so many "odd balls" in this list. I didn't really think the 280/280AI was THAT popular. And I didn't think that many SAUMs were floating around.

6.5 Creed and 300 Win Mag for me.

Reduced to just one, it would be toss up 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. With the 338 being my All Time love affair cartridge, however I realize the 300 WM prolly a better all around, International, Find Ammo Anywhere chambering.
Leaning that way for same reasons.