Critique My First Rifle Build

Hello All,

First, want to say how appreciative I am of all the information on here. Been reading for the last month or two and it's really incredible how much one can learn about optics, firearm calibers, etc., just from information shared on this forum. So, huge thank you to Rokslide!

This will be my first rifle. I am still pretty new to hunting (I have harvested an animal, so not completely new) and so far have gotten away with shooting my neighbor's or my brother-in-law's rifles. However, as I find myself getting more into hunting and wanting to get out more regularly, the time has come for my own. Trying to prioritize versatility and shootability, while balancing quality vs. price considerations.

I really like the Sako S20 Hunter, which in 6.5 PRC runs on Eurooptic for $1k. Hard to beat at that price for what you get. Also, my family has a history of hearing loss, so I will be running suppressed. I will very likely chop the barrel from 24 to 20 once the suppressor arrives.

We live in Georgia, so 6.5 PRC is admittedly a bit overkill for what I need here (whitetail and hogs, maybe a black bear, at close ranges). Realistically, shots beyond 150ish yards are pretty rare in the southeast, as y'all know. However, reasons for 6.5 PRC are as follows: (1) I am shortening the barrel; (2) I would like to get out west periodically, I grew up in Oregon and briefly lived in Montana in my mid-20s (pre-wife and kids); (3) the scope I am looking at has limitations for longer ranges, and the prc bullet helps mitigate that for any western hunting I might do.

Which brings us to optics (big thanks to Formidilosus, definitely changed my outlook). I am leaning toward a Trijicon 3-9x40, with a green dot mil reticle. Mil reticle for holds, as there is really no need to dial in the southeast as far as I can tell. Plan to eventually put a custom elevation turret on it for dialing at any longer ranges (300+, max range probably 500 yards), which would be for periodic western hunting. In summary: holds for home hunting, custom turret to dial for western trips.

This scope is also very light, and the Sako S20 is 8.25 pounds (plus I will have a suppressor on it). While you're not backcountry hunting in the south, I do really enjoy still hunting, and I'd rather not lug a 12 pound rifle through the woods. Also, again, for western trips would be nice to keep the weight at 10 pounds or less.

If I want a true mountain rifle (and I might one day), I'll buy another one more suited to the task. I want this one to be "good enough" to take out west if/when the need arises, but be easy to shoot at home in Georgia, but at the range and in the field.

So there it is: Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC, 20 in. barrel with suppressor (likely a diligent defense or Otter Creek Labs S-ti), Trijicon 3-9x40 green dot mil reticle scope. Mostly close range southeast hunting with ability to shoot to 500 yards on western trips.

Fire away. And thanks!

OP
W
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40. Sorry, first post didn't specify which Trijicon.

Nothing wrong with your plan, but I'd skip the custom turret and find a ballistic calculator that works well for your needs.

OP
W
Nothing wrong with your plan, but I'd skip the custom turret and find a ballistic calculator that works well for your needs.
Curious why you say that? Just more flexibility for different environmental conditions?

My biggest issue with the Trijicon Accupoint with the mil dot reticle is that the clicks on the elevation turret are MOA. So switching from mils when holding to MOA when dialing seems like a pain. With the custom turret you don't have to switch your brain over, just count clicks. That said, I have no experience actually using them.

Curious why you say that? Just more flexibility for different environmental conditions?

My biggest issue with the Trijicon Accupoint with the mil dot reticle is that the clicks on the elevation turret are MOA. So switching from mils when holding to MOA when dialing seems like a pain. With the custom turret you don't have to switch your brain over, just count clicks. That said, I have no experience actually using them.
You don’t need a custom turret to dial. And depending on environmental conditions in GA and where you end up out west, the turret may not even be accurate so you will end up dialing a different yardage than what the turret is marked.

You are correct about a mil/MOA scope. Find a mil/mil or MOA/MOA scope so you are not having to do math in the field to convert from MOA/mil

atmat

WKR
I think a creedmoor would fit your use case better than PRC and agree with skipping custom turrets or mil/MOA scopes. Otherwise see no flies in your plan.
Echo this. A 6.5cm is more fun to shoot (and sometimes better ammo availability) than 6.5prc.

OP
W
Echo this. A 6.5cm is more fun to shoot (and sometimes better ammo availability) than 6.5prc.
Thanks. 6.5cm is definitely a consideration, been looking at that caliber as well. Ammo availability/price certainly looks better.

OP
W
I think a creedmoor would fit your use case better than PRC and agree with skipping custom turrets or mil/MOA scopes. Otherwise see no flies in your plan.
Awesome, thank you. Would you recommend a different scope entirely, or just a different reticle?

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
On the s20 you cannot cut off 4" unless you cut into the flutes. You can for sure cut 1-1.5" off no problem, though

Reactions: 9.1
OP
W
You don’t need a custom turret to dial. And depending on environmental conditions in GA and where you end up out west, the turret may not even be accurate so you will end up dialing a different yardage than what the turret is marked.

You are correct about a mil/MOA scope. Find a mil/mil or MOA/MOA scope so you are not having to do math in the field to convert from MOA/mil
Don't think I'd ever dial in GA, just hold (which is what drew me to the mil reticle). So I would set the turret to environmental conditions for western hunting. But to your point, I don't know exactly what those conditions will be. The west is a big place with a lot of different elevations and terrain.

Thanks, definitely some good points to consider.

Don't think I'd ever dial in GA, just hold (which is what drew me to the mil reticle). So I would set the turret to environmental conditions for western hunting. But to your point, I don't know exactly what those conditions will be. The west is a big place with a lot of different elevations and terrain.

Thanks, definitely some good points to consider.
Food for thought - dialing allows you to hold center of your reticle instead of counting ticks or bubbles. For my brain I prefer that especially around 300 and beyond. Now that’s pretty irrelevant if you don’t foresee shooting much over 200 yards. Obviously you have to find what works for you. Same for scopes. Find one with features you like or think you will like, make sure it’s mil/mil and get to shooting. This being your first rifle you will learn what works for you and what doesn’t and then tweak your gear moving forward. Good luck and enjoy the process

OP
W
On the s20 you cannot cut off 4" unless you cut into the flutes. You can for sure cut 1-1.5" off no problem, though
My understanding (from reading this forum) is that this isn't a huge deal. Threading won't be standard 5/8x24 on the shortened barrel, but I can just run an adapter. I could certainly be off base here.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Just a question, where are you getting your custom turrets from? I have a bunch of 3-9 credos that might be nice to put a locking turret on

atmat

WKR
My understanding (from reading this forum) is that this isn't a huge deal. Threading won't be standard 5/8x24 on the shortened barrel, but I can just run an adapter. I could certainly be off base here.
You’re not off base at all.

OP
W
Just a question, where are you getting your custom turrets from? I have a bunch of 3-9 credos that might be nice to put a locking turret on.
I know Kenton Industries makes them. If I end up doing it, won't be something I do for a while. I have no need to dial for my local hunting. and after getting feedback on this thread, I might wait to do it once I have a specific hunt planned west, as I would then know more about the conditions of the area.