Favorite Daypack

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new day pack, seeing what recommendations everyone has and pros/cons of what y’all are currently using. Been using El Cheapos and I’ve gone through 3 in 2 years, none of which were comfortable.

Ideal daypack for me should be able to carry bibs, coat, 1/2 gallon water, couple snacks, flashlight, rain jacket, couple knives, tree stand harness.

If I had to guess, I’d say per year it’ll be used the following way:

- 20 days whitetail tree stand hunting
- 15 days hiking/fishing in the mountains
- 5 days turkey hunting
- 2-3 days grouse/quail

Probably walk 2-3 miles total per day whitetail hunting, 5-14 on everything else.

Couldn’t care less about brand or color. Don’t care if it’s marketed for hunting or not.

Top deciding factors are comfort, durability, proper size for daypack. Don’t need it to be water proof or capable of carrying a rifle.

Totally a proponent of the cry once buy once philosophy, but if the best backup you’ve ever used is $10 I’m all about that.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd vote Kifaru Minikeg. If you go to the backpack section there are literally hundreds of threads on daypacks. Good luck on your search.

My favorite is my Kifaru timberline 2 because it’s the one I have. 😂 next pack will either be another Kifaru or a Stone Glacier. Mine is so old it has the internal frame and no meat shelf.

Looking for a new day pack, seeing what recommendations everyone has and pros/cons of what y’all are currently using. Been using El Cheapos and I’ve gone through 3 in 2 years, none of which were comfortable.

Ideal daypack for me should be able to carry bibs, coat, 1/2 gallon water, couple snacks, flashlight, rain jacket, couple knives, tree stand harness.

- 5 days turkey hunting
- 2-3 days grouse/quail

Probably walk 2-3 miles total per day whitetail hunting, 5-14 on everything else.

Couldn’t care less about brand or color. Don’t care if it’s marketed for hunting or not.

Top deciding factors are comfort, durability, proper size for daypack. Don’t need it to be water proof or capable of carrying a rifle.

Totally a proponent of the cry once buy once philosophy, but if the best backup you’ve ever used is $10 I’m all about that.
I really like the eberlestock X2 for a daypack. It's not a multi day pack but it's got a good frame if you need to pack the first load out to get a bigger frame pack. I've packed elk and even a Shiras moose quarter on mine and it was totally comfortable. I do own sitka and mystery ranch packs and I always just grab my X2 for day hunts. I guided Backcountry elk hunters for 15 years and I carried one everyday for the last 7 years of it. The same one as a matter of fact it held up very well. I retired it when I stopped guiding and bought another one and will probably carry it for the next 20 years if all goes well.

Any chance you want to haul meat, corn, a tree stand? If so, a full size frame and a small bag are worth considering like the mule @justinspicher mentions above. Most of the major pack brands have a version but they are all $$$. The MR pop up is worth a look too. I have used a pop up for 5 years now (38 liter gen 2) as my whitetail pack because I occasionally hunt areas that I would have to pack out a quartered animal. I like it but TBH if I didn’t need to pack out, I would prefer something with less frame weight and cost.

if you dont need to pack heavy loads, there are lots of options from a $25 surplus Alice medium pack on up. I am a mystery ranch fan and have a rip ruck and a 2dap that are great in that role. I i tend to like all my gear in the pack so I go for ~40 liters of capacity to handle winter layers. It is not always full but that is rarely a problem. I have a 22 liter pack from tactical tailor if I am going really light.

cmahoney

WKR
Man, any quality USA made pack over 3000 CI that pops up on here for sale used will work and save you some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
MR Pop Up 28.
I searched for the perfect do it all pack for years (i don't do multi day backpack hunts) & landed, finally, on the Pop Up.
It's small enough for stand hunting whitetail or day hunting for hogs, but still has the capability to haul an elk quarter and a couple of days worth of gear (tent, quilt etc...) It's super comfortable, although not the lightest & incredibly well thought out.

If possible try before you buy. Some people like that Eberlestock X2. I hated it. It squeaked, didn't carry well, load lifters useless, mediocre suspension. After 7 days and 80+ miles my shoulders were toast. That said still use it to carry stuff to the treestand. I think it's just that I have a longer torso, even though not that tall and it's a short pack. If the frame were 3 to 4" longer it'd be much improved.

I picked up a KUIU venture divide 2000 just to replace my old computer pack, as I got it on sale pretty cheap. Ive taken on several hikes. Seems comfortable, good suspension. No lifters of course. Good stiff back so it gives some support. I'll actually probably use it in Colorado this year on day hunts. Ive been pleasantly surprised.

I love my Kanjera Caprock 35

Hunting, hiking, camping, fishing... It's my carryon for flights, daily carry bag, etc.

Maz7869

FNG

- 5 days turkey hunting
- 2-3 days grouse/quail

The kifaru shape charge with a Sherman pocket is what I use for day hunting it Carrie’s everything well and I usually strap a chair in between the pack and shape charge if hunting from the ground.

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy my SG avail 2200 for day hikes or even hunting a whitetail stand. I find myself reaching for my kuiu 3600 cinched down or like a SG 2800 for a day hunt where I have potential to haul meat on a load shelf. I feel like it depends like a few guys said if you are planning on loading corn to a stand or haul meat I’d look for a smaller bag with load shelf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk