Favorite NEW gear for 2013 season

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So just seeing what peoples new favorite piece of gear was that they tried out this season.

For me is easy.

Hilleberg tents!! - I ran the Soulo and the Anjan 2 this year and awesome tents is an understatement. The Soulo i used for high country mule deer and with the weather we had I was living the spoiled life. Full 4 season sealed in. Came down for elk a little bit and went for the larger Anjan 2. Tons of room and sealed up better then the tarp I was running. For me I think the switch is going to be permanent, from tarp to tent. Its just so nice to sit in a clean big ass tent with no wind or rain issues. Yes it is 1lb heavier then my sealed Super tarp/ ID bivy combo but well worth it for me

Kryptek Camo - the whole 2013 line i used and it was top notch clothes. Durable as anything I've ever used and fit was spot on. I will be wear and supporting Kryptek from here on out. Awesome camo and company

Last edited:

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
My trekking poles saved my bacon several times in the muddy terrain. It was a good year to try them for the first time.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Alaios pants
SL5 Tent
Jetboil Sol ti
Zpacks 30* quilt
Thermarest Xtherm
Zpacks Hexamid solo plus cuben fiber tarp
Custom 6.5-06 ackley

These are the main things that stick out in my mind.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have gotten our gear pretty well dialed in the last few years, but we still picked up a couple of new items that really improved our quality of life in the backcountry...

Jetboil Sumo-- for two or more people this is such a huge improvement. Boil up to 1L of water at a time! No more making dinner in shifts!

Sea to Summit long handled titanium spoons-- no more getting MH all over my knuckles, and no more breaking spork tines off. Added bonus that I can clip them to the sumo cup with a carabiner.

Revelation X quilt 20*-- a single quilt was large enough for both Luke and I to bivy under (with puffy clothes too) on 5+ unexpected nights away from camp this season. Packs down small and weighs very little, it's cheap insurance to carry when you have to stay out unexpectedly!

bowinhand

WKR
Kifaru Bikini/High Camp 7000
Kifaru 4 pack pull-outs
Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD binoculars
Tika T3 Lite stainless 7mm Rem. Mag. w/ Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback scope.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
Being this was my first year backpack hunting I am still figuring out my gear and figuring which gear I still need and the gear I want to change.
But my two favorite pieces this year was jetboil flash and trekking poles.

Carlin59

WKR
This was my third summer backpacking/fall bivy-hunting season since moving to CO from WI. Year 1 was a rush to accumulate enough gear cheap get out and do it. Year 2 was realizing that I needed to upgrade in a lot of areas and researching what those next purchases should be. This year, Year 3, has seen a lot of upgrades from entry-level to at least lower-mid level gear:
Go-Lite SL3
Big Agnes Encampment 15/BAIAC Combo
BD Ergo-Cork Poles
Vortex Diamondback 10x42 Binos
DeLorme Inreach SE (GF and Parents much happier now!)
Horn Hunter Bino System
Cabelas Primaloft vest
The difference in pack weight, comfort, and overall functionality has been remarkable, and I can't wait to step up to top-tier gear in the next few years!

alot of my gear carried over but for new pieces i really liked the switch to the bikini frame.
hanwag alaskans were a good call.
qcore SL was a good switch vs standard q core, just as comfortable with weight savings.
going from tyvek floor to a bivy was a game changer for me, first night in the bivy was first night i didnt end up off my pad at some point
im really liking my cerdic hoody

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Razor HD 12X50 binos....awesome glass for the weight
Bikini Frame.....everything about the Timberline I liked and no barreling I didn't like about it.....stiffness nearly of the Duplex without the weight
Highcamp 7K bag...Much larger opening on top than a Duplex Timberline 1 bag, makes it easier to pack and especially putting quarters on the bone and bear and goat hides in as well.
Rev X Quilts........Best thing to leave in your day pack for unexpected nights away from camp besides our old stand by SL-5 of course ;) The fact that Becca and I can share a 1.5 pound quilt and stay warm and comfortable and still get quality sleep says a lot and every bit of worth it. :D

The rest of the gear for the most part was boringly the same from last year.

Oh yeah, Kryptek primaloft vest for later season hunts...comfy and warm and a great addition to a puffy coat when the temps really drop. :D

Swarovski EL range (and using them on a tripod) - Changed the way I glass.
Promaster XC525C tripod and Vanguard PH-111V head - incredible set up for the cost.
Big Agnes Q Core SL - I'm 6'1", 200 lbs, and then wide long is a great fit. Couldn't imagine the standard width though.
Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 - IMHO, perfect balance of size, weight, and comfort.
Sawyer squeeze filer - best water treatment system I've used in 20 years, hands down!

boom

WKR
My trekking poles saved my bacon several times in the muddy terrain. It was a good year to try them for the first time.

this!!

i own a brandnew WM sleeping bag and a kifaru pack system. it's the trekking poles make me want to high-five someone everytime i use them. $70!!

saved my knees on those crazy multi mile decents.

Just starting to use my new Zeiss 10x42HT, replacing my 35yr old Zeiss 8x30 . So far I love them, huge improvement!!

I have a new Freedom Arms Mod 83 .454 that will probably become my primary hunting gun now, replacing my trusty Redhawk .44.
The .44 has no flys on it, and I will still hunt anything with it, but it is nice to have the flat shooting .454, and I am looking forward to
using it on my upcoming spring , peninsula BIG brown bear hunt.
I am beginning to use some of these new fangled miracle clothing items that all of you youngsters have convinced me to try!!

They better work, or I am coming after you folks!!!!!

Bob

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana 280 AI and a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 for it (and dies, etc etc...) And a Minivac VP 215 C chamber vacuum sealer. After that I was broke!

JNDEER

WKR
in order.

1) Swarovski SLC HD 10x42
2) Kuiu Tiburon Pants. These are hands down the best pants I have ever owned for hunting in CA A zone and through B zone weather permitting.
3) Vasque Breeze 2.0 (non-insulated and non-waterproof).....note- it took 3 pairs to find a set that fit my feet well.
3) Nikon ED60