Favorite NEW gear for 2013 season

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Snuck a few small upgrades in the budget this year. Standouts were the Alaska guide creations bino chest pack and REI xt 85 backpack. I'm hoping to upgrade the pack to a Kifaru after this summer.

trdhunter

WKR
Best upgrade has been Vortex Razor spotter and promaster carbonfiber tripod. Will be ordering kifaru pack soon so guess that will count towards next year.

Buster

WKR
In order:

Kifaru bikini

Kahtoola crampons

Vortex 4-16x44 HS rifle scope

Koldo jacket

Now that I have upgraded, looking back on my old gear makes me wonder how I managed.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Barney's Yukon Pack

I upsized from their "hunter" pack, the extra room of the Yukon was very beneficial and served my purposes well.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
2 pairs of Exofficio Give-n-go boxer briefs. One of the best purchases in years, not just for 2013.

Kuiu Tiburon pants have been great for warmer/hot weather. Very pleased with them.

Jay03

WKR
2 pairs of Exofficio Give-n-go boxer briefs.

What this guy said! I bought all kinds of gear this year... But these were great! I actually got the boxers for a month long field training excersize with my unit in the National Guard. They became my backpacking undies as well.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting comments on the boxer briefs. One of my big complaints about boxer briefs is they usually either stretch out on my quads and become loose fitting after a while or if they don't stretch, they want to ride up and start to bunch up. How do these handle issues like this?

I came to realize a good pair of boxer briefs is worth the money. My every day ones were Hanes. Within no time the elastic on my thighs were no longer snug and just rode up. Then I paid about four times the amount and got some Reebok brand. Several months old and they fit like day one. I will no longer buy cheap undies!!!

I used a fare amount of new gear this year, but only two come to mind when I think of favorites. Attack pants and LBO. I am very happy with how both have performed.

Last edited:

Birddog

FNG
Kifaru BT1. Was a bit nervous about buying something with an $800 price tag without so much as laying hands on it beforehand, but it's worth every penny. I overpacked for a three day trip to see how it would haul 60#, and wound up packing meat and camp out with it. It was a whitetail hunt, so none of that 120# stuff, but it was a solid 90# and I couldn't believe how well it rode.

Manosteel

WKR
The BT1; mountain smith LT tarp tent; Havlon knife, BOMB tag bags, and all the stuff my wife made for me from silnylon - pullouts, meat bags, rain cover/tarp.
And my kryptek Valhalla shirt; katos puff and Vidar vest - I have used all three pieces continually this year - Love them

Last edited:

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Switched from a sleeping bag to a quilt this year. I toss and turn while I sleep and the quilt has made a noticeable improvement in comfort. It's also lighter than my equivalent bag.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting comments on the boxer briefs. One of my big complaints about boxer briefs is they usually either stretch out on my quads and become loose fitting after a while or if they don't stretch, they want to ride up and start to bunch up. How do these handle issues like this?

I like the under armour boxerjocks and any other brand with a similar product. Full synthetic with no cotton is my preference. Or merino wool. The 9" length fits me much better than the 6" style. I've tried UA, adidas, starter, champion, and first lite red deserts. All of them fit comfortably when I'm doing activities. Except I have one pair of 6" champions. They ride up my thighs like a bastard. The 6" UA's are decent but I can't go wrong with any of them in 9".

2rocky

WKR
Havalon knife - 4 Antelope and one mule deer on 5 blades. (I became a dealer and ordered them in to our feed store from this experience)

First Lite and Kuiu merino shirts
Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 man and the REI version as well.

everything else has stayed pretty dialed.