Favorite wind stopper Layer/Jacket?

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
What is your favorite wind-stopping piece of clothing taking into consideration quietness and budget. TIA

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on what time of year I am going hunting and what temperature's are doing while I'm up there but I like my Sitka Jetstream jacket the best. If it is earlier in the season and temperatures are still high then I do change it out for a Sitka Mountain Jacket witch is just as good as the Jetstream at stopping wind. With a budget they are competitive with similar items form other brands.

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
For cold weather tree stand hunting in the Midwest wooltimate from Cabela’s works wonders

It's not quiet, but it is light (7 oz), waterproof/windproof, and cheap - the Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket. You can get it in coyote brown.

Until late season with cold and snow I really prefer the Peloton 240 over anything else as it breathes extremely well, is quiet and blocks almost all of the wind until it really blows hard like 20 mph plus then I feel some. Late and cold I use the Jetstream but you have to know how to use it because it does not breathe at all so if you are hiking hard you kind of have to freeze until you aren't working so hard and can put it on. Hoping the Kuiu Axis will be the solution for late season with better breathability and water resistance which is really the only downside to the peloton 240.

I just ordered a mountain jacket. I can use it under my mesh motorcycle jacket when I need to block wind and it hopefully it packs down small enough to fit in my saddle bags. Also after listening to John Barklow talk with Aron Snyder about it I’m hoping it will hump up my layering system for hunting this fall/winter. One of the places I deer hunt is along a giant meadow and the wind really whips across it. And just to be a douchebag to my hunting buddies I can flaunt the fact that I am the only one with a badass Sitka gear. But seriously for the deal I got I can turn around and sell it for a $50 profit if I don’t like it.

OP
CREillY

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on what time of year I am going hunting and what temperature's are doing while I'm up there but I like my Sitka Jetstream jacket the best. If it is earlier in the season and temperatures are still high then I do change it out for a Sitka Mountain Jacket witch is just as good as the Jetstream at stopping wind. With a budget they are competitive with similar items form other brands.

Thanks for the info! How quiet is the mountain Jacket?

work765

WKR
Have any of you guys tried the wind jacket from Enlightened Equipment? Copperfield
Looks interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! How quiet is the mountain Jacket?

I would say on par with jetstream. Not whisper quiet like some fleece faced stuff but soft shells usually aren’t. I believe it is the same material as the jetstream without the fleece backer and seam taping.

I really like the Sitka Flash for purely wind stopping and shedding some rain. It’s light, easy to use and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk