Favorite Winter Hunting Opportunities

dlee56

WKR
Just wrapped up 2nd season in CO and even though it was my last tag this year I don’t want to be done hunting. What are your favorite winter hunts that are last minute acceptable? Small game, big game, waterfowl? Open to traveling some but not more than weekend warrior style.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I started our attempt last year at waterfowl which proved to be a bit difficult for us. We also went out for predators with some success on public grounds, cool part was how long you can hunt bobcats and things like beaver. Bobcat tacos aren’t so bad.

SloppyJ

WKR
Duck hunting is a classic for late winter. But I also happen to live in the mecca. I enjoy small game hunting for just getting out and walking around.

If you decide to go duck hunting, it has a pretty steep learning curve so it might be best to go with someone who has done it before. It takes a special kind of person to go after them day in and day out.

Rich M

WKR
Ducks aren’t bad once you realize that there are highways in the sky that they follow.

Also, if you scout somewhere and dont see any, it is probably not where you want to hunt.

Tracking rabbits in the snow is fun.

I’ve usually burned up all my credits with the wife and family by the end of the big game seasons so winter time I try to spend a lot more time with the family. That being said I can still get out for plenty of night time predator calling, since everyone’s headed to bed and I’m not missing out on anything anyways. A handheld spotlight and a scope mounted light are pretty reasonably priced these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Predators are easy to get out for without making it a big deal. Careful with waterfowl, it can get plain addicting and you’ll give up all other kinds of hunting. Did that for like 5 years before I moved to a place with very little waterfowl hunting and even then it took a couple years to break the habit. Squirrels are fun with a .22lr.

wyogoat

WKR
Another vote for predator hunting. Use the principals you use for big game like watching wind and you’ll do well pretty quick. Un-pressured coyotes respond pretty well which helps make it worthwhile. Some days are tough and some days you’ll shoot 4 in self defense. A good e-call is pretty reasonable and lasts forever.

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, I somehow filled my antelope, muley and elk tags this year. An anomoly for sure, lol.

Heading to Missouri Wednesday for a whitetail hunt. Some birds and bunnies when I get back to WY.

taskswap

WKR
Grouse in the high country, pheasant in the low, finish it off with geese. Spring turkey if you're a go-getter.

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are in Co… waterfowl is basically only fun if you have leased ground these days. SWA’s are hammered and often you will have another group set up within 100+\- yards and skybust birds you are trying to decoy

Flyjunky

WKR
Lots of coyote hunts again and hopefully a cat this year as well. I look at it as building Karma points with the deer and elk gods ;)

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Depending where you are at a quail or pheasant hunt is a great time!

Pdzoller

WKR
Deer and elk until February and then rabbits. Desert cottontails aren’t much different than spot and stalk deer hunting.

CorbLand

WKR
You take up waterfowl and you might find yourself on a ridge glassing the flock of ducks flying, instead of glassing for deer...ask me how I know.

KurtR

WKR
You take up waterfowl and you might find yourself on a ridge glassing the flock of ducks flying, instead of glassing for deer...ask me how I know.
yep last year we were deer hunting in the morning and mallards were pilling in a field kid asked if we could shoot ducks instead that afternoon. I said absolutely