Federal judge sides with hunters

HobbitAK

FNG
This is sad but true. I've brought the issue up a few times with people, and often I'll get an admittedly understandable question of "why not just ask the landowner?" I don't think a lot of people understand just who actually owns states like Wyoming. You aren't asking farmer jim to hunt his creek. Half the time you would be asking something like Wells Fargo bank. I mean just look at this case. Some guys crossed a corner, probably didn't know or could find the land owner. It turned out to be Fred Eshelman, a rich CEO of big pharma, and apparently ranch business owner.

I don't know Fred Eshelman, he doesn't seem to be the worst guy, except for thinking people who never stepped foot on his land owes him 8 million dollars. But it's people like that who control these checkerboard lands of the west, you can't just go knock on their door an ask. If they are even people instead of businesses, much of the time they don't even live in the state full time. The only good argument I've ever heard is that allowing corner crossing might lower property values because they would no longer have private control over the public lands. Maybe I'm heartless, but I just can't feel bad about property values of billionaires and companies when it comes to regaining what is rightfully all of ours anyways. At the very least there needs to be a compromise such as a state lease program for a small easement at each corner.
I think you nailed it. Can't figure out who owns what and if you do chances are they don't live in-State and certainly don't care about hunting or fishing opportunities for common folks.

jmez

WKR
State Legislature will get involved if it continues to go in publics favor.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk