Federal judge sides with hunters

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is if it got appealed (twice?) to the Supreme Court and is upheld based upon UIA, it sets precedent for every state. That is a long ways from where we are now though.

That's correct; the plaintiffs would have to first appeal to the 10th Circuit (Denver). To appeal they would have to have grounds to appeal. Appellate court is not a retrial, simply a vehicle to insure the proceedings were correctly conducted and the law(s) were applied correctly. Ditto if were to go further yet to the Supreme Court.

You can't appeal just because you don't like the outcome, they would have to provide evidence that the District judge erred.

I can't speak for other states, but given this ruling I'd be shocked if a Montana county prosecutor would even consider prosecuting a corner crossing case, especially considering they've never taken one even before this ruling.

RMB518

FNG
No they aren't. They want transferable land owner tags so they can sell them for big $$. None of them would be supportive of cow tags only.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
That may be but that has not been openly communicated or documented in the article.

They are asking for transferable land owner tag they get 2 max currently. They are not asking for more land owner tags.

For me it's wild to complain about too many elk on your land and be closed to opening it as a "walk-in" or permission slip area

jmez

WKR
The only reason they are complaining is because they can't sell enough hunts. The ranchers solution will not be widespread cow eradication. Juan Reyes basically said it in another article.

Putting transferable bull tags in landowners hands would stop all complaining immediately. It would do nothing to address the population issue.

I'm not anti rancher, live in ranch country and friends with a lot of them. Just calling a spade a spade.

RMB518

FNG
This Eshelman character is pretty interesting he's so sue happy or his ego is so strong he's setting precedents left and right that end up benefiting public land users.

He is also sueing google to release the name of a person using a fake name that called him a shitty person.

This is all fascinating to me... a few people corner cross onto public lands and he bets the farm

jmez

WKR
Don't kid yourselves, this is a loooooong way from over.

dtrkyman

WKR
Landowner may well have shot himself in the foot. He had a few guys taking advantage, now there will be a trail of folks flocking to that spot.

ranny

FNG
Unfortunately In states where the big $$ landowners have political clout (most Western states I think) this will end up meaning more clear legislation against corner crossing. Current rulings are based on current law, but I think in the long run some of the fallout from this might end up being clearer laws that prohibit corner crossing. But I'm no legal expert and I hope I'm wrong 🤷‍♂️

jmez

WKR
👆👆👆👆

Your not wrong. If anyone honestly thinks a bunch of billionaires are going to lose control over property rights they are wrong.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The very best scenario is that the matter is settled at a federal level. Right now all that Wyoming (or insert another Western state) is to pass legislation stating corner crossing is unlawful. Not a big stretch for most states.

Settle it at the federal level, it’s settled (maybe aside from state sections).

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
👆👆👆👆

Your not wrong. If anyone honestly thinks a bunch of billionaires are going to lose control over property rights they are wrong.

This is sad but true. I've brought the issue up a few times with people, and often I'll get an admittedly understandable question of "why not just ask the landowner?" I don't think a lot of people understand just who actually owns states like Wyoming. You aren't asking farmer jim to hunt his creek. Half the time you would be asking something like Wells Fargo bank. I mean just look at this case. Some guys crossed a corner, probably didn't know or could find the land owner. It turned out to be Fred Eshelman, a rich CEO of big pharma, and apparently ranch business owner.

I don't know Fred Eshelman, he doesn't seem to be the worst guy, except for thinking people who never stepped foot on his land owes him 8 million dollars. But it's people like that who control these checkerboard lands of the west, you can't just go knock on their door an ask. If they are even people instead of businesses, much of the time they don't even live in the state full time. The only good argument I've ever heard is that allowing corner crossing might lower property values because they would no longer have private control over the public lands. Maybe I'm heartless, but I just can't feel bad about property values of billionaires and companies when it comes to regaining what is rightfully all of ours anyways. At the very least there needs to be a compromise such as a state lease program for a small easement at each corner.

Last edited: