Feelings vs pragmatism

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
My brother(deceased) left me a few rifles
One is a 700 bdl 270 with factory dbm ( no feed lips on action).
I have no use for a 270 so I can send it down the road or build something more useful. Accurate has 3 round AIC mags so I could do something that would fit in a scabbard. The pragmatist says send it down the road. Feelings make me want to build a nice light mule deer elk rifle out of it.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:
I’m more of a will I use or not kinda guy. When the day comes that I have to sift through my dads stuff, if it’s not something I can use the way it is, I won’t be keeping it. The only exception is if there would be a specific build I was looking at building and needed one of the rifles for parts. But I wouldn’t keep one “just in case” I wanted to use it for a build. I don’t have that kinda room in the safe!!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s an object. It is worth what someone will buy it for. Any feelings more than that are what you attach to it. Feelings aren’t unimportant, if it makes you happy then use it or rebuild it.

I had to decide what to do with my grandpa’s busted old tool box and tools. Felt disrespectful to toss them, but that was a feeling. The tools were worthless and mismatched junk. I had them for years and then took pictures, thought about my grandpa and tossed them in the trash.

My memories of my grandpa are still with me. I don’t feel guilty. No one else wanted the tools. The memory had worth. I kept them. I haven’t ever gone back to look at the pictures of tools.

If it has special memories, keep it. If they don’t, why keep it?

If you feel disrespectful for selling it, why?

If you want it to have meaning, give it away to someone in need. That will preserve very pleasant memories about your brother and the rifle.

If there is nothing more special about it than it was your brother’s then why would you keep that but sell his dirty lazy boy or silverware? No one feels like they have to keep a decent running car just because a family member owned it.