First and Last Rifle - New Hunter

ElPollo

WKR
That’s the problem all around, you’re parroting what is said on rokslide. This is the only place on the internet that thinks R700 triggers in general are unreliable which is absolutely false.

The 700 trigger safety issues are 100% caused by idiots adjusting them, nothing more nothing less. So yes, you are wrong.

The 700 has decades of military service where this was never an issue because nobody was touching them. They only became an issue when every billy bob decided to do a trigger job and ****** up the sear engagement.

You act as if I’m saying that R700 should be banned. I clearly did not say that. I stated that an R700 would not be the first gun I would recommend for a new shooter. I stand by that and wish you a good day.

hunterjmj

WKR
Who cares what they think? Its a forum, not a cult. The idea that there is some unified consensus is absurd. I'm sitting out in the middle of nowhere right now hunting antelope with my aperture sight Springfield M1A. I can only imagine the problems people on this board would find with my setup.
I'd like to take my Dads .30-30 antelope hunting next year. Been shooting a bunch lately, need more practice behind the iron sights, but it'll do the job for sure. I love shooting that lever gun and it'd be really awesome to get an antelope with it. That would be great to see an antelope taken with any non-modern bolt gun. Hoping you get an antelope with your M1A.

TaperPin

WKR
I wonder if Bergara rifles have the same issue just because they are 700 clones. I think I'll make a separate thread about it. Thank you!
Remington and Remington clone rifles are going strong and will be popular long after everyone in here is just a memory. Improper trigger adjustment with too little sear engagement, too little reset spring pressure, or even a lack of overtravel, or lack of maintenance will cause problems with all triggers.

Theres nothing wrong with Tikka - they seem like a lot of gun for the money.

I have no problem buying multiple Rem 700 rifles for both our kids and any grandkids that will come along. While I trust their guns are well adjusted and plenty safe, the hoopla over triggers is a good conversation starter why they should never trust any safety or trigger - especially around guns they aren’t familiar with. The two friends I’ve know that were shot with dropped guns, were both shot with pistols, but could have been rifles - to the one who’s dead none of it matters.

Bargera isn't perfect, but for the price point they seem like a lot of gun for the money. I was surprised they also make CVA. I ran across this picture of a Bergara trigger - they eliminated adjustment screws, and it all looks like powdered metal molded parts. Worse quality and more lawyer proof - like much of what we buy anymore. 🙂

Attachments

• AE26A49C-CA73-4779-974F-95408B2E0805.jpeg
    AE26A49C-CA73-4779-974F-95408B2E0805.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 15

TxxAgg

WKR
OP,

I've been down this road more than I care to admit. I'm primarily a bow hunter but went off the deep end with guns for a while.

I've owned rifles from Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Henry, Marlin, CZ, Bergara, and Ruger spanning cartridges from 223 to 30-06.

Tikka is the best bet as many have mentioned. They just work. Personally, recoil matters so I'd go 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor if I were you. Or 6.5x55 for style points. A 308 or 270 is pretty versatile but they (or 30-06) start to bark in a Tikka package. I've owned them all.

Sportsmatch rings are great. 1" are easier to buy than 30mm.

If you dial, I'd defer to the multiple threads on here regarding quality scopes. I'm partial to SWFA and Trijicon. The SWFA fixed 6 is great. Even at short range despite what some here have said.

If you don't dial but want BDC holdovers, I'd suggest a Trijicon Accupoint.

Tahoe1305

WKR
If it helps. Tikka 6.5C if you ever decide to make some handloads well outperforms its class due to throat volume. It will bridge to PRC gaining almost perfect in the middle performance.

I think a 143 going 2900fps is plenty for elk (handloads). Now the 2600fps from factory maybe not as much…..but the handload option is there.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Geissele has so many issues it’s not even funny, hence why they discontinued it.

USMC had to issue a bulletin because of safety issues with them in the MK13’s. Shooters would start taking up the first stage, release and put the gun on safe and they would fire.

Can you link to or quote the “safety bulletin” from the USMC about that?

This is the only place on the internet that thinks R700 triggers in general are unreliable which is absolutely false.

The 700 trigger safety issues are 100% caused by idiots adjusting them, nothing more nothing less. So yes, you are wrong.

No, this is not the only place where the R700 trigger is a known problem. Triggers failures at matches in the west and south west are extremely common with all R700 triggers, and are not common with some other rifles.

The 700 has decades of military service where this was never an issue because nobody was touching them.

That is completely and 100% false. SOP’s were out into place by both the USMC and US Army about how the rifles were carried and used due to trigger issues. People may not know that’s why those SOP’s were put into place, but that’s why they were.

I went down a rabbit hole on The 700 trigger, a few months back reading various articles about it. It seems there are quite a few people who’ve been shot by a malfunction of this trigger. Don’t really hear about this with any other guns that I’m aware of.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I went down a rabbit hole on The 700 trigger, a few months back reading various articles about it. It seems there are quite a few people who’ve been shot by a malfunction of this trigger. Don’t really hear about this with any other guns that I’m aware of.

*Cough* Glock *cough*

*Cough* Glock *cough*

Another person that doesn’t know WTF they’re talking about. A Glock can’t discharge without the pull the the trigger, it’s physically impossible. The striker is blocked and only partially cocked so even if the sear failed and striker block at the same time too it couldn’t discharge. Glock leg is caused by idiots holstering and getting their shirt or dick beaters caught up on the trigger. Sig P320’s are the ones firing in holsters uncommanded.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Another person that doesn’t know WTF they’re talking about. A Glock can’t discharge without the pull the the trigger, it’s physically impossible. The striker is blocked and only partially cocked so even if the sear failed and striker block at the same time too it couldn’t discharge. Glock leg is caused by idiots holstering and getting their shirt or dick beaters caught up on the trigger. Sig P320’s are the ones firing in holsters uncommanded.

It was a joke to stir the pot. Looks like it worked. I'm not a fan of any striker fired handguns, but it isn't because of safety. I don't agree on the R700 assessment either. They are garbage because Remington was garbage for the last 15 years.

I called Remington after I bought an old used 700 ADL, and they told me they are no longer offering new triggers, new ownership of company, But the guy who answered the phone strongly urged me to get a new Timney trigger on it for safety, the new Remington 700’s have Timney triggers installed at the factory.

I called Remington after I bought an old used 700 ADL, and they told me they are no longer offering new triggers, new ownership of company, But the guy who answered the phone strongly urged me to get a new Timney trigger on it for safety, the new Remington 700’s have Timney triggers installed at the factory.

I’ve got a Timney flat shoe sitting in the parts bin you can have for $100

fwafwow

WKR
Can you link to or quote the “safety bulletin” from the USMC about that?

No, this is not the only place where the R700 trigger is a known problem. Triggers failures at matches in the west and south west are extremely common with all R700 triggers, and are not common with some other rifles.

That is completely and 100% false. SOP’s were out into place by both the USMC and US Army about how the rifles were carried and used due to trigger issues. People may not know that’s why those SOP’s were put into place, but that’s why they were.
More FUQs

Another vote for the Tikka in 6.5 CM. No worries, no fuss, works for everything . If you ever feel like you want more velocity, the Tikka chamber is very accommodating for reloads, so you can easily get another 200 fps with the same bullet over factory. So you are very near factory 6.5 PRC speeds at that point (within 50-75 fps safely.)

If you are referring to post-upgrade P320s, do you have a source you can share please?

There’s threads on the hide and arfcom almost every month where another one has gone off in some officers holster when they moved their leg or brushed up against the gun. If you search you’ll find it.

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the problem all around, you’re parroting what is said on rokslide.
There’s threads on the hide and arfcom almost every month where another one has gone off in some officers holster when they moved their leg or brushed up against the gun. If you search you’ll find it.
Wait, so are you just parroting what you read on a forum?