First and Last Rifle - New Hunter

fwafwow

WKR
There’s threads on the hide and arfcom almost every month where another one has gone off in some officers holster when they moved their leg or brushed up against the gun. If you search you’ll find it.
I was hoping for something other than a forum thread for a source. I did some looking and see lots of people saying these uncommanded discharges occur, but just as many people arguing that there’s no proof that it happened without something else going on. This was of some interest to me

I was hoping for something other than a forum thread for a source. I did some looking and see lots of people saying these uncommanded discharges occur, but just as many people arguing that there’s no proof that it happened without something else going on. This was of some interest to me

There’s always data in those threads and usually articles, police statements and often video of it happening.

fwafwow

WKR
There’s always data in those threads and usually articles, police statements and often video of it happening.
The article indicated, at least to me, that it’s not happening. If there is evidence to the contrary, I would think that author would have mentioned it, or Sig would have lost a lawsuit.

Jon_G

WKR
No, this is not the only place where the R700 trigger is a known problem. Triggers failures at matches in the west and south west are extremely common with all R700 triggers, and are not common with some other rifles.

That is completely and 100% false. SOP’s were out into place by both the USMC and US Army about how the rifles were carried and used due to trigger issues. People may not know that’s why those SOP’s were put into place, but that’s why they were.
So if I replaced my Bergara B-14 trigger with a triggertech does this mean I'm in the clear? This is in regards to the shitty trigger quality and issues you guys are talking about with R700 rifles of course. Or does it not apply to Bergara because it's only an R700 clone? Thanks for all of the information!

RayF

FNG
New to hunting as well as Rokslide and hoping you guys can help me. I am a new hunter but have a good bit of experience skeet/trap shooting as well as competitive .22 shooting. I'm just getting into hunting and would like to make one rifle/scope purchase that will last a good 20+ years as I grow into the sport and different game.

Right now I'm looking at either a Tikka T3x Lite or Weatherby Vanguard in .270, .308, 6.5 CR, or .30-06. I'll primarily be hunting northeast whitetail on my friends farm but hope to get out west for elk down the road. My concern - I am 5' 11'' 150 lbs. I don't consider myself recoil sensitive (100+ 12GA shells are no problem) but would like to be as accurate as possible and maybe do some bench shooting with the gun as well. Would the T3x Lite in .30-06 be too much? .308? Any thoughts on the Vanguard synthetic stock with the rubberized material - will it break down over time?

I know 6.5 CR is controversial. Is it enough for elk?

Any rifle help would be appreciated along with scope recs! Thank you.

As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie
I’ll second (or third) whoever said don’t consider a remotely possible elk hunt later on.

6.5CM catches a lot of heat because such an easy and forgiving shooter that it tends to draw inexperienced shooters into taking fundamentally wrong shots.

I have 300WM, 30-06, .308, and .270. Since getting the 6.5CM, I’ve given the .270 to my son and the others haven’t seen a day in the woods.

Get a 6.5CM. Shoot it as if it were a .308. Worry about the elk gun when the plans start getting serious.

Just my 2 cents.

Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6.5 PRC or 6.5 CM. Leupold VX-6 in 3-18 flavor. Quality Ammo using ELDX or similar. Practice

The Easy Button

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So if I replaced my Bergara B-14 trigger with a triggertech does this mean I'm in the clear? This is in regards to the shitty trigger quality and issues you guys are talking about with R700 rifles of course. Or does it not apply to Bergara because it's only an R700 clone? Thanks for all of the information!

No. It is a design of the system.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
ive accepted rifles are like boots/ shoots. You are going to have your dress pair, your shit kickers, and your steel toes to get the job done. 1 rifle to do all three is fine and works great buuuut 3 rifles is a lot more fun and you can dress for the appropriate job 99 percent of the time

OP

98TJ10

FNG
Thank you everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it. It's decided- a T3X lite 6.5CM and waiting for the SWFA to come back in stock. I would ask about blued vs stainless but i'm using the search function to my advantage... Any rings other than Sportsmatch? Kind of tired of everything being backordered in today's world...

atmat

WKR
Thank you everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it. It's decided- a T3X lite 6.5CM and waiting for the SWFA to come back in stock. I would ask about blued vs stainless but i'm using the search function to my advantage... Any rings other than Sportsmatch? Kind of tired of everything being backordered in today's world...
Unknown Munitions makes better rings than Sportsmatch, but also at 2x the cost.

just backorder the swfa, they've basically been out of stock for about 3 years, backorders get filled eventually and there's seldom enough left over to go "in stock"

ElPollo

WKR
I have used the Sportsmatch rings for about 4 years. I’ve always gotten them from Airguns of Arizona. They aren’t ever listed as in stock, but they’ll likely come in way before your scope. The last two sets I ordered shipped 3 weeks after the order. If they survived Form, they are good enough for me.

Burris makes steel rings for the Tikka integral rail. I have a pair of tall ones, but I’ve never used them. They are skinnier and have less purchase on the rail than the Sportsmatch rings.

The UM rings are the nicest of the bunch. They are an updated of the Sportsmatch and I think they have a second recoil pin. They are a bit over twice as expensive as the Sportsmatch.