FFP vs SFP and necessity

Jmort1754

WKR
Putting it on a new 300 wsm, 1000 yards on steel 6-700 on game.

Can get a 4-24 tenmile SFP for a smoking deal
Can get a 4-32 NX8 FFP for a smoking deal.

Never shot an FFP scope so just trying to figure out if it is worth it?

kickemall

WKR
You really need to look through them for yourself to make a decision. I have both and would stick to ffp if all my shots were beyond a hundred yards in decent light. Illumination helps but low light, short distance SFP is for me. Most people who have only used sfp don’t care for ffp at first. If you don’t plan on using the reticle for wind holds then I’d say sfp for sure. Once you start using it for what its designed for its hard to go sfp. Neither is the wrong choice but definitely look through both and both your scope choices are solid.

Last edited:
I tried FFP and went back to SFP. Have Credos on my rifles now. Really have to just try it. FFP has a purpose but not everyone needs it or will use it.

Kurts86

WKR
In my opinion FFP becomes a requirement once I get a scope with a maximum magnification above 10x because I’ll spend a lot of time in mid range magnification while needing accurate wind holds. I can’t imagine using a 24x SFP scope at this point.

Have a shorter median shot distance while hunting also really matters as most FFP reticles are going to be marginally visible until you get to 2x minimum magnification in dark timber or inside of 100 yards. On a pronghorn hunt FFP is great but not so much still hunting elk in dark timber or eastern freestanding hunting.

SDHNTR

WKR
SFP beyond 15xish is bad news. Not enough FOV. I own a nx8 4-32 and it’s great but worthless under about 8-10x. Despite what some here say, there is no universal superiority of one over another. It’s personal preference.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I don't plan to shoot competitions and really just plan to shoot for fun at steel at that far. I have a ten mile sfp 3-18 on 6.5 prc and like it. Just wondering if ffp was better.

SDHNTR

WKR
I don't plan to shoot competitions and really just plan to shoot for fun at steel at that far. I have a ten mile sfp 3-18 on 6.5 prc and like it. Just wondering if ffp was better.
One isn’t better than the other, they are just mechanically different. IMO, the hard part about FFP is finding one where the reticle is visible at lower powers. Most suck in the lower range, Nightforce included.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
One isn’t better than the other, they are just mechanically different. IMO, the hard part about FFP is finding one where the reticle is visible at lower powers. Most suck in the lower range, Nightforce included.
That what I have heard, and finding someplace that has them in stock to look at is the hard part.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Putting it on a new 300 wsm, 1000 yards on steel 6-700 on game.

Can get a 4-24 tenmile SFP for a smoking deal
Can get a 4-32 NX8 FFP for a smoking deal.

Never shot an FFP scope so just trying to figure out if it is worth it?

Neither one of those is optimum for hunting.

Maven RS1.2 SHR-mil. Then you aren’t compromising on anything- the reticle is as viable as a standard SFP duplex on low power and is a very good mil FFP above 5x.

Weldor

WKR
I can say that for myself FFP at higher power is great. Not so much at 3 or 3.5. I can barely see the reticle at 3x without it being illuminated but everybody's vision is different. Also I don't use them at low power at all. Mid range and top end mostly. For myself if I was hunting dark timber or eastern woods SFP for me.

tracker12

WKR
I would think Lighted reticle will take care of that.