Field Judging Optics

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Over the last couple months, I’ve dug quite deep in learning the ins/outs of optics and what makes them tick. I’ve also strayed away from hunting/shooting forums and dove heavily into the birding forums, where they seems to cover WAY more aspects of optics than we do in the hunting world. This brought me to some questions about judging different quality scopes/binos/spotters in the field. In the hunting world I see a lot of “non-scientific” comparisons between Brand A and Brand B, and sometimes these comparisons seem skewed due to brand loyalty. The person doing the comparison seems to just be pointing at a random sage brush hill during mid day when the heat waves are at a max, and then goes on to say that Brand A is much much better. WTF? How did you come to that conclusion? In the birder comparisons they seem to use pixilated graphs of varying size, search out proper environmental conditions, and an important factor, seem to have less bias over brand A or B. I’m just curious what some of you Rokslide optics fanatics do to compare optics that gives you the best, unbiased results for picking your optic of choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several friends who are outfitters and guides. I'll ask them straight up what works and what does not; this applies to optics and all other gear. I'll look through their optics, my optics, and other hunters optics whenever I can under hunting conditions. My eyes, and not a chart, will determine what I personally consider the "best".

There is a very popular retailer in Fountain Hills, AZ. They have an amazing setup where customers can try out various optics and "glass" the hill sides from their entrance way. Customers' eyes should be the ultimate decision maker on what is "best" and not a chart. Everyone's eyes are different.

I have some optics, such as my SLC 15s and STX65/95, that I do consider the "best". However, I also have optics, such as my SLC 10s, that I do not consider the "best". I'd give that nod to the EL 10s (non-rangefinding).

It's fun to have discussions on what is the "best" for hunting but once you hit a certain quality level, it comes down to personal preferences. And skill.

I would add that the competitive long range shooters who are putting holes in paper at long distances can give good feedback on optics.

...yes, bird forums rule.

fatrascal

WKR
Other things to consider along with everything already mentioned when buying hunting optics is warranty. I want a namebrand that honors their warranty in a way that gives me no hassle and fixes the problem quickly. Also, I want a namebrand that offers accessories and after market companies also offer accessories for that product. As an example, digiscoping equipment or stay on covers or tripods.
Bird forums are a great place to learn about evaluating the quality of optics but I also want to learn from hunters who have used, tested and had success with optics in a hunters world because our world is tougher on optics. There are several name brands that offer top of the line quality but not all are as good at honoring warranty, or offering accessories, or handling cold temperatures, or falling in a creek and the list goes on. These companies have been tested and have earned a reputation from hunters. Hunters need more than just quality in glass but also a hardy product. Hunters learn from other hunters. So while there is a lot to learn from birders there is still more to the needs of a hunter. Fatrascal.