Filming your hunt

Video recording a hunt

• I gotta do it!

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Pain in the butt, won't bother.

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters
I've tried it and found it too distracting and generally undermined my ability to take an animal successfully...ultimately abandoning the video effort completely. What's your position? Are you addicted to getting the footage or happy with the trophy photo alone?

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
What's the point of videoing yourself doing anything? If you plan to share it on one of the social media platforms then you are exposing your "honey hole" cause someone is going to recognize a peak or a basin or a lake...... and there has been oh sooo much talk on this forum recently about not talking about "spots" so........

Is for your ego? that will ruin your hunt right there. got to leave the ego at the door and go into these hills with humility and gratitude and the ego know neither.

Is for advertisement? well, see 1st paragraph.

is it to relive memories in later years - well then take copious notes every night and after the trip and not only will you have your memories but you will have details of your hunt that you can refer back on to remeber things to do and not to do in a given situation.

So why would anyone do something like that?

Last edited:

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing. The rabid self videoing epidemic that has hit our culture where people will choose to film every aspect of their life and post on social media is grave sickness of our culture. Black Mirror - a show available on Netflix - has an episode about this sort of thing and the outcome is not pretty.

bsnedeker

WKR
What's the point of videoing yourself doing anything? If you plan to share it on one of the social media platforms then you are exposing your "honey hole" cause someone is going to recognize a peak or a basin or a lake...... and there has been oh sooo much talk on this forum recently about not talking about "spots" so........

Is for your ego? that will ruin your hunt right there. got to leave the ego at the door and go into these hills with humility and gratefullness.

Is for advertisement? well, see 1st paragraph.

is it to relive memories in later years - well then take copious notes every night and after the trip and not only will you have your memories but you will have details of your hunt that you can refer back on to remeber things to do and not to do in a given situation.

So why would anyone do something like that?

How about to share with your friends and family in privacy...or do you have a family that just LOVES going over notepads?

bsnedeker

WKR
I have a gopro and my cellphone camera and try to film a bit of the hunt. I totally forget about it when there is any action, but I usually do a recap at the end of the day just talking about what happened. My family really appreciates the effort.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I havnt done it myself, I just snap pictures of cool stuff I see. I used to have a go pro and one thing I found was that I almost never watched any of the videos I took and I’m not a YouTuber so there was just no point.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feed back cause I really do want to know why.

I'm an old fart - well an old farty crumudgeon actually - and I write things down and tell my family and friends stories - painting the pictures with words and they love that as well.

I use to take photos here and there but have found that the spoken word conveys things in a much more engaging way. Plus we spend time together in person!

Never done it other than a clip or two Jere and there. A buddy filmed part of a pheasant hunt I did last year. It was fun to watch. Makes me think I ought to try it some day.

I just want to hunt and get away and in all honesty would refuse to hunt with someone that's filming it.

Not to mention the last thing I need is a video reminder of how much I can sometimes suck.

KSP277

WKR
Always find myself wishing I'd taken more pictures. I like flipping through the photo books with my kiddos or and old buddy

MtnOyster

WKR
I always take pics and videos of the hunt but when the $hit starts to hit the fan I've always got bow or gun in hand and i'm usually by myself.

There was a time a friend and I would take turns hunting and filming whitetail hunts. I hunt for me though and since moving west and going solo I don't care to try and film anything. I am the type that doesn't take pics on vacation either. I always say "I was there, why do I need a picture?". That said I have taken more picks lately while hunting. I also try and take more pics and video of my wife's hunts.

kamptown

FNG
I have never taken more than stills during any hunts. I really enjoy all the stories we share around the campfire about all the highs and lows of hunting. I really enjoy going through the old albums(some in black and white) of my family’s hunting photos. There is a story that goes along with every one. I will be trying to take some video, pictures, and many mental notes about my Idaho goat hunt this year. The main reason is it will be in an area the youngest, and oldest will not be able to join in because of the extreme terrain. Hunting has always been a time of making memories for my family, and that has always been more important to us than the harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I havent filmed any since the early 90's but really enjoyed it. Thinking seriously about getting back into it.

LostArra

WKR
Single and last experience with Go Pro on fishing trip in Alaska. I was driving boat and others fished (trolling for salmon).

Key to remember: turn off Go Pro when taking a piss off the side of boat.

Otherwise, no filming for me. Just occasional shots of animals

IdahoElk

WKR
I have a little video camera on me at all times and try to use it every day while hunting,not for me but for all the great/interesting things I see in the backcountry.

vanish

WKR
I haven't made up my mind yet. I took video on several hunts last year with my phone, and put together a few short videos. I really enjoyed them in the end, but I do feel it was a bit intrusive. It took away from the moment, if you will. I think I will continue to do so filming when I am a secondary on the hunt, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get "cool shots" or things like that.

mvmnts

WKR
The worst is when you meet someone and you're talking about hunting or previous hunts and then they gotta get their phone out and flick through photos while you stand there waiting so they can show you some animal they killed in the past. I don't really care, I just met you, I can see big animals all day on the internet. A description of the hunt or animal is just fine.

CorbLand

WKR
I have a buddy that has a real talent for filming/photo taking. He does some videoing and has done a little bit on our duck hunts. We have talked about getting into producing hunting videos but none of us want to invest the money or time into it. I like hunting while on film, its fun to be able to go back a watch things and see it from a different angle but its annoying when you have to worry about the camera as well as shooting and all the other things. Some people have a passion for it and love to show people what they do. Its no different than painting or any other passion someone has.