First aid suggestions

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Going to Alaska for a 15 day float hunt what first aid kits or list of stuff you take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
boliver29

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Do it yourself

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Well without getting carried away, I would take a standard first aid kit, then ask myself, what if. Alaska, so insects are going to be an issue at certain times of the year, so take that into consideration. Medical grade super glue in case of cuts where stitches would normally be needed and a good quality antiseptic. Last thing you want is for infection to set in. A lot of kits don't have anything for issues with the eyes, so at the very least a good eye flush solution. The list could go on and on but you can't possible be prepared for all possible issues. One thing that is always on the top of my list is something for pain relief, my choice is Alive. If you have done this before you know what you are in for, if not, do what you think is best.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet)
SAM splint
Tylenol
Benadryl
Eye rinse
Liquid sutures (crazy glue)
Anti-biotic ointment
Band aides
Bandages/dressings
Medical tape
Mole skin or similar
Tweezers (think splinter removal)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
How many other on this trip? If others, get together and go over what you think you may need and pool it all together in one kit or several smaller ones in the event you separate for the day. Make sure someone in your group is familiar with administration of first aid.

OP
boliver29

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Just two of us

There was a Kifarucast episode earlier this year with some sort of combat doctor that I believe dealt with a lot of special operations types. Had a lot of good info on what you're looking for in backcountry first aid. I just tried looking for it but can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else will remember?

Most any standard first aid kit with the addition of Quick Clot if it doesn't have any.

Unless you really know what you're doing, trying to do "field surgery" can create more problems...

Fatcamp

WKR
If you do a search you will find a long thread about this. Couple years old but it was really good.

Rich M

WKR
I second the antibiotics, quick clot, tourniquet, bandaids that stick - the one in the cheap first aid kits usually don't, pain killers.

The main thing is gonna be doing things a little more carefully. When I process fish and game, usually wear a cut proof glove on non-knife hand.

Be reasonable and have a great trip!