First backpack hunt gear list breakdown.

Nuke Man

WKR
Well here's what I took. What I thought about it and what I'll do different next time.

Backpack - Kifaru Mountain Warrior with Guide Lid, Grab it and a medium belt pouch. Worked great, had just enough room for 8 days worth of food/gear.

Tent - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 without the footprint. Had no condensation at all. Just enough room, but would have liked it to be bigger. Atleast more head room and a bigger vestibule. More than likely going to upgrade to a Copper Spur UL2.

Sleeping bag and Pad. Mountain Hardware Lamina Z flame 22 degree bag with a cheapo fleece liner and aThermarest Zlite small pad. Bag was great, probably go with a more compressible liner next time. The only reason for the liner was to keep the inside of the bag cleaner. I had no comfort issues with that foam pad. It was cheap and light.

Water stuff - Steripen and nalgene. Probably add some sort of prefilter next time. Also a gravity filter for large amounts of camp water. It got annoying doing 32oz at a time to fill a 3L platypus.

Electronics - Garmin 62s with OnX hunt chip, Delorme Inreach SE, smart phone, camcorder, and Dark Energy charger. Love the Garmin and chip combo! I won't go out without them. The Delorme, it worked good. For some reason every time I sent a message I would get a poor satellite signal message. I hit send anyway and it would eventually go through. Possibly due to me not keeping the unit powered up constantly? I paired my phone to it to make it way more user friendly. Definitely nice to have. Actually used it for an emergency call out to my buddies wife to get gps coordinates on a close wildfire that actually shortened our hunt! The charger worked without issue.

Kill kit - basically built the same as rokslide sells. Unfortunately I didn't get to use it....

Clothes - First lite merino top and bottoms and socks (2 pair). Love them! KUIU Attack pants, Pelaton 240, Kenai puffy, Guide Jacket and Chugach rain set. Did not need to bring the guide jacket, actually meant to take it out and leave it in the truck but forgot. Everything else was spot on! Under Armour boxers. 2 pair, worked fine. Also the KUIU merino gloves. Great gloves.

Boots - Salomon Quest 4d GTX. Second hunt with these boots. I really like them.

Lighting - $20 Coleman headlamp that has a red output and max 40 lumen led white light. It's super small, light and worked just fine. Backup headlamp was a cheap Petzl led. I use them alot at home, it was going to be my primary, but my hunting partner talked me into finding one with a red output. I also brought a super bright Surefire 6P Led handheld. Was going to use it mainly for blood trailing. I've had it for a long time. It will go forever on a set of batteries.

Cooking - Jetboil flash. Did just fine. I brought a big plastic cup and a small stainless steel mug. I think next time I'll go with a stove and pot kit. What I had was quite bulky.

Food - I'll say I brought too much. Heathers Choice dinners are freaking awesome. The buck wheat breakfasts suck! I need to get my food dialed in way better next time!

I also brought a cheap 4 × 8 tarp and 3 contractor garbage bags ( one I used as the footprint for my tent). I don't know, might not take them next time, or just a couple bags anyway.

Personable - toothbrush, paste. Contact solution with extra pairs and glasses. Instead of manscaping I used sport shield. Worked good and didn't have to shave the tenders! I don't know if my wife would've looked at me the same after that.......

Bring a fishing pole for down time! I had one in the truck and was really wishing I had packed it in.

Sidearm - Glock 19 in a Fobus paddle holster. I don't go anywhere without a pistol! Love my Glocks!!

Bow - Mathews Creed with 5 Easton FMJ arrows and Wac Em broadheads.

Biggest mistake, not having a plan C! Plans A and b were on fire...

Also a full Basecamp at the truck would have been nice had we hiked out a kill. After thinking about it, it would be ideal instead of possibly having to hike back to spike camp in the dark after a heavy haul out. I had a large tent in the truck, but all food and bags were on the mountain.

So take it as it is from a rookie flatlander. Already planning for revenge in 2017!

Bl704

WKR
Last edited:
Which heather meals??
What pack did you use??
The Delorme was easy to use setup??
Did u have a trial run before leaving??
Monthly service?
Have u had issues deactivating it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which heather meals??
What pack did you use??
The Delorme was easy to use setup??
Did u have a trial run before leaving??
Monthly service?
Have u had issues deactivating it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to be one to say do a search, but that's what I'm doing. It's been discussed a lot. The Inreach is great.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I had the salmon chowder and dark chocolate chili. Dang good!
Pack was Kifaru Mountain Warrior

I'm technology stupid, and yes the delorme was super easy to setup. They give you like 5 test messages, but they go to delorme. I texted the wife just to see what the texts looked like. Like I said in the original the delorme worked, but I kept getting poor satellite signal messages. It would eventually go through though. No problems deactivating either. Just be shure you do it. Otherwise it will continue to bill you. They are not secretive about that either. They 2arn you plenty!